Spread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spread

painnotpleasure

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
Alright, I'm not exactly sure where this would go..
But could someone explain the spread point system to me?
How exactly does it work?

painnotpleasure said:
Alright, I'm not exactly sure where this would go..
But could someone explain the spread point system to me?
How exactly does it work?

I'll try and explain it using the upcoming game between jax vs tenn.

Tennesse is favored by 6 points. So the spread is Tennesse -6. When the game is over you will subtract 6 points from Tenn's score. So if the final score is:

Jax 17
Tenn 20

According to the spread the final score is

Jax 17
Tenn 14

The spread is for betting purposes. Jaxsonville is the winner against the point spread even though they would have lost the game...

--Ross

Ross said:
I'll try and explain it using the upcoming game between jax vs tenn.

Tennesse is favored by 6 points. So the spread is Tennesse -6. When the game is over you will subtract 6 points from Tenn's score. So if the final score is:

Jax 17
Tenn 20

According to the spread the final score is

Jax 17
Tenn 14

The spread is for betting purposes. Jaxsonville is the winner against the point spread even though they would have lost the game...

--Ross
That's what I thought, but what's the whole point of the 1/2.... like 6 1/2.. that always throws me off. And the home team automatically gets 3 points, right? Thanks for replying.

In theroy every team is considered 3 points better at home than away. So if you see a home team with lesss than a 3 point spread, Las Vegas considers the away team the better team if the game were on a neutral field...

The 1/2 point is to ensure no tie. Lets keep the same teams as in my above example and make the spread 6 & 1/2 points

Final score of the game is
Jax 14
Tenn 20

After the spread
Jax 14
Tenn 13 1/2

Jaxsonville is the winner against the point spread by a 1/2 point even though they would have lost the game...

--Ross

Back
Top Bottom