Still Go WR in Round 1 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Still Go WR in Round 1

DannyNoonan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I know Boston will fill the need for WR #2, but we could still use a solid #3 WR. Many are happy with the reported incentive clauses in Boston's re-worked contract in order to protect us if Boston implodes. I am glad that we are hedging our bets, but it does underscore the inherent risk of having Boston. Minnis is also a risk with his injury history and durability issues. Both could be solid additions. However, if both risky situations fail to come through, then we are in serious trouble. (Please do not say you are willing to hang the season on Tolver or Simmons.) This draft is deep at WR...and we should play to the strength of the draft. We can pick up a great WR prospect at #20 who could be a dangerous #3 WR and protect us in case of injury or head-case-itis.

Address OL and Defense in the other rounds.

In the first round? uhhhhhhhhhhh NO!

Boston and Chambers are both 25. Its a wasted pick, with Williams, McMichael, Boston, Chambers, and Konrad, do we really need another option?

We need an OLB, DT, or S.

Go for a receiver in the mid-rounds. I love Bernard Berrian. Chambers & Boston(huge) are big/fast receivers. It would be nice to have a receiver like Berrian who can run deep slants or even line up on the outside, putting Boston or Chambers in the middle. Berrian is also a great return man. Very good option for a #3 receiver/returner in the 3rd or 4th round.

Originally posted by DannyNoonan
I know Boston will fill the need for WR #2, but we could still use a solid #3 WR. Many are happy with the reported incentive clauses in Boston's re-worked contract in order to protect us if Boston implodes. I am glad that we are hedging our bets, but it does underscore the inherent risk of having Boston. Minnis is also a risk with his injury history and durability issues. Both could be solid additions. However, if both risky situations fail to come through, then we are in serious trouble. (Please do not say you are willing to hang the season on Tolver or Simmons.) This draft is deep at WR...and we should play to the strength of the draft. We can pick up a great WR prospect at #20 who could be a dangerous #3 WR and protect us in case of injury or head-case-itis.

Address OL and Defense in the other rounds.

You know, if there isn't an exceptional prospect at another position, even defense, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly. Boston would be a huge addition to the offense. What would be even bigger would be adding a young, talented WR in the draft. Finally, Miami's WR corps could be downright deadly again. Add that to Ricky Williams, and a great defense, and the Dolphins could be exceptionally tough to beat.

Of course, this is all on paper.

They've addressed the OL. I'm satisfied with what they're doing in free agency there.

However, there is still a big question mark at QB. Fiedler, at best, is a good, serviceable QB that has had trouble getting the ball downfield. Is Feeley any better? Well, unfortunately, we have to wait until preseason to find out for sure. He's looked very good in the past. All you can do is hope for the best. Any way you add it up, as of right now, the Phins just don't have that proven guy under center yet.

Getting back to the draft, the Phins could go WR. They could come full circle, and grab a young QB. They could pick a young offensive lineman. They could also trade down and pick up an additional first day pick. They could stay put, and pick the best player at #20, regardless of position.

As soon as the Phins add David Boston, I'd be very happy with any of those situations. Boston is definitely the wild card right now. However, if for some strange reason the Boston trade falls through, they better stay put and grab a WR in the first, or I fear it'll be more of the same on offense next season.

We could still pick up a quality WR in round 3 if we really wanted to. Right now, we MUST pick an OL in round 1. We still have two holes to fill on the O-line.

If they pull off the trade for Boston, I believe they should take the best player availabe in the first round, regardless of what position he plays.

Back
Top Bottom