Still a Bad Team? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Still a Bad Team?

Looks like we are progressing....not good enough to beat better teams ( we are a tough out though), but able to beat the lower echelon teams. Our defense is still worrisome.

We're a work in progress. I don't expect to win our next 17 games (though it would be nice!), but I do expect that I won't see any more 59-0 defeats. We're not a complete team, but we're have more pieces today than we did a year ago at this time. It was never about winning THIS YEAR. It's about getting the pieces in place around Tua so that when his number is called (barring injury), he won't get knocked around like David Carr or David Klingler. I fully expect next year to finish at .500 or better and hopefully, legitimately challenge for a wild card spot.

And if it was so easy to rebuild an entire team and win the Super Bowl every single year, then why hasn't anyone else done it? Why is it that the nay-sayers here are the only ones who know how to build a team right, and every one else league-wide is stupid? How is it that they alone have unlocked the secret of success and the rest of us mere mortals have got things so tragically wrong?

I like how the offensive is progressing. That was a real impressive offensive game against a capable defense. The play of the offensive line is encouraging.

The defense was better against Jacksonville, but the Jaguars missed on a few plays that could have made this a close game.

It's too easy to run on Miami and that complicates everything. With a lead, the pass rush showed up a bit. Otherwise, it's still nonexistent.

Have to like that the Dolphins have been in every game.

My eye test told me that we were better on Offense, Defense and most importantly the coaching and schemes were improved.

It was no way a complete game we had a lot of mistakes and we have a lot of work to do.

We NEED to get much better at TACKLING!!! Fundamentals Fundamentals Fundamentals!!!

One thing is that on paper the Bills should be much better than us but even though we played an awful scheme on D, we should have left that game with a W. One Preston Williams drop away! We are definitely better than we were this time last year. We will know exactly how far we have come one week from Sunday when Seattle comes to town!

This is such a Young team. The youngest by far in the entire NFL if you put aside Fitzmagic. It is so unfair to label our team with no preseason, new OC, new DC, lots of new coaches, almost all new OL, lots of new faces in the defense. If we consider Is almost impossible to win at New England for any team and we almost beat Buffalo (we had them with few minutes left), I think we don't know how good we can be by years end. Patience and Trust for now. But I really like what I'm seeing from lots of young players.

This was definitely a positive step on the road to rebuilding the team. The first game we have scored touchdowns on our first three possessions since 2011. Fitz was hot, but we could not do that without a consistent performance from the offensive line. It had been 38 games since we beat a team by more than 10 points. That does not happen without complementary football.

This team has not become a legitimate winning football team, but it is a step down the path to becoming a good team.

Teams have done it before, including us

Without digging deeper than I care to spend the time to do, with only 1 or possibly 2 exceptions, none of the teams in those examples had any sort of sustained success.

That's what I'm looking for. Not some miracle one season and done wonder, that regresses back to mediocre for the next several years.

While it is exciting to catch lightning in a bottle, sustained success is much more difficult to obtain, and build upon.

The fact that that Dolphin team is on the list indicates just exactly how meaningless it is.

Don't get me wrong, i found it an interesting article, worth posting. Just noting everything is not always as it appears on the surface.

Last edited:
I don't think the game last night changes much. The Seattle game will be telling for sure. I see a few players that have done well in the 3 games but as far as doing great in all 3 games, I don't see one player that has done that. There has been ups and downs(more downs than ups) but that's to be expected with a young team. 3 games is really not enough to tell, specially since there were no pre season games.

The other problem Miami has historically had is inconsistency. They beat a bad team easily or win a close game against a good team, but look terrible the next two games. Part of that, IMO, was coaching (FistPump and Queasy). Part of it seemed to be mindset (learning how to win). I agree, the SEA game will tell a lot, particularly on the D side.

The Seahawks have scored 30+ points in each of the first 2 games against Falcons (not a great D) and Patriots (pretty good D) ... so they are likely to score 30+points on us

Can we keep up on the score board?
Can we hold them under 25 points?

I would say no to both of those questions .... but IF our defense can hold them to 18-20 points we can win this one

I will wait until the hawks finish with Dallas this weekend to see where we might stand (injuries, suspensions etc.) but we have some things in our favor....

Travel for the hawks
Maybe temp and humidity
time zone
offensive line showing real growth
pass rush showing improvement
running game starting to find holes

3 weeks into this offense and it is becoming less vanilla ... more creative

Russell Wilson should be the difference maker and we should lose .... when Tua comes in we will have a difference maker on offense ... until then we will, at least, be competitive ... and that puts our team light years ahead of week 3 last season IMO

It isn't about bad or good.

We're a young team with an ancient, weak armed, gutty quarterback.

We are learning as we go, and we have a very long way to go.

All the pieces of this rebuild are not in place yet.

Whooping some a$$ occasionally (like last night) is certainly enjoyable, but we're building to be "good" sometime next year and moving forward.
I would also add that Fitz is very intelligent and extremely wise (experienced and quite able to apply that experience effectively). In other words, he can make chicken salad with chicken **** consistently. Without those attributes, he'd most likely get sacked, injured and/or be a turnover machine much more often than he is. This also makes him an outstanding mentor for our young stud, Tua.

It's laughable to me that no matter who we play this is how it pans out...

before the game:
OMG that team has been blah blah blah and in the first 2 games they blah blah blah ... we are going to get burned and buried for sure... fire Grier

game ends and the score was close but we lose ...
Damn ... bonehead plays... grant can't catch a damn cold ... good fitz bad fitz ... fire Grier....

game ends and we won...
we just beat a bad team ... just wait til we actually play somebody ...fire Grier

:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

I think this team is coming together and regardless of who we play they SHOULD be on notice.....

The Dolphins have been "trending" upward since game 10 last season.... have some faith

It's laughable to me that no matter who we play this is how it pans out...

before the game:
OMG that team has been blah blah blah and in the first 2 games they blah blah blah ... we are going to get burned and buried for sure... fire Grier

game ends and the score was close but we lose ...
Damn ... bonehead plays... grant can't catch a damn cold ... good fitz bad fitz ... fire Grier....

game ends and we won...
we just beat a bad team ... just wait til we actually play somebody ...fire Grier

:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

I think this team is coming together and regardless of who we play they SHOULD be on notice.....

The Dolphins have been "trending" upward since game 10 last season.... have some faith

Don't forget the complaints about Gailey's second half playcalling Thursday night. The Dolphins should have won by 50, and he's a failure because they didn't.

Back
Top Bottom