Stand Pat, Trade down, or Trade up? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stand Pat, Trade down, or Trade up?

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see what the brothers and sisters thought about the upcoming draft. If Brady Quinn is gone, do we trade down for more Day 1 picks, and still get a lineman or do we trade up for the best lineman in the draft? It may cost us too much to move up. I have a feeling Randy and Cam, may trade down a time or two to acquire more draft picks to fill holes we have to fill.:wink:

Your thoughts.....

If Brady is gone, do you think anyone will be wanting to trade up to the 9th spot? I am of a mixed mind when it comes to Quinn. One part of me wants him to be as good as he is reported the other just doesn't buy it. That part is winning so I say trade down and get more draft picks.

If Brady is gone, do you think anyone will be wanting to trade up to the 9th spot? I am of a mixed mind when it comes to Quinn. One part of me wants him to be as good as he is reported the other just doesn't buy it. That part is winning so I say trade down and get more draft picks.
Nothing new, but we agree.
I HATE trading up. The problem is all these reports come out on the prospects, and the first 15 or so sound like can't miss players. But, we all know it's still a crap shoot. The failure rate, even in the top 10, is still far too much for me to stomach the cost of trading up. The only top ten guys I am sold on are C. Johnson, A. Peterson, and L. Landry. Obviously, I'm far from an expert, but how often does trading up work out for teams? Not enough for me.

I would much rather trade down for Kalil. I know everyone thinks LT is end all for the OL, but I think the C is pretty close to his equal. If we got Kalil, Hadnot could move back to RG (where I think he's much better)

I really don't know what I want, I would like to see Green and Quinn here, but I really don't think it will happen. I don't want to trade away picks as it seems we need the picks we are getting.

I know this really does not give you an answer, but I really don't know, but I like what we are doing so far.

I think it all depends what happens in front of us, and if some team is interested in trading with us, and we can still get the player or a player that we really want. I think an extra first day pick could go a long way for this team.:wink:

The only other person that I would want at the #9 spot is Levi Brown. I do not know if he is worth the #9 pick but with the way we are losing offensive linemen, he seems like the best pne after Thomas.

I like the theory of trading down but one has to watch the execution of the deal Remember when JJ traded down away from Randy Moss to pick.....wait for it.....John Avery! By making that trade he added three picks, none of whom made it out of training camp!

I like the theory of trading down but one has to watch the execution of the deal Remember when JJ traded down away from Randy Moss to pick.....wait for it.....John Avery! By making that trade he added three picks, none of whom made it out of training camp!

Totally agree. Stay pat and pick BPA - unless we get a good offer and think we could get our guy and another pick.

I think there's two philosophies in trading down.
One would be just to trade down to a section of the draft finding the
absolute best value possible.
The other is much more targeted with a specific player or two in mind, and possibly accepting less value in return.
I favor the latter, as it demonstrates a deliberate strategy, which I feel lessens the risk of missing out on a homerun.

I would agree with either direction in these cases.......

Trade up......
If Tampa Bay is really looking to trade down and Calvin Johnson is still on the board it would only cost us our #9 and #40 picks. To me, he's definitely worth that price. If he slips past them even better. Only scenario I would be happy trading up with, unless of course Randy and Cam think Quinn is worth trading up for, but I still think the price is to steep to go higher than #4.

Trade Down.....
Of course this depends on who is available at #9 but I'm always for stockpiling more picks. If we could trade down to the early-mid teens and still nab Brown/Nelson/Carriker/Houston/Revis/etc.... I'd be very happy.

When you are in a rebuilding mode you need quantity over quality so I hope we trade down.

Of course its pointless if you dont have a good eye for talent as someone has mentioned.

Only if we have a decent shot at Quinn could I see us trading up.

One thing to remember is that trading down is not easy to do.You have to have a little luck that a player that some team wants is still available .

When you are in a rebuilding mode you need quantity over quantity so I hope we trade down.

Of course its pointless if you dont have a good eye for talent as someone has mentioned.

Only if we have a decent shot at Quinn could I see us trading up.

One thing to remember is that trading down is not easy to do.You have to have a little luck that a player that some team wants is still available .

hmmm, methinks you have mistyped sir....

I'll trade down and get as many picks as possible we need more than couple of players to change this thing around.

I'll trade down and get as many picks as possible we need more than couple of players to change this thing around.

All comments like this should include the codicil

A. Assuming we can find a partner who wants to trade up and is willing to give us the appropriate value

and

B. We know what we are doing with the extra picks and get the people we need anyway.

Back
Top Bottom