Spurs' Popovich named Coach of the Year | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spurs' Popovich named Coach of the Year

dreday

future of the funk
Reaction score
NEW YORK -- San Antonio's Gregg Popovich is the recipient of the Red Auerbach Trophy as the 2011-12 NBA Coach of the Year, the NBA announced today.

Popovich, who also earned the honor in 2002-03, totaled 467 points, including 77 first-place votes, from a panel of 119 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Coaches were awarded five points for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third-place vote. The award was tabulated by the independent accounting firm of Ernst & Young LLP.

In his 16th season as head coach of the Spurs, Popovich guided San Antonio to a league-tying-best 50-16 (.758) record. With Popovich at the helm, the Spurs ranked second in the league in scoring (103.7 ppg) and point-differential (+7.2). In the second half of the season, however, the Spurs were the league's most dominant team, posting an NBA-best 26-6 (.813) record while averaging league highs in scoring (108.3 ppg) and point-differential (+10.8). In the process, Popovich guided the Spurs to their 15th consecutive postseason berth, which is the longest active streak in the NBA.

The Spurs finished the season winning 10 straight games, 24 of their last

27 and 38 of their last 45. San Antonio won at least 50 games for the 13th consecutive season -- all under Popovich's tenure -- surpassing the Los Angeles Lakers (1979-80 to 1990-91) for the longest streak in NBA history.

The Spurs also set a franchise mark with three double-digit winning streaks.

Popovich was named the Coach of the Month in February and March, giving him

...good for Pop...always liked him as a coach....even though he's the enemy....I do look for the Spurs to redeem themselves (as well as my Lakers) from last season's playoffs exit...and they may very well get to exercise their demons against the Grizzlies in round 2...

Well Deserved! I still laugh at Pop's Hack a Shaq ahahahaha

Back
Top Bottom