Start of Free Agency - Player news thread. | Page 150 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Start of Free Agency - Player news thread.

While I'll never say no to drafting a CB. I do think it is worth considering that CB is one of those positions where quite a few UDFA and late rounders end up being pretty good.

Kohou, Needham, and Trill all fit this profile.

When ya get mentored by Ramsey - he's gonna impart toughness and swagger on the kid.
Meh, mentoring is more about personality and willingness to impart experience/wisdom than simply traits rubbing off.

Left you wide open @circumstances

Last edited:
Yup and now he's gonna have Ramsey and Fangio mentoring his further progress. Great move to keep the kid here. Nice story too...UD
I think Kohou is a good fit for a Fangio system. Fangio wants his DBs to recognize runs, screens and such and react quickly to nullify those. Kohou is very good at that.

BTW that's also what I saw in our FA signing at S. Elliot is really good at attacking from depth. He wasn't my top S target but I do see him as a starter level S and having a 3rd starter level S is a big need in a Fangio system. Entering FA, I had signing a 3rd starter level S as our second biggest FA priority behind an athletic MLB. I saw those two pieces as requirements for a Fangio system.

I'm still advocating for a CB. Because you can never have enough in a pass happy NFL. Miami has three DB's, two of which are CB's coming back from injury. With no guarantee they'll return to full health and/or form. Byron Jones, if anything proved, recovery isn't a given. It be wise of Miami to hedge their bets in the draft. If 2022 taught them anything, they needed like 10 CB's just to get through the season. It's not about how good Kohou is or can be, it's more about providing seriously good depth. Especially with Howard also being a huge unknown.
I just don't see it as a reasonable expectation unless you severely cut into depth or or even starters at too many other positions.

I just don't see it as a reasonable expectation unless you severely cut into depth or or even starters at too many other positions.
But, I'm advocating drafting a CB, not signing one in F/A. Miami has already traded for Ramsey. They've got their starters. But depth is questionable behind Kohou, due to injury recoveries.

As things stands now... If both teams are 100% healthy... If Miami's down 3 vs Buffalo with 4 minutes on the clock and the Dolphins have Tua, Hill and Waddle on the field I like Miami's chances. If Miami's up 3 with Phillips and Chubb on the edge and Howard and Ramsey on the corners, I like Miami's chance.

But, I'm advocating drafting a CB, not signing one in F/A. Miami has already traded for Ramsey. They've got their starters. But depth is questionable behind Kohou, due to injury recoveries.
My point is that we arguably already have the best secondary in the league. Some are coming off of injury, but that's the same other teams as well. (For example, Buffalo, another great secondary, has Micah Hyde coming off injury). Having players coming off of injury doesn't mean they don't count. It's the NFL, every team has players coming back form injury that they will have to rely on.

So if you already have the best secondary in the league, it's tough to say we need or even should add depth to that area. I believe in drafting BPA, especially at premium positions so if a CB is the BPA at some point fine, but I wouldn't go in thinking that's something we need to address.

Well, Boyer apparently, is the one who overturned that stone. He had some obvious shortcomings as a DC, but his nose for DBs is pretty good.
Credit where credit is due.

Boyer is some kind of small school UDFA DB genius.

He did it in NE and he did it in Miami.

Did he get hired anywhere? I thought Flores might find a spot for him in Minnesota.

Back
Top Bottom