Spurrier exchanges verbal jabs with Tommy Bowden | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spurrier exchanges verbal jabs with Tommy Bowden

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
clear.gif

South Carolina's Steve Spurrier (right) has taken exception to a comment made by Clemson's Tommy Bowden (left).

A quip about Steve Spurrier's recent raise may have woken up South Carolina's ball coach, who sounds more than ready to spar with another member of the Bowden family.

It was well into Clemson's early December gathering about bowl preparations when coach Tommy Bowden, fresh off a 7-5 regular season, was asked about the nearly half-million dollar raise Spurrier received after also going 7-5. "It's amazing how this thing works because I'm at a place where seven gets you fired. He's at a place where seven gets you a raise," Bowden said.

Bowden's line got a chuckle from the room. It also apparently got Spurrier's attention.

Spurrier fired back a couple of weeks later, telling Bowden if he hoped for a similar raise to talk to his bosses and find out if they think he's as good as coach as Spurrier or others.

Now twice in the past week, Spurrier had pointed words for his in-state rival to the delight of Game**** fans and the ire of Tiger supporters.
The latest jab came last Sunday when Spurrier denied he tried to poach assistant Chris Rumph away from the Tigers.

"Someone in the Upstate is lying," Spurrier told The (Columbia) State on Sunday.
Spurrier's statement followed word that Bowden, through a school spokesman, had said Rumph was called by a South Carolina assistant.
On Wednesday, Spurrier remained unsure how Clemson got the idea he wanted Rumph. "I don't know how they arrived at that," he said. "You'd have to ask them."

Bowden did not want to comment, according to a school spokesman. Rumph did not return phone messages.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/02/14/spurrier.bowden.ap/index.html

we filled that coaching position with Frank Beamer's son... he will have extensive special teams duties as well as Outside LB's from what i have been told.

hopefully he can call on daddy at VT to get some insight on how the Hokies manage to block so many punts. :yes:

we filled that coaching position with Frank Beamer's son... he will have extensive special teams duties as well as Outside LB's from what i have been told.

hopefully he can call on daddy at VT to get some insight on how the Hokies manage to block so many punts. :yes:
That could be a great pick up. Frank Beamer has had the most consistently outstanding Special Teams in college. The dude's like Yoda with special teams.

That could be a great pick up. Frank Beamer has had the most consistently outstanding Special Teams in college. The dude's like Yoda with special teams.

i am crossing my fingers and toes... South Carolina tends to give up blocks (as Florida fans are well aware of after this years game), instead of getting them. :)

Back
Top Bottom