Stock Up - Stock Down | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stock Up - Stock Down

Ridder showed off some ability to change his arm slot in order to deal with pressure. Pretty good stuff.

Stock Up:

Krys Barnes / LB / UCLA – Gets better everytime I see him. Doesn’t miss tackles. Broke up quick slants in coverage matched up against Cincy WR’s. Forced incompletions by Ridder when he tried to extend plays outside the pocket by rallying to the flat and swarming with dynamic speed. Also had a big fumble return for a TD but officials ruled the RB was down. Best player on the field in Nippert Stadium last night. Underrated.

Dayan Ghonwoloku / CB / BYU – Has flipped back and forth from CB to safety and back to CB this year. To me he looks best at CB, but is such a good one-on-one tackler coaches could use him as safety last year. Played a heck of a game last night. Demonstrated those one-on-one tackling skills against one of the best Senior RB’s in the country Zack Moss. Was also a beast on special teams. His story is incredible – coming over from war torn Liberia as a 5 year old refugee with literally nothing but the clothes on his back. Coaches will love him and NFL locker rooms will be lucky to add a kid like this to their team.

Mike Elko / DC / Texas A&M – Texas A&M couldn’t even spell defense under Kevin Sumlin. Was a little better under John Chavis, but hiring Mike Elko from Notre Dame is going to pay off for the Aggies. It was only Texas St. – but only giving up 8 yards rushing is good no matter who it’s against. This was the least amount of rushing yards aTm has given up since 2004. Also had 4 interceptions last night – the most in a game for aTm since 2006. They’re tackling better, covering better, deconstructing blocks better, and players are where they’re supposed to be. I might put Clemson on upset alert next week – but at least the game is at Clemson.

Aaron Brewer / OT / Texas St. – One of the most versatile offensive lineman in the country. Has played Center, Left Tackle, Right Guard, and Right Tackle – yet still graded out as the best run blocker in the Sun Belt last year, and 2nd best pass blocker. Incredible track and field athlete that played a good game last night making his first start at RT for the Bobcats against Texas A&M.

Stock Down:

Chip Kelly / HC / UCLA – The Bruins still look awful in Kelly’s 2nd season. They look the same as they did before he got there. Maybe even a little worse. He still hasn’t taught the young quarterback how to hang on to the football and stop giving it to the other team. They continue to beat themselves. I said it at the time, but Florida dodged a bullet when they chose Mullen over this guy.

Trevor Lawrence / QB / Clemson – It’s only fair. Where’s the overreaction? Where are all the critics who trash quarterbacks like Tua for having 2 INT games against the likes of Clemson and Georgia? That was lowly Georgia Tech with a new head coach and a completely new system he kept throwing the ball to last night. Missing throws all over the place.

Alabama and Clemson appear to be on a collision course for part 5, and Clemson may win again. But I can promise everyone this – Sunshine won’t just stand there under no pressure with DB’s falling on the ground like he did in the championship game. Clemson may beat Alabama again, but they’re going to pressure Trevor Lawrence. Hit him. He’ll have so many 5-stars swarming his a$$ he’ll swear Bama is sending guys off the sidelines after him. We're going to try to find out how good he really is. If he's able to withstand what's coming, he'll have earned it this time.

We're off to a scintillating start. Great opening weekend of college football still ahead.

I think that's fair on Trevor Lawrence. I don't know what the bleep happened in the game. One reason I don't think there's much of a reaction is because we're still so far from him even being a draft conversation. But the way Tua gets skewered for performances against defenses that are twice as good, while injured, I mean...

And speaking of Kevin Sumlin's fall from grace, Chip Kelly...jeez...

Yep, it's just because he's not draft eligible yet - and he can skate a while on the game he had against Alabama. But I just don't think he's that accurate of a passer. I just don't think he is yet. I don't subscribe to the best ever already hype. I'm not sure I subscribe to the best in the country hype. I think he has all the tools, but I think he has some issues also.

If anything, the kid I wish we had is the Etienne kid. I don't think we have a guy even close to him in our backfield. Apparently Etienne attended team functions and was ready to play last night, instead of starting the first game on the bench for disciplinary like all our overhyped RB's.

You get much of a look at Collin Hill? I bring him up because I think he's in the mold of a Trevor Lawrence. I'm not saying they're the same, but as far as archetypes go they're similar.

Colorado State played Utah State last year in a blustery, snowy game. You know how much I like Jordan Love, and I know you like him the same. But Collin Hill out-dueled him in that weather, interceptions and all. Should have won, but Preston Williams stepped out of bounds and ended up with the illegal touching call on that miracle game-winning walk-off TD.

He's got a nice draw against Colorado tonight at 10pm EST.

Just a cursory view from watching other players, nothing I really wanted to break down in detail yet in regards to him. I'm familiar with him from high school though. I try to keep my process as consistent as I can. I'll see him tonight or at some point this weekend though.

In fairness Trevor was getting a lot of flak on radio and tv today for having a lackluster game against a bad team

In fairness Trevor was getting a lot of flak on radio and tv today for having a lackluster game against a bad team

Like I always say, the media love to build you up just so they can tear you down. I posted several months ago all the people crowning Trevor Lawrence would be beating him up as soon as he went out and passed for 140 yards and threw 2 picks against Wake Forest or some sh^t. I know how this works.

Bottom line is, the hype for Trevor was no worse than the hype for Tua after the national championship game against Georgia. Both were overhyped to an extent, but both are really good young quarterbacks - and the two best in college football. It doesn't change based on one game for either of 'em.

I've watched 'em all the way from Dan Fouts to Tua and Trevor. I haven't seen one yet that doesn't have bad games.

Trevor sure stared down his targets last night. I’d like to see more eye discipline and better placement on the throws at the los etc extended to the perimeter of the field. Left some rac on the field cause he kept throwing those belly button level.

Athlete wise I think he might be every bit as good a one as Justin Herbert.

A question for the gurus. Wisconsin playing tonight. Any players there I should look for as far as the 2020 draft? They always seems to have one or two good O-line. Anyway, just wanted to see who I should look for.

for folks who have had Jordan Love #2 on the list behind Tua, he's looking good thus far.

A question for the gurus. Wisconsin playing tonight. Any players there I should look for as far as the 2020 draft? They always seems to have one or two good O-line. Anyway, just wanted to see who I should look for.
Biadasz..center.

If anything, the kid I wish we had is the Etienne kid. I don't think we have a guy even close to him in our backfield. Apparently Etienne attended team functions and was ready to play last night, instead of starting the first game on the bench for disciplinary like all our overhyped RB's.

I was actually coming to this thread to mention Etienne...he looked great.

Etienne looks small to me.

The kid I found most interesting was the kid Simmons I guess his name is #11. But that’s an odd frame for an off ball lb so I just wonder where he fits positionally at the next level. Serious range serious athlete and listed at 6 foot 4 230. But what is he in the pros. Athlete wise looks like a top 20 pick

I was also reminded of how little defense is played by so many teams in college.

Getting a reminder of that too tonight. Guys are running untouched into the second level all over the place

Seeing a more compact delivery witb the love kid tonight than last year. Ball placement is really good. But sometimes i don’t think there’s enough juice on the ball. I don’t guess it’s any less arm than Haskins had at Ohio state. I don’t know seems like the balls in the air at times longer than I’d expect. Maybe it’s cause no one on wake has the kinda redirect foot in the ground and drive on the ball tools that the pros and sec has plenty of.

Lots of just pitch and catch.

Last edited:
Speaking of RBs...Taylor has looked good, but I always have this thing about Wisconsin RBs...it seems like so much of their success comes from playing behind the best run blocking line in the country.

Back
Top Bottom