Stock Up - Stock Down | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stock Up - Stock Down

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
Thought I’d dedicate a thread to how I view the stock of players and coaches as I work through the 2019 season of college football.

Should generate some quality discussions as the season progresses.

Stock Up:

Nick Buchanan / C / Florida - This kid looks really good when I go back over the game and hit a few key spots.

Trajan Bandy / CB / Miami - One of the more underrated CB’s in the country. Threw his body around and played a heck of a game last night.

Romeo Finley / S / Miami - Most underrated playmaker on Miami’s defense that few people know about. Had a pick last night.

Deejay Dallas / RB / Miami - Demonstrates excellent contact balance and speed in the open field. Natural catcher of the football out of the backfield.

Jon Greenard / LB-DE / Florida - Welcome back to health and to college football. Hadn’t played since the season opener last year when Louisville lost to Alabama. Was an absolute nightmare for the young freshman OT for Miami. This is good to see.

Khalil Tate / QB / Arizona - Kid is an absolute freak show. Just needs some strong coaching. Rare combination of arm talent and athletic ability. He’s really won me over. I think he’s a better version of Lamar Jackson. Could earn a 1st round grade from me.

Jace Whittaker / CB / Arizona - Another welcome back to health and welcome back to college football. Only played in 1 game last year, had 2 INT’s last night of Cole McDonald.

Cedric Byrd / WR / Hawaii - Had a monster game vs Arizona. 14 catches, 224 yards, 4 TD’s. Although he didn’t get to really matchup with Jace Whittaker. Diminutive ideal slot receiver type is really a dynamic player.

Stock Down:

Kevin Sumlin / Head Coach / Arizona - Looked like a Sumlin coached team. These games resemble a glorified 7 on 7. You can’t lose to a middle of the pack MWC team....that turns the football over 6 times.

Cole McDonald / QB / Hawaii - Got benched in the 4th quarter for throwing the ball to the other team too many times. Has some ability but must learn how to make better decisions and manage a football game.

Dan Enos / OC / Miami - Didn’t do a very good job of protecting some of young players making their first collegiate starts. Ball security, penalties, substitution infractions, and an 8 yard third quarter output are all things he’ll have to get fixed. Saban didn’t feel him or Josh Gattis were ready to take on the OC job at Alabama.

Tackling - Tackling in football has largely gone the way of the dodo. At all levels. NFL included. I see it on Friday nights, Saturdays & Sundays. The best teams are the ones that tackle.

Hope everyone enjoys this thread throughout the season.

Bandy looks extremely improved, and he was already good.

Dude that size was not shying away from contact in run support at all and was glue in coverage. Was really impressed with him last night.

I love it.

Cedric Byrd was incredible in that game.

Cole McDonald has the unique ability to get on both the stock up and stock down lists, switching between them every other snap.

One way or another I’m developing a pretty clear picture of the most arm talent in college football, with the emphasis being on velocity, especially easy velocity.

The guys with the elite gas are Justin Herbert, Jordan Love, Khalil Tate, Collin Hill, and Jacob Eason.

Eason is the only one I’m tossing in there based on reputation, as I haven’t seen him hit the field in years!

The others are and have been up there for me purely based on tape eval.

The newest member of that group of course is Collin Hill. The other ones I’ve had pegged for their elite arms for a while. Credit to Rhett Lewis for sharing via Daniel Jeremiah’s podcast that Collin Hill was a guy that showed up at Manning Passing Academy and had everyone’s tongues wagging like who the heck is this kid, where did he come from.

You don’t need to be in this elite gas category to be a great NFL prospect, at all. Nor does being here guarantee you anything, ask Nick Fitzgerald. But it does help to have this sort of tool kit from an arm talent standpoint.

I find it’s just good to identify who they are.

I love it.

Cedric Byrd was incredible in that game.

Cole McDonald has the unique ability to get on both the stock up and stock down lists, switching between them every other snap.

Agreed.

I also might put Samford on both lists. I took in the Youngstown St. vs Samford game and although Samford lost - I was so impressed with the way they competed. Played with the intensity of a champion for 60 minutes. I’m partial to a lot of those kids as I’m familiar with many of ‘em from high school all over the area here.

Hey Slimm, this thread is a fantastic idea and am so glad, you thought to do something like this. Will you be doing this on a weekly basis? As for Khalil Tate, you answered before I could even ask!!! Great job and again great thread.

Agreed.

I also might put Samford on both lists. I took in the Youngstown St. vs Samford game and although Samford lost - I was so impressed with the way they competed. Played with the intensity of a champion for 60 minutes. I’m partial to a lot of those kids as I’m familiar with many of ‘em from high school all over the area here.

Any thoughts on that USF transfer QB that Samford threw in their late in the game?(@ckparrothead may have some insight here also with him being a USF transfer). I think his name is Chris Oladokun.

I caught the game in the third quarter and he looked rather poised but of course hard to gauge with them being down that many later in the game.

Any thoughts on that USF transfer QB that Samford threw in their late in the game?(@ckparrothead may have some insight here also with him being a USF transfer). I think his name is Chris Oladokun.

I caught the game in the third quarter and he looked rather poised but of course hard to gauge with them being down that many later in the game.

Yeah they put him in to start the 4th quarter and he threw a big TD pass on his second throw. He looked good. Probably going to be in consideration for the starting job at some point.

The Welch kid that started the game just turned the ball over too much which allowed the game to get out of hand. He’s a Junior but was starting his first game since high school. He’s been in the program but was stuck behind Devlin Hodges, who I talked about some last year in my Senior QB thread as a kid I watched in high school here for Mortimer-Jordan. I believe he’s with the Steelers now.

Tate needs some strong coaching and to work hard on his footwork and mechanics. He's throwing passes sometimes with both feet off the ground. The raw material is there to work with, but he can't play QB in the NFL right now with those mechanics. I think 2 years in the NFL with the right coach and you could have something.

He's still skiddish and panicky in the pocket, and he's so athletic and fast that he can just extend plays to give himself another 8 seconds against bad defenses. Rather than throw with anticipation or on time. He still has a lot to learn about reading defenses and going through progressions. Poise in the pocket is still lacking. Just a long ways to go before he's ready to start an NFL game, but the tools are fantastic. Lots of coaches would enjoy trying to mold that.

I thought he showed market growth against Hawaii versus even just one year ago. Especially from the pocket.

There's no doubt his pocket proficiency still has a long way to go. That's true of most guys coming out nowadays. But before it wasn't even part of his game. Now, he's clearly on the learning curve and I think that's an important development.

Someone is going to buy him because if you can continue to mold him that way, and just allow him to continue his momentum in terms of progress, then he'll always be able to supplement that with the ability to put you back in the game with just one drive, or even just one play.

They went down 10 points midway through the 4th quarter after he made his first really bad decision of the night and Chevan Cordeiro was able to capitalize with a touchdown, and all it took was one play for Khalil Tate to completely flip field position on the following drive. And a hell of a play it was, scrambling right, throwing back left 54 yards through the air. It had the look of one of those plays where, if the QB can scramble like that and then throw a pass back against his body that deep and at that acute an angle off the scramble, that much against the grain, I just don't know how you defend that. Even if they didn't progress any further on that drive, it got them the field goal that set up the final drive.

And then the final drive, 51 seconds to go 84 yards with no timeouts, and he gets 83 of them...yikes.

Thought I’d dedicate a thread to how I view the stock of players and coaches as I work through the 2019 season of college football.

Should generate some quality discussions as the season progresses.

Stock Up:

Nick Buchanan / C / Florida - This kid looks really good when I go back over the game and hit a few key spots.

Trajan Bandy / CB / Miami - One of the more underrated CB’s in the country. Threw his body around and played a heck of a game last night.

Romeo Finley / S / Miami - Most underrated playmaker on Miami’s defense that few people know about. Had a pick last night.

Deejay Dallas / RB / Miami - Demonstrates excellent contact balance and speed in the open field. Natural catcher of the football out of the backfield.

Jon Greenard / LB-DE / Florida - Welcome back to health and to college football. Hadn’t played since the season opener last year when Louisville lost to Alabama. Was an absolute nightmare for the young freshman OT for Miami. This is good to see.

Khalil Tate / QB / Arizona - Kid is an absolute freak show. Just needs some strong coaching. Rare combination of arm talent and athletic ability. He’s really won me over. I think he’s a better version of Lamar Jackson. Could earn a 1st round grade from me.

Jace Whittaker / CB / Arizona - Another welcome back to health and welcome back to college football. Only played in 1 game last year, had 2 INT’s last night of Cole McDonald.

Cedric Byrd / WR / Hawaii - Had a monster game vs Arizona. 14 catches, 224 yards, 4 TD’s. Although he didn’t get to really matchup with Jace Whittaker. Diminutive ideal slot receiver type is really a dynamic player.

Stock Down:

Kevin Sumlin / Head Coach / Arizona - Looked like a Sumlin coached team. These games resemble a glorified 7 on 7. You can’t lose to a middle of the pack MWC team....that turns the football over 6 times.

Cole McDonald / QB / Hawaii - Got benched in the 4th quarter for throwing the ball to the other team too many times. Has some ability but must learn how to make better decisions and manage a football game.

Dan Enos / OC / Miami - Didn’t do a very good job of protecting some of young players making their first collegiate starts. Ball security, penalties, substitution infractions, and an 8 yard third quarter output are all things he’ll have to get fixed. Saban didn’t feel him or Josh Gattis were ready to take on the OC job at Alabama.

Tackling - Tackling in football has largely gone the way of the dodo. At all levels. NFL included. I see it on Friday nights, Saturdays & Sundays. The best teams are the ones that tackle.

Hope everyone enjoys this thread throughout the season.
Great thread idea bro and thanks for all you share about the players.

Man has Kevin Sumlin's stock fallen drastically. I like Nick Rolovich, great young coach who gets Hawaii and will bring them back to a solid program but Arizona should not be losing to them.

Also agreed on Enos of course I think Hurricane Nation hyped him up way too much and I think they will hate him by the end of the year. Granted Florida has a tough defense but I saw a young offense hung out to dry by stubborn and outdated coaching... and I know what that looks like having seen an Al Borges ran offense

Desmond Ridder had a nice game against UCLA. This is one of two games Cincinnati will play against Power Five teams, with the big one next week against Ohio State. Ridder had the one bad mistake with a pick on the goal line. But otherwise he was seeing the field and delivering, using the middle, hurting with his legs, and was sterling on 3rd down.

He reminds me a lot of Andrew Luck. I’ve said that before.

Back
Top Bottom