Spragans | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spragans

miami_mi

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We did get him for a 2 year contract. Is he going to compete for a LB spot or mainly be used on special teams. Not too much is being said about him, he's not a bad player.

miami_mi said:
We did get him for a 2 year contract. Is he going to compete for a LB spot or mainly be used on special teams. Not too much is being said about him, he's not a bad player.

Who knows? He was a solid but unspectacular player with Denver. He didnt stand out doing anything, but wasnt bad at anything. I think he will probabaly end up doing special teams/rotational.

He'll do a little bit better than morlon...but hes not gonna make lots of plays, but he'll make solid efficient tackles

I think that Spragan will compete with Moore and maybe Crowder for that LB spot. If Spragan doesnt win the battle.....then he could have a big role in ST.

Donnie Spragan is a very smart player and has pretty good size at 6'3" 239lbs (Keep in mind Ray Lewis is 6'1" 245lbs). I think we picked up Spragan for a good reason, Saban obviously liked what he saw in him and loved his size and awareness of the game. I expect him to get a decent amount of playing time this year possibliy substituting in Seau and Crowder and maybe even starting a couple games.

painnotpleasure said:
Donnie Spragan is a very smart player and has pretty good size at 6'3" 239lbs (Keep in mind Ray Lewis is 6'1" 245lbs). I think we picked up Spragan for a good reason, Saban obviously liked what he saw in him and loved his size and awareness of the game. I expect him to get a decent amount of playing time this year possibliy substituting in Seau and Crowder and maybe even starting a couple games.

And I'm the size of Zach Thomas...so whats that going to prove. My point is, watching Spragen through out his career, he has done ABSOLUTLEY nothing to be considered a good player. And done nothing to be considered a bad player. He is as vanilla as it comes. He won't make a crushing hit, or INT, or force a fumbol. He will just cover his man, tackle if its in his box and thats it. Nothing great, nothing bad. Just AVERAGE. A cheaper Morlon, thats it.

Disgustipate said:
Who knows? He was a solid but unspectacular player with Denver. He didnt stand out doing anything, but wasnt bad at anything. I think he will probabaly end up doing special teams/rotational.

Ding Ding Ding....someone hit it on the money.

Hopefully Spragans can make some plays in Sabans system. Who knows how much playin time he'll get with Thomas, Seau, Crowder, Moore, etc,... I almost forgot we signed Spragans...lol

Buddwalk said:
He'll do a little bit better than morlon...but hes not gonna make lots of plays, but he'll make solid efficient tackles
that's a little harsh. Morlon was a very good footballer for us.

OrangeCrush said:
And I'm the size of Zach Thomas...so whats that going to prove. My point is, watching Spragen through out his career, he has done ABSOLUTLEY nothing to be considered a good player. And done nothing to be considered a bad player. He is as vanilla as it comes. He won't make a crushing hit, or INT, or force a fumbol. He will just cover his man, tackle if its in his box and thats it. Nothing great, nothing bad. Just AVERAGE. A cheaper Morlon, thats it.
I agree that the jury is still out on him, but from all the things I've heard about him, he's a SMART football player. The best thing I look is his contract is CHEAP. We signed him to a 2 year deal for 2 million. It really does sound like we're getting a bargain, I don't expect a lot out of him... I just think he's a good fit to the team and a good asset considering we're only paying him 1 million a year.

Here's his scouting report for anyone interested.

Assets:Solid in coverage. A sound tackler. Plays smart and takes good angles.
Flaws:Lacks great speed and range. Not a big play threat.
Career potential: Adequate backup.

And he most likely will be a backup for us for the most part (I still think that might end up getting a couple of starts this year).

i think moore will beat him out and play with zach and seau when we line up 4-3... as long as moore can stay healthy, im excpeting a big year out of him

I think Pope and Crowder will get more time. We will have to see how Spragen and Moore do in camp. I like the way Pope played last year when pressed to action. He will be better prepared for this season, and everything I read on Crowder is good.

Back
Top Bottom