starter's cap charges...defense dominates | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

starter's cap charges...defense dominates

DannyNoonan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The Dolphins have more than twice as much salary-cap space devoted to the projected defensive starters ($33.4 million) as the offensive starters (15.5). The team spent $5 million more in cap dollars on three defensive players (Patrick Surtain, Jason Taylor, Sam Madison) than on the entire projected starting offense. Comparing the salaries of the Dolphins' projected starters:

OFFENSE
Player Pos. Cap charge
Jay Fiedler QB $2.0M
Ricky Williams RB $2.6M
Rob Konrad FB $.68M
Chris Chambers WR $.69M
James McKnight WR $1.9M
Randy McMichael TE $.39M
Mark Dixon LT $.76M
Jamie Nails LG $.53M
Tim Ruddy C $1.8M
Todd Perry RG $1.5M
Todd Wade RT $.70M
Olindo Mare K $1.9M
Total cap charge $15.5M

DEFENSE
Player Pos. Cap charge
Jason Taylor DE $7.8M
Tim Bowens DT $1.5M
Larry Chester DT $1.1M
Adewale Ogunleye DE $.38M
Junior Seau OLB $1.6M
Zach Thomas MLB $3.6M
Morlon Greenwood OLB $.53M
Sam Madison CB $7.0M
Patrick Surtain CB $7.3M
Sammy Knight SS $.7M
Brock Marion FS $1.4M
Mark Royals P $.48M
Total cap charge $33.4M

Note: Salary includes base salary (minus any veteran exemption), roster, reporting or workout bonuses due plus the prorated portion of any signing bonuses. It does not include incentives.

Sources: NFL Players' Association data, NFL source.

Well, that only goes to figure that Dave Wanny is, was, and always will be, a defensive minded coach. So it just goes to figure that the D is the main focal point. Even with Jimmy Johnson, you could see the defense starting to become more built up. I think the mindset is to get an offense that can control the ball and not lose the game and a defense that can make a grown man cry.

we've all known this. The money has been on the defence for a long time now. I just hope that they'll play like it on the road this coming year!

Mare has the life.

He makes 2 mill a year to kick the ball a few times ;p.

slightly different figures

The Dolphins have more than twice as much salary-cap space devoted to the projected defensive starters ($33.4 million) as the offensive starters (15.5). The team spent $5 million more in cap dollars on three defensive players (Patrick Surtain, Jason Taylor, Sam Madison) than on the entire projected starting offense. Comparing the salaries of the Dolphins' projected starters:

Some of my figures are different....

OFFENSE
Player Pos. Cap charge
Jay Fiedler QB $2.0M----------------2.8M
Ricky Williams RB $2.6M
Rob Konrad FB $.68M
Chris Chambers WR $.69M----------.68575M
James McKnight WR $1.9M---------1.96M
Randy McMichael TE $.39M----------.393125M
Mark Dixon LT $.76M-----------------.763333M
Jamie Nails LG $.53M----------------.45M (Veteran minimum)
Tim Ruddy C $1.8M-------------------1.755M
Todd Perry RG $1.5M
Todd Wade RT $.70M-----------------.7118M
Olindo Mare K $1.9M-----------------1.916M
Total cap charge $15.5M------------16.215M

DEFENSE
Player Pos. Cap charge
Jason Taylor DE $7.8M--------------6.8M
Tim Bowens DT $1.5M--------------1.45M
Larry Chester DT $1.1M
Adewale Ogunleye DE $.38M------.375M
Junior Seau OLB $1.6M------------1.091M
Zach Thomas MLB $3.6M
Morlon Greenwood OLB $.53M----.529M
Sam Madison CB $7.0M------------6.996M
Patrick Surtain CB $7.3M----------7.04375M
Sammy Knight SS $.7M------------.68M
Brock Marion FS $1.4M-------------1.35M
Mark Royals P $.48M--------------.475M
Total cap charge $33.4M----------31.48975M

Just slight differences.

Note: Salary includes base salary (minus any veteran exemption), roster, reporting or workout bonuses due plus the prorated portion of any signing bonuses. It does not include incentives.

Sources: NFL Players' Association data, NFL source.

my figures were from a Sun-Sentinel e-mail...they could be off, since the press has been known to make errors on occasion.

Why do you have Mare under offense and Royals under defense? They are special teamers, they don't play offense or defense.

Which writer on the Sun? The one I was most confused on was Fiedler. I'm almost positive its 2.8M...the point remains, that the D starters take up twice the cap room.

Originally posted by LdoubleE80
Which writer on the Sun? The one I was most confused on was Fiedler. I'm almost positive its 2.8M...the point remains, that the D starters take up twice the cap room.

I'm not sure...it wasn't mentioned. It came a an e-mail as part of the Fins Insider service with the Sun-Sentinel. I thought it was an intersteing point, so I put it up on the board here.

Originally posted by LdoubleE80

Here's the article.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ay14,0,2805803.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

I agree that Fiedler's cap number is $2.8M and many of the differences are due to their rounding. Where did you get the vet minimum for Nails?? KFFL reported him signing a two year contract.

Originally posted by KFFL
Dolphins | Nails Signed to Two-year Deal - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:55:15 -0800

MiamiDolphins.com reports the Miami Dolphins signed G Jamie Nails to a two-year deal.

I don't think you guys have any cap problems to worry about on defense. If push came to shove, management could restructure Taylor, Madison, and Surtain with bigger signing bonuses and more cap friendly salaries. The fact that they only had to ask Zach Thomas to restructure is a good indication that you guys should be fine for this year.

Nails is 530,000. Just me being stupid. I forgot that although Nails receives the minimum (based on his years of service), that it only counts for the 450,000 cap charge if its a one-year deal. Nails' deal was for 2 years (02 and 03).

Back
Top Bottom