Stephen Ross | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stephen Ross

Dwayne Wade estimated net worth in 2019 - $95M
Rick Ross estimated net worth in 2019 - $35M
Stephen Ross estimated net worth in 2019 - $7.7B - ie $7,700M

On these estimates, Mr Ross has over 70 times Dwayne Wade's net worth. Wade was an incredible basketball for the Heat. Rick Ross is a rapper. However, they are not in Mr Ross' financial orbit to consider purchasing the Miami Dolphins.
Yep. Check the cost of last NFL team bought. Those guys can contribute crumbs. Kind of like our celeb " owners"

so an owner of a restaurant shouldn't understand the food business?
Bad analogy. There are many restaurant and food chain owners who know nothing about running a restaurant. A family member of mine owns a construction company, a hotel, and several restaurants and he has no idea how to run any of them. What he does know is how to put the right people in place, and then provide the financial platform that enables them to succeed.

Bad analogy. There are many restaurant and food chain owners who know nothing about running a restaurant. A family member of mine owns a construction company, a hotel, and several restaurants and he has no idea how to run any of them. What he does know is how to put the right people in place, and then provide the financial platform that enables them to succeed.
By any chance, does your friend have any interest in purchasing the Dolphins?

It's amusing that someone living in this sports market could look at Ross, look at Loria/Sherman, and think that everyone is in the same universe as an owner just because we haven't been successful on the field.

Some owners like Loria literally took your money and stuffed it into their pockets. Ross's only affect on you is being unhappy on Sundays more often than you'd like.
No one stated that an owner like Ross is similar to a crook like Loria. I appreciate the fact Ross wants to win and he is willing to spend the money to do whatever it takes to bring a winner to Miami.

That still doesn’t change the fact that as an owner he isn’t just judged by how much money he spends but by the product he puts on the field each week. It is the hiring of the individuals in the organization that the owner has total control over and when it makes errors in his hiring, the product suffers on the field.

Personally I think Ross is a nice guy and when it comes to his real estate business, he is a genius, IMO. My only problem with him is he has hired several duds to run the football team since he became the owner and that is the reason the Dolphins were forced to go into last season in complete rebuild mode.

I am certainly willing to give Ross the benefit of the doubt on the hiring of Flores because I think Flores did an excellent job last season getting a very untalented team to play hard each and every week. Hopefully Flores continues to grow as an NFL coach and he ends up being the Dolphins HC for years to come.

I am not as sold on Grier as the GM but Ross decided to stick with him and therefore it will be Ross who will get the credit if Grier is able to build a winning team. It will also be Ross who will be blamed if Grier ends up failing to build a winner with all the draft resources and cap money at his disposal over the next two years.

No one stated that an owner like Ross is similar to a crook like Loria. I appreciate the fact Ross wants to win and he is willing to spend the money to do whatever it takes to bring a winner to Miami.

That still doesn’t change the fact that as an owner he isn’t just judged by how much money he spends but by the product he puts on the field each week. It is the hiring of the individuals in the organization that the owner has total control over and when it makes errors in his hiring, the product suffers on the field.

Personally I think Ross is a nice guy and when it comes to his real estate business, he is a genius, IMO. My only problem with him is he has hired several duds to run the football team since he became the owner and that is the reason the Dolphins were forced to go into last season in complete rebuild mode.

I am certainly willing to give Ross the benefit of the doubt on the hiring of Flores because I think Flores did an excellent job last season getting a very untalented team to play hard each and every week. Hopefully Flores continues to grow as an NFL coach and he ends up being the Dolphins HC for years to come.

I am not as sold on Grier as the GM but Ross decided to stick with him and therefore it will be Ross who will get the credit if Grier is able to build a winning team. It will also be Ross who will be blamed if Grier ends up failing to build a winner with all the draft resources and cap money at his disposal over the next two years.
Not saying he's the best owner until he starts winning. My point is that he's nowhere near the bottom. He's not a Loria or a Dan Snyder and some people in this thread are making him out to be at that kind of level just because of on-field performance. I'm merely bringing up that there's more than that to judge an owner by.

As long as he hires the right people, then the business should have success even if the actual owner doesn’t have a clue about the business he invested his money in.

Last edited:
Like I said, something about him getting an investment GROUP together to buy a team.

I actually MAY have insider info on this :)

There's a large fund being put together with a few larger developers from Toronto, Ontario who now live in Palm Beach/Naples/etc. They have an 850 million dollar fund and one of the newest folks to join is D. Wade. (My conjecture is this opens up a flurry of investment opportunities solely because Wade ties himself to it.)

HOWEVER - I have zero clue if this is the same group. Guys like Wade would get the start treatment if he bought in at the minimum value (5mm) because his name opens doors and brings a brand.

It is very, very possible that this is a separate fund, but I know the person flying into PBI today, and he's meeting with the large investment guys in the AM, Wade included. Last I heard they were a huge real estate fund, but I mean... that simply means they like tangible items you can invest in. Football teams are one of the safety investments you can make, you have a guaranteed return, and you typically gain insane equity regardless of performance (although it obviously really really helps to be good, that gives you the best value)

Man now Im going to destroy him with questions. There's no way that this likely leads to a total buyout of the dolphins - a mega billionaire out of Palm Beach, as well as a Manhattan developer who retired with a net worth hovering near the B mark.. to Jupiter Island in the 90s. Both inquired about purchasing the dolphins. The number that came back, at that time, was over 3.78 billion, a large chunk driven by the commitments that the stadium has received since renovation.

So even if this WAS the group - they don't even have a 25% stake in their entire fund.

Dwayne Wade and Rick Ross could put together every penny they have - and I almost assure you D Wade has well over 95mm - and not even cover the RENOVATION COSTS that Stephen Ross paid for OUT OF POCKET.

It seems to me the owner is responsible for Upper Management and Upper Management is responsible for the teams performance. As long as the owner works at maintaining and improving upper management, he is doing his job.

During the game the coaches are actually the least impactful part of the team on the field. In the end the players have to perform well to win. The coaches can teach the players but they can't learn for the players. I don't want to touch the area of players who are divas and rely on social media, as opposed to direct performance, to justify their lack of responsibility. Didn't we have some players a few years ago who spent training time to develop their "celebration" displays. I think you can see what I'm getting at.

The priority for performance is as follows:

#1 The players. They are the ones on the field in directly control the of the football. They are in direct control of the game!

#2 The coaches. They are the ones responsible for training the players and directing the game. They have in-direct control of the game.

#3 Upper management. They are the ones directly responsible for selecting the players and coaches and in-directly in control of the team in general, just not game day performance.

#4 The owners. They are directly responsible for selecting upper management and in-directly responsible for upper managements performance, not the teams performance.

In practice there is usually some limited amount of bleed over, or shared responsibilities, between all these groups, but in the end, it's the men in the trenches who fight the wars, not the generals.

An other thought about dealing with players that think they are divas.

Once we draft a player we should keep them for the entire rookie contract. If they act up, use them as backups. If they don't like it they can quit, but we still hold their contract and they can't play for another NFL team. If the player breaks his contract, that is their personal decision, but we don't have to pay a guy who doesn't show up and take the part he is assigned.

The NFL, not the parent team, enforces the rules and should not let any player act as a free agent until his original contract has timed out.

He did the renovations, and correct me if I am wrong, mainly because the NFL said they would not hold another Super Bowl there until there was a significant upgrade to the facility.... well he did exactly that.
He also paid for it himself. So a plus for that too.

Without reading through all of the comments on this post, if Ross doesn't want to sell it doesn't matter who wants to buy.

who knows how long Ive been around, brah
Well "brah" either you're a newbie here for two weeks or a formerly banned nuisance who's playing games with their ISP. Considering how much leeway the staff gives before that final hammer, I sure hope you're the former and not the latter.

I have more respect for Ross, than the garbage man....In my heart,Joe Robbie still owns the dolphins..these other guys are just renting..

Here we go again.
As a business man Ross has succeeded by increasing the brand "Miami Dolphins" to a value of roughly 2 Billion dollars. He also succeeded in making Hard Rock Stadium a brand name and financially successful stadium. I may not agree with everything he has done with the stadium but he was successful.

When it comes to football operations unless you want an owner like Jones who is also GM (which does not work at all) an owner always relies on others. He relies on the GMs and HCs and he also relies on people's advice when he searches for GMs. Very often owners go the most common route of "associates" like Ross did with Tannenbaum. Thankfully he did not hold onto the guy and realized "I have to go a different route".
Wayne H was also a briliant businessman but failed to make the right decision in 2005 when he had two opposing opinions/advisors. He not only guided the Dolphins to some of their most succesful non-Super Bowl period but also guaranteed that the Dolphins remained in South Florida after Robbie's departure.

I do have issues with Ross but they are not football related and do not belong in a football forum.

Unless you want to play GM and have 2 Billion dollars laying around it is a irrelevant topic.

Back
Top Bottom