Stephen Ross | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stephen Ross

I dont rate Ross. Team wise? Delivered nothing. Zero. Nada. He likes the NFL though. Especially Superbowls.

Ross is a great owner because he spends money— sure, some of it is because he couldn’t feed at the public trough, but when forced he’ll spend the money. Like giving a defensive lineman a franchise QB contract. That one sure paid dividends.

And he doesn’t interfere in football decisions. Except, you know, the most important ones— like who to run the team. Inconsequential decisions like that.

Huizenga failed as an owner. But at least his decisions were in the ballpark of decent. JJ failed here, but he’s a Hall of Famer. Saban failed here, but he may be the best college coach of all time. Parcells and his disciples failed here, but he’s another Hall of Famer. Meanwhile Ross has hired (and been forced to fire) such luminaries as Philbin and the boy genius in New York. And who can forget the brilliant move to bring Sparano back for 2011 after the way he ended 2010— I guess losing 3 straight to end the season wasn’t enough; he needed the opportunity to lose 7 to start the season too.

But they’ll be playing the Super Bowl in Miami— not that the Dolphins will be in contention for it. One playoff butt-kicking and no division championships under Ross’ sterling leadership has seen to that.

Don’t forget letting Mike Tannenbaum convince him to run the team

Let’s just say he was a novice at being a football owner when he bought the team. from Wayne during the Great Financil Crisis For $1B I thought Ross got fleeced. Ross had a learning curve to get up. His hirers have not been good on the football side of the business. One business side he has done much better. At the initial franchise reset I thought he made another mistake not firing Grier and completely clean house. When Grier hired Flo I was not impressed either.

I am a Dolphins lifer. We have awesome seats in section 143. As a season ticket holder, the 1st two games were very ugly. I thought we were going to be the 76 Bucs style expansion team. All I kept hoping was we got better as the season wore on. It happened . I am so hopeful that what I saw in Flo was guy who is a leader of men. we also got the best QB plat since Pennington. Guys played for him. I am glad we won games screw draft position. That is loser talk. We have what appears to be a Coach Building a winning culture.

Grier found him Ross hired him. So we are all hopeful that 3rd time is the charm for Mr Ross. I certainly approve of what he done for the City with our stadium. If he‘s right on Grier, giving him keys to the franchise , and collectively they bring us back to National prominence again. He will rise to a great owner.
Grier must find Flo some player. His staff has to need to Coach them up and Flo needs to lead them. Mr Ross will have willed us to 1st in class. As Dolphins this what we hope for. It been 46 years since won the last one. I was eleven. KC is back for the 1st time back in 48 years. We are due fellow Dolphins Nation.

Here we go again.
As a business man Ross has succeeded by increasing the brand "Miami Dolphins" to a value of roughly 2 Billion dollars. He also succeeded in making Hard Rock Stadium a brand name and financially successful stadium. I may not agree with everything he has done with the stadium but he was successful.

When it comes to football operations unless you want an owner like Jones who is also GM (which does not work at all) an owner always relies on others. He relies on the GMs and HCs and he also relies on people's advice when he searches for GMs. Very often owners go the most common route of "associates" like Ross did with Tannenbaum. Thankfully he did not hold onto the guy and realized "I have to go a different route".
Wayne H was also a briliant businessman but failed to make the right decision in 2005 when he had two opposing opinions/advisors. He not only guided the Dolphins to some of their most succesful non-Super Bowl period but also guaranteed that the Dolphins remained in South Florida after Robbie's departure.

I do have issues with Ross but they are not football related and do not belong in a football forum.

Unless you want to play GM and have 2 Billion dollars laying around it is a irrelevant topic.

Exactly. The NFL said no more bowl bids til the stadium is up to par. Despite the City's non-committal to improvement Ross still made the venue much much better.

Say what you will about his football knowledge, the man knows how to improve and run a business.

There's only 32 NFL owner positions out there.

To expect someone to be good at the first time they become an owner is frankly, stupid.

The guy wants to win, is willing to spend money and is willing to admit a mistake.

Even if he's constantly struck out with getting the right people to build a team, he's been constantly going after people who even most of the league agree should be good choices (at first).

He's also been renovating Joe Robbie into as good a modern stadium as it can be short of building a new one billion plus dollar stadium with a retractable roof and open concourses.

This Ross diatribe is little more than a futile circlejerk provoked by someone who rolled into FH less than 2 weeks ago!!

The reality is that as an owner Ross is better than some and worse than others. But all the pissing and moaning in the world amounts to nothing more than an exercise in futility as they mean nothing to effect an ownership change. And when one does finally come there is already a succession plan in place - so there's that too,
Someone who "get's it".
32 teams, One (1) ring! Are there 31 bad franchises? I think not. There are not 32 great Qb's or 32 Great coaches to select from. In many way's it's like building a business. You have to carefully fit the pieces together to make it all work. Most of the time luck, timing, and skill are not on your side. Does that mean you are unsuccessful? Only the ledger can say that because there's only 1 ring...

Fans don't know when to appreciate what they have, People gave Wayne Huzienga all kinds of crap after he bought the team.. Then when we get Steven Ross its what the hell happened to Huizenga.. lmao

In all honesty Miami has nothing to complain about with Steven Ross, Guy spends alot of money himself on the stadium, the Football players, and doesn't get to involved playing Armchair G.M.

I still don't understand how Miami was stupid enough to build the Marlins that stadium when they have seen what that team does and deny Ross money to renovate Hard Rock.
Many had harsh word for Joe Robbie too...

I keep reading all that he has done is with the stadium. Do you know what Ross has done for so many businesses in Miami bringing back the SB here, what it means for all of South Florida?

A lot of you fans don't live here and you don't care about that. Well, go take a long walk off a short pier. I live here and it's a big deal, huge.

Do I wish his hires were better? Of course. It pisses me off too. What do you want? All of these guys have long resumes in the NFL. You're going to tell me any of you know better which coach, staff is going to work out, especially when you have fielded a gazillion QBs?

Huzeinga went and got a couple of gods of coaching- Johnson, Saban- and how many championships did that win us?

A lot LOVED the Gase hire when it was announced. AND I seem to remember an effort/helicopter to go get hell of a head coach.

We could do a lot worse than Ross. Go ahead, you captains of NFL industries out there in Finheaven land, how do you know how a new owner is going to turn out and what is his name?

Last edited:
He doesn't interfere and doesn't mind spending money on players and has made Hard Rock Super Bowl ready. Why wouldn't you like that kind of owner? You don't remember frugal Joe Robbie Days. I know ... showing my age. He had the right idea of Tanking for Tua but his coach wouldn't listen......

I keep reading all that he has done is with the stadium. Do you know what Ross has done for so many businesses in Miami bringing back the SB here, what it means for all of South Florida?

A lot of you fans don't live here and you don't care about that. Well, go take a long walk off a short pier. I live here and it's a big deal, huge.

Do I wish his hires were better? Of course. It pisses me off too. What do you want? All of these guys have long resumes in the NFL. You're going to tell me any of you know better which coach, staff is going to work out, especially when you have fielded a gazillion QBs?

Huzeinga went and got a couple of gods of coaching- Johnson, Saban- and how many championships did that win us?

A lot LOVED the Gase hire when it was announced. AND I seem to remember an effort/helicopter to go get hell of a head coach.

We could do a lot worse than Ross. Go ahead, you captains of NFL industries out there in Finheaven land, how do you know how a new owner is going to turn out and what is his name?

Epic. Great post, I agree with all of the above. I live close to CincinnatI. What if we had Mike Brown? I feel for those fans.

Last edited:
When ross find right coach and qb he will be find. Until than we will be up and down team.

at this point you can't be learning. I am curious why he didn't question why we were winning games when we had no business to

Perhaps because he has a shred of morality considering what you're referring to (Losing on purpose) is completely against the rules of the NFL...

He and Grier ABSOLUTELY did everything they could to get us the #1 pick this year. Tunsil...Minkah, James, That roster shake up right after preseason and before the first game cutting half of what was left? Not their fault Flores turned this team into something else by the end of the season.

The team that lost to Baltimore 154567-3 in week one was the team Grier gave us. And a job well done honestly with the picks we got back. The team that ended the year beating the Patriots in a huge game was what Flores transformed them into.

I got no problems with Ross he’s not cheap doesn’t seem to micromanage. The celebrity owner thing and landshark buffet was stupid. He green lighted a scorched earth rebuild which is what we all wanted.

Back
Top Bottom