----------Statistical Comparison: Mare/Vinatieri/Vanderjagt/Edinger | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

----------Statistical Comparison: Mare/Vinatieri/Vanderjagt/Edinger

Which kicker do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Over the past 3 years, Vanderjagt's numbers are actually slightly better on the road and outdoors than they are at home and indoors. While he's been criticized as a choker, he's been very good in "late and close" situations (90%+). Vinatieri, not surprisingly, has been perfect in late and close situations over the last 3 years. Mare has been decent, but not as good as the other 2 (10/14). Mare is much better at kicking off and has better range than the other 2.

You can look at the statistics, distance, accuracy all you want, but the bottom line is how does a kicker do in clutch situations when the game is on the line.....Vinitieri has done the best when the game was on the line....I appreciate what Olido has done but he often booms a 50 yarder and then misses a gimme kick. I think we should keep Mare one more year and then draft Mason Crosby of CU next year....maybe even with a 2nd rounder...he has the strongest leg I have seen.

Roman529 said:
You can look at the statistics, distance, accuracy all you want, but the bottom line is how does a kicker do in clutch situations when the game is on the line.....Vinitieri has done the best when the game was on the line....I appreciate what Olido has done but he often booms a 50 yarder and then misses a gimme kick. I think we should keep Mare one more year and then draft Mason Crosby of CU next year....maybe even with a 2nd rounder...he has the strongest leg I have seen.

I respect what you're saying, but you can talk about "clutch" (subjective), and, yes, Vinatieri has shown to be "clutch".
But Mare has made some "clutch" kicks as well when he's had the chance.(Denver game a couple years ago comes to mind).

Also, I can turn your statement around on you about Vinatieri. How would you like it if Vinatieri made the gimme kick, but then (at the end of a close game) couldn't make a 54 yarder (whereas Mare could've).

I'll take my chances that Mare will make the "gimme" kick AND the 54 yarder (where I'd have serious doubts about Vinatieri, he's 0/4 in the last 3 years on 50+ FGs, they hardly even give him the chance anymore)...

To boot, I bet Mare's cheaper than Vinatieri's new contract (details undisclosed currently). So we have more cap space with Mare...

Back
Top Bottom