Start of Free Agency - Player news thread. | Page 149 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Start of Free Agency - Player news thread.

I am not including two seconds to take on that kind of salary from two players.

I'll wait it out the Byard situation. Whenever he's ready to win a Super Bowl and be apart of the best defense in the league, I am willing to make it happen.

I'll revisit Derrick Henry at the trade deadline.
We’d only be taking on a combined $12 million in 2023 cap hits for Henry and Byard if we traded for them today. So with Ced Wilson going out plus us taking back two players for one, it would only cost us an additional $5 million against the 2023 cap.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be glad to pay less. But I think lots of teams would give them a second for Byard, and/or a third for Henry. So two seconds is likely the cost.

How do you like Horvat?
Yeah, Horvat was a big get for you guys...see ya in the playoffs...Leafs gonna get past round 1 this year!
you guys like chess?
Hi Big Nasty - I like chess! We should hookup for a game sometime on iChess - I usually can get a win 50/50 at level 3, level 4's tough.

Who's your favorite player of all time - I like Gary Kasparov and Bobby Fischer.

To be fair, I think KK was a great find, displaying excellent technique, good assignment soundness and expect him to improve going forward.

Having said that, I also felt we needed to either draft a CB with our rd2 or sign a starter quality FA.

You are right, though. Many don't give KK the credit he earned.
IMO it depended on the health of Needham and Trill. If those two were healthy (and as reported Needham was expected to re-sign) then I saw 4 starter level CBs on the roster. That's pretty good. I don't see 4 starter level CBs on most rosters. But even after the trade for Ramsey, I've seen at least a couple of posts still saying we should still draft a CB b/c we need the depth so I think some people don't understand how much depth we have relative to almost any NFL rosters. Obviously, if we lose 4 CB starters to injury then we'd be screwed but so would any team. It's just not possible or reasonable to expect that we should be 8-10 deep at every position.

Probably all true.

Unlike Henry and Cook however, you try really hard to make this one work.

Hard not to wonder what if with this guy.
No doubt, he is an outstanding player and would flourish with Fangio but I just don't see it being economically feasable.

The Fins have to extend Wilkins and Williams and Hunt as well as budget for a potential big QB deal with Tua. Not to mention having to extend their great draft class of Holland/Waddle and Phillips down the line.

The fact that he refused to take a pay cut off of 13 million says he won't be signing with a new team for peanuts.

He is one of the top 2-3 S in the League, should Tenn cut him a team with more cash than Miami will sign him.
The thing about these top players is beyond the cash they wanna go to a winner...which is what we are gonna be. Sign him on the cheap with a huge signing bonus and keep him around for 2-3 years while we go on our run. Our D would be nearly the best, if not the best and anything is possible with creative accounting...trust me, my business depends on it!

We’d only be taking on a combined $12 million in 2023 cap hits for Henry and Byard if we traded for them today. So with Ced Wilson going out plus us taking back two players for one, it would only cost us an additional $5 million against the 2023 cap.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be glad to pay less. But I think lots of teams would give them a second for Byard, and/or a third for Henry. So two seconds is likely the cost.

Byard’s salary is 13.6M this year.

Agree 100%. He is underestimated because he didn't get drafted, comes from an outpost like Texas A & M - Commerce (that few scouts cover) and he originally came from Ivory Coast. It is a very unusual and highly unlikely background for the NFL. Kader Kohou flew completely under the radar but the fundamental talent is there and his upside is self evident. It should also be noted that Kader was not intimidated when given the opportunity. For once, the Miami Dolphins got an absolute steal and full marks go to the scout who found him.
Well, Boyer apparently, is the one who overturned that stone. He had some obvious shortcomings as a DC, but his nose for DBs is pretty good.

There were certainly several posts here pushing the need for CBs before FA that didn't seem to recognize how good Kohou is.
Yup and now he's gonna have Ramsey and Fangio mentoring his further progress. Great move to keep the kid here. Nice story too...UD

There were certainly several posts here pushing the need for CBs before FA that didn't seem to recognize how good Kohou is.
I'm still advocating for a CB. Because you can never have enough in a pass happy NFL. Miami has three DB's, two of which are CB's coming back from injury. With no guarantee they'll return to full health and/or form. Byron Jones, if anything proved, recovery isn't a given. It be wise of Miami to hedge their bets in the draft. If 2022 taught them anything, they needed like 10 CB's just to get through the season. It's not about how good Kohou is or can be, it's more about providing seriously good depth. Especially with Howard also being a huge unknown.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. He is underestimated because he didn't get drafted, comes from an outpost like Texas A & M - Commerce (that few scouts cover) and he originally came from Ivory Coast. It is a very unusual and highly unlikely background for the NFL. Kader Kohou flew completely under the radar but the fundamental talent is there and his upside is self evident. It should also be noted that Kader was not intimidated when given the opportunity. For once, the Miami Dolphins got an absolute steal and full marks go to the scout who found him.
Rumour was it was Boyer. Bless his fired ass.

Back
Top Bottom