Still some work to do | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Still some work to do

Fin4life

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I don't think the Fins roster is a finished product yet and I think there are three areas they need to consider before the start of camp.

1-Right guard- My prediction is that the Fins opening day RG is not currently on the roster. I think teams like Oakland and Tampa that have a glut of lineman will release someone (Mo Collins?) and the Fins will snatch him up. I just can't imagine they'd go into the season with St. Clair, Whitley or Jerman starting.

2-No. 3 WR-I don't have a lot of faith in Derrius Thompson and I'm still not sure about Tolver. There will be some veterans hit the market, Conway, Frank Sanders, and one of them may be brought in. I like the idea of Northcutt, but the asking price may be too high and I'm not a fan of giving up another draft pick next year when we already are without a second and sixth.

3-Backup LB-While Pope and Bua may be aggressive young players, if any of our starters go down, I'm not real confident in our reserves. Eddie Moore has shown no signs of being ready to play in the NFL, both mentally and physically, and Corey Jenkins and Ayanbedejo are unproven. I think a veteran is needed here.

Rick and Dave have done a great job in the past with post-draft pickups (Knight, Jamie Nails, Jay Williams) and I think they'll make something happen again.

Don't sleep on Greg Jerman, the guy played at least average in his one start last year against Washington. I've re-watched this game and also Dallas, @NE, and Philly, and McKinney and Jerman were at least comparable to Ruddy and Perry if not better. I believe that with all the young interior linemen we have now (McKinney, Jerman, Pape, Whitley, Yates, St Claire) one will emerge as an above average starter. Competition makes everyone better, and we have competition all over the field this upcoming year.

While re-watching those games I also saw some pretty outstanding catches by Derrius Thompson. I feel this guy just isn't a #2 receiver at this moment and that showed last year. He will be much better this year with another year in our system and sliding back down to the slot position. Also I am expecting JR Tolver to maybe be a second year contributor this year.

I do agree about LB, we should get a solid veteran backup. Other than that I am very satisfied with the way this team is shaping up.

I know people will jump all over me but I think that Tony Pape has a good chance to start for us at some point this year and if he does, he'd start at RT and then Carey would play RG. I know we took Carey in round 1 but so what?What matters is to get the best 5 guys out there and if Pape is one of them then he should start. Now why would I start Pape ar RT and not at RG? Cos I don't want a 6'7 guard blocking the trowing lanes for our QB. I think if we go on talent alone, our best 5 guys will be Smith,James,Seth,Pape and Carey. Now with Wanny he doesn't like to play rookies the way JJ did so I doubt that Pape starts on opening day but I think he'll start at some point and Carey could move to guard. Only time will tell if I'm right or if I'm crazy...lol

Ozzy rules!!

Most people who are considered genius today,were once considered crazy.Dolfanreal69

Danny, I agree with you.

Personally I don't think anything at all or St Clair and McIntosh will be cut at some point.

Whitley should've played last year, I mean he must've been bad not to be able to play RG.

I think Pape and Carey will be the right side of our line for a long time. I think they are interchangable, but I would keep Vernon at T. He is really going to be good IMO. I see all-rookie team this year, then ProBowl within five year

Danny said:
I know people will jump all over me but I think that Tony Pape has a good chance to start for us at some point this year and if he does, he'd start at RT and then Carey would play RG. I know we took Carey in round 1 but so what?What matters is to get the best 5 guys out there and if Pape is one of them then he should start. Now why would I start Pape ar RT and not at RG? Cos I don't want a 6'7 guard blocking the trowing lanes for our QB. I think if we go on talent alone, our best 5 guys will be Smith,James,Seth,Pape and Carey. Now with Wanny he doesn't like to play rookies the way JJ did so I doubt that Pape starts on opening day but I think he'll start at some point and Carey could move to guard. Only time will tell if I'm right or if I'm crazy...lol

Ozzy rules!!
I am right there with you Danny... Pape is really under rated and he does not do anything 'sexy' out on the football field. He just does his job quietly and does a good job. He did this at a school that faced good competition and is known for putting out good olineman. When everything is said and done with this draft (like 5 years down the road) I think people will think of Pape as the steal of the draft.

finsnchips said:
Danny, I agree with you.

Personally I don't think anything at all or St Clair and McIntosh will be cut at some point.

Whitley should've played last year, I mean he must've been bad not to be able to play RG.

I think Pape and Carey will be the right side of our line for a long time. I think they are interchangable, but I would keep Vernon at T. He is really going to be good IMO. I see all-rookie team this year, then ProBowl within five year

You're right Whitley was terrible last year, Yates was much better, but because Whitley was a 3rd rd pick he made the team..while everyone thinks whitley will be better this year, Yates will be better too and he played in games last year, something whitley didn't do and couldn't based on his poor showing.

I think when alkl is said and done, Snoop Minnis will overtake Derrius Thompson for the 3rd WR spot.

Back
Top Bottom