Stephen Ross | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stephen Ross

I think it took him awhile and he made some mistakes along the way, but I think he's finally figured out the right structure and the right people to lead the franchise.

If there was someone above Ross evaluating his job performance he would have been fired years ago. As an owner tasked with putting a winning product on the field he’s failed miserably. Virtually all of his football hires have been bad calls and he’s taken too long to fire multiple guys, which sets the franchise back even more. He’s been majority owner for 11 years now, we have 1 winning season in that time. Will likely be 1 out of 12 after next season.

just now reading PFNet byline (1/30): says Brady to Miami in one of 2 ways: as player or minority owner.

article says Gisele favors Miami overall & Brady is heavily expected to grab a share of the franchise (makes sense with Bruce Beal poised to take over for Ross at any moment)...

Last edited:
Extremely few people who buy NFL franchises are “football guys.” Ross has done wonders upgrading their stadium and game day experience, put his money where his mouth is and has stayed out of the way. While I disagreed at the time regarding hiring Tannebaum and promoting Grier, they are people that Ross knows well and trusts their football knowledge.

I like the fact that Ross is willing to try new things when the old way wasn’t working out. He’s been patient and willing to trust his football people. While he gets the ultimate blame when when the team isn’t successful, he’s definitely an above average owner imo

above average? lol hell no.

just now reading PFNet byline (1/30): says Brady to Miami in one of 2 ways: as player or minority owner.

article says Giselle favors Miami overall & Brady is heavily expected to grab a share of the franchise (makes sense with Bruce Beal poised to take over for Ross at any moment)...
You're probably right that Bruce Beal (Ross's business partner and current Vice Chairman of the Miami Dolphins) is far more likely the future owner of the Dolphins than Dwayne Wade and rapper, Rick Ross, as speculated by the OP.
BTW - There was also speculation in the tabloids this week, that Giselle has left Tom Brady - she's had enough of his selfish lifestyle, Massachusetts, the whole Patriot Way and his constant farting from his strict TB12 diet. She's packed her bags and gone. (Article said she prefers to live in New York or LA). Don't know if it's true, but that's the rumor in the tabloids. So maybe both Tom and Giselle are now free agents.

Last edited:
I was so hoping this was breaking news that he had sold the team to a non-clown shoe wearing owner.

he has won less than 7.5 games since he took over. Doesn't the buck stop at the owner?

Sure, if he could tackle, catch and throw the ball and had a hand in the draft.

Now you can say his issues are who he hires. But he opens his wallet and gets the hell out of the way.

Let's hope he has learned from past failures and has hired the right people this time.

Last edited:
I don't know enough about him to judge him personally, but while some of his actions have been questionable I've seen enough positive or well-meaning moves to be grateful that we have him rather than the likes of Jones, Snyder, Kraft, etc.

Last edited:
Hey be glad we dont have Dan Snyder. What happened to Wayne Huzienga?

I thought Fergie, and some other actresses owned minority in Miami?

Fans don't know when to appreciate what they have, People gave Wayne Huzienga all kinds of crap after he bought the team.. Then when we get Steven Ross its what the hell happened to Huizenga.. lmao

In all honesty Miami has nothing to complain about with Steven Ross, Guy spends alot of money himself on the stadium, the Football players, and doesn't get to involved playing Armchair G.M.

I still don't understand how Miami was stupid enough to build the Marlins that stadium when they have seen what that team does and deny Ross money to renovate Hard Rock.

I've always liked Ross bc he will spend any money managements asks of him, and he stays clear of forcing any football decisions. That is really all you can ask of an owner. He has made some poor hires and decisions with regards to hierarchy, but his intentions were correct most of the time.

Ross is a great owner because he spends money— sure, some of it is because he couldn’t feed at the public trough, but when forced he’ll spend the money. Like giving a defensive lineman a franchise QB contract. That one sure paid dividends.

And he doesn’t interfere in football decisions. Except, you know, the most important ones— like who to run the team. Inconsequential decisions like that.

Huizenga failed as an owner. But at least his decisions were in the ballpark of decent. JJ failed here, but he’s a Hall of Famer. Saban failed here, but he may be the best college coach of all time. Parcells and his disciples failed here, but he’s another Hall of Famer. Meanwhile Ross has hired (and been forced to fire) such luminaries as Philbin and the boy genius in New York. And who can forget the brilliant move to bring Sparano back for 2011 after the way he ended 2010— I guess losing 3 straight to end the season wasn’t enough; he needed the opportunity to lose 7 to start the season too.

But they’ll be playing the Super Bowl in Miami— not that the Dolphins will be in contention for it. One playoff butt-kicking and no division championships under Ross’ sterling leadership has seen to that.

And do you think it is wise to have a non-football guy own this team?

I absolutely do, especially one like Ross who knows he's not a football guy, vs say Jerra or Snyder. Give me Ross anyday over those guys. Dwayne Wade? Is he a football guy?

Ross' heart is in the right place. He upgraded the stadium, is building a state of the art training facility, pays for free agents, etc. His problem is when it comes to the football side of hiring, he does it half way. One year, the coach is fired, but the general manager stays. The next, the general manager is fired, but the coach is kept on. This is no way to run the football side of things. Constantly trying to fit a general manager with a coach he doesn't mesh with and vice versa just doesn't work.

IMO, when Gase was fired, Grier should have been fired as well. The guy has been here over 15 years and I wouldn't exactly say their draft history has been stupendous. He should have hired a well-respected Team President who could have cleaned house and brought in his own general manager and head coach.

Back
Top Bottom