Stephen Ross | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stephen Ross

He has always been willing to open his wallet and spend money but unfortunately he has spent that money on overrated players and ineffective player personnel employees. He has done a bad job when hiring head coaches in the past but hopefully Flores will turn out to be a good hire over the long run.

As far as putting money into the stadium is concerned. He did that so he could attract major events like the SB and the college championship to Miami. This might have a benefit to the area but it also benefits Ross because he gets a huge kickback from the county every time a large event is held in the stadium.

As a long time season ticket holder, I was just as happy sitting in the old dilapidated Orange Bowl watching the Dolphins and Hurricanes as I am in watching a game in the new and improved stadium. I go to the games to watch the game and the rest of the hoopla surrounding Dolphins the stadium is irrelevant to me.

Give me teams as good as what the Dolphins and Hurricanes were over 20 years ago and I‘ll enjoy going to the games if they are played in the worst stadium in the league. What’s the use of having a billion dollar plus stadium if the product you put in it is bad.

He tries to put a good product on the field, but has just failed at it thus far. All it takes is him to hit on a coaching staff (possibly already has) who also find a franchise QB and when the team starts winning games, the fans' views on him probably change a lot.

Not sure how an owner can be responsible game results. All he can do is hire the correct GM and coach. Ross has always been willing to spend money so that isn't the issue. Only blame I could point is the hiring of the GM (Tannebaum) or sticking with guys like Philbin or Gase? I respect that he wants to have some continuity and loyalty but those traits can backfire. He has remained out of the football operations and I respect that also.

He did the renovations, and correct me if I am wrong, mainly because the NFL said they would not hold another Super Bowl there until there was a significant upgrade to the facility.... well he did exactly that.
He tries to put a good product on the field, but has just failed at it thus far. All it takes is him to hit on a coaching staff (possibly already has) who also find a franchise QB and when the team starts winning games, the fans' views on him probably change a lot.

I think every owner tries to put a good product on the field and hire a good head coach. Yet when you look at the teams who consistently seem to be at the top or rebuilt quickly when they do have a down year, it is the same owners who seem to know what they are doing. While the teams that tend to consistently struggle to be better than mediocre at best, have owners who never seem capable of hiring the right
people to get the job done correctly.

So far Ross Has been an owner that fits into that second group of owners and not the first group.

I think every owner tries to put a good product on the field and hire a good head coach. Yet when you look at the teams who consistently seem to be at the top or rebuilt quickly when they do have a down year, it is the same owners who seem to know what they are doing. While the teams that tend to consistently struggle to be better than mediocre at best, have owners who never seem capable of hiring the right
people to get the job done correctly.

So far Ross Has been an owner that fits into that second group of owners and not the first group.
Some are good at it, some are too control happy, and the rest just get lucky. People rave about Kraft as an owner, but once Belichick and Brady disappear do you really expect that team to be anything more than the Jets/Dolphins/Bills at this point?

Not sure how an owner can be responsible game results. All he can do is hire the correct GM and coach. Ross has always been willing to spend money so that isn't the issue. Only blame I could point is the hiring of the GM (Tannebaum) or sticking with guys like Philbin or Gase? I respect that he wants to have some continuity and loyalty but those traits can backfire. He has remained out of the football operations and I respect that also.
The product on the field is 100% the responsibility of ownership. He is the person responsible for hiring every individual who works in the organization. If he isn’t hiring the right people to select the players or the coaches who teach the player and the product is bad, he is the only person who can fire those people and hire someone else to develop a better product.

When you say he has stayed out of football operations, that is not exactly true. While he may not be involved like Jerry Jones is with the Cowboys. He is directly involved simply because he is the person who decided to hire each individual who is responsible for the product on the field. Team owners get to make all the personnel decisions but they are never the person who is fired because they hired bad employees. Since they own the team they just keep hiring and firings people they selected for those jobs and hope they eventually get it right.

If they finally get it right, fans are happy. In most cases Owners rarely ever get it right and fans simply blame the front office, the coaches, and the players and the owner who hired all these individuals is given a pass simply because he is the owner and he is free to do whatever he wants to with his organization.

Some are good at it, some are too control happy, and the rest just get lucky. People rave about Kraft as an owner, but once Belichick and Brady disappear do you really expect that team to be anything more than the Jets/Dolphins/Bills at this point?
Personally if the Dolphins were as successful as the Patriots have been over the last 20 years, I would have no problem with them becoming a mediocre team once their great HC and QB were no longer part of the team.

In fact since I have been a Dolphin fan since 1966, I was there during the years of the great Dolphin teams. So when they first began their drift toward mediocrity I understood. Because I had always expected that it was only a matter of time before Shula would retire and Marino would come to the end of his career. So when these things happened, I accepted that a period had come in which the Dolphins would not be the dominant team in the AFC East and they would have to rebuild around younger players, a new QB and a new head coach.

Unfortunately at the time I never realized that 20 years later the Dolphins would still be nothing but a mediocre franchise and we would once again be rebuilding a team that really hasn’t been in the upper echelon of NFL teams since Marino was in his prime.

Personally if the Dolphins were as successful as the Patriots have been over the last 20 years, I would have no problem with them becoming a mediocre team once their great HC and QB were no longer part of the team.

In fact since I have been a Dolphin fan since 1966, I was there during the years of the great Dolphin teams. So when they first began their drift toward mediocrity I understood. BecauseI had always expected that it was only a matter of time before Shula would retire and Marino would come to the end of his career. So when these things happened, I accepted that a period had come in which the Dolphins would not be the dominant team in the AFC East and they would have to rebuild around younger players, a new QB and a new head coach.

Unfortunately at the time I never realized that 20 years later the Dolphins would still be nothing but a mediocre franchise and we would once again be rebuilding a team that really hasn’t been in the upper echelon of NFL teams since Marino was in his prime.
My point is that the Patriots aren't going to be some great, sustainable team because Kraft is the owner. Sometimes as an owner you luck out and the guy that you hired turns out to be super legit. It doesn't necessarily mean you're great at hiring everybody and weeding out the bad hires.

The most important aspect of what makes a great owner is, when it's time to spend the money, does he do so...With Ross the answer is a big YES.

He fails at finding the right people to make the decisions, but there is a chance (hopefully) this time around, he found quality people to run his Organization.

If he actually did hit on gold, then this is where in 5 years, someone like Ross is thought of as a top 10, top 5, or best owner in Football.

I like him a lot
Met him once in NY, classiest guy you’ll ever meet
He’s a good owner, doesn’t meddle and pays big money. He made some mistakes along the way because of being a new owner but still doesn’t try to act as something he is not. He’ll get this right

I'm interested in knowing what fans think of him as our owner. Aside from renovating Hard Rock, are his signed checks for all the failed free agents and bad coaching hires AND his 7.34 wins a season enough for a free pass? And do you think it is wise to have a non-football guy own this team? On ESPN today, Rick Ross and Dwayne Wade are reportedly interested in heading up a minority ownership bid. I think new blood is needed in Miami, instead of the sleepy old man owning the team. I have had enough of that.
I'm guessing you are not going to like the succession plan then.

I'm interested in knowing what fans think of him as our owner. Aside from renovating Hard Rock, are his signed checks for all the failed free agents and bad coaching hires AND his 7.34 wins a season enough for a free pass? And do you think it is wise to have a non-football guy own this team? On ESPN today, Rick Ross and Dwayne Wade are reportedly interested in heading up a minority ownership bid. I think new blood is needed in Miami, instead of the sleepy old man owning the team. I have had enough of that.
He's a great owner that has done the best he can to improve this team. This isn't an easy to win league. The hires he's made on the coaches and GM's he's hired have all been guys widely regarded in the league as the best young hire available. The problem is most of those guys don't work out. The great ones don't move very often.

I think his heart is in the right place and i think he's taken for granted by our fans. He's turned the stadium into a world class game day experience and from what i know is not done with it.

My issue with him is his refusal to clean the slate. He always leaves some kind of leftover from the prior failed regime to run the team and he refuses to learn from it.

Back
Top Bottom