Stop listening to Media | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stop listening to Media

I think the position has evolved from the days of three yards and a cloud of dust offenses. You could have any corn fed tall guy with half a brain be your quarterback. He's got to really have the ability to read defenses and athletic ability beyond the Griese types that were good enough (it was Earl actually) to get you to a super bowl back in the day. Teams see a guy who has all the intangibles and it is very rare and they will fight over him. Or maybe even throw a few games for him.

Moronic thought process. And the NFL, not the media, has dictated RBs don’t matter. Sorry to burst your bubble. But it’s true.

Just so I understand, are you saying the NFL "has dictated RBs don't matter'" based on their recent draft positions?

Just so I understand, are you saying the NFL "has dictated RBs don't matter'" based on their recent draft positions?

And contracts. Yes. Don’t matter is a overstatement. But the value isn’t there and the NFL knows this. Has nothing to do with the media. Last top RB drafted, Elliot, just proved the theory right once again.

Don't matter?

No, we are not saying that.

What we are saying is that RBs matter less... and that you can get very similar production from players taken later in the draft, thus costing you less draft resources and smaller salaries.

Drafting a RB in the first round is like signing Ryan Fitzpatrick to a 30M/year contract.

He might be a fun player to watch, but that would be an overpayment.

And contracts. Yes. Don’t matter is a overstatement. But the value isn’t there and the NFL knows this. Has nothing to do with the media. Last top RB drafted, Elliot, just proved the theory right once again.

Then we agree. By extension, thier value to winning is seen as 'less valuable' that other positions. Not saying all RBs are equal, but reality has given them their relative ranking.

RBs are the guitar players.

Every time you want to start a band, there are lots of good guitar players to choose from.

Bass, gets a bit more tricky.

Drums, even more tricky than that.

The QB is the singer.

Everybody thinks they can sing, but until you find a great singer (hopefully hot and female), your band ceiling is fairly low.

Don't matter?

No, we are not saying that.

What we are saying is that RBs matter less... and that you can get very similar production from players taken later in the draft, thus costing you less draft resources and smaller salaries.

Drafting a RB in the first round is like signing Ryan Fitzpatrick to a 30M/year contract.

He might be a fun player to watch, but that would be an overpayment.

I may need to "coin" a new term for our most "hyperbolic" fans. Something not overly complex, but better suited to their "cave man" mentality.

How about "cliff dwellers" They clearly live high, in a low oxygen atmosphere and are always on the edge. - LOL

Its more to due with the fact that most media members think the QB covers all when its never been the case.

The most talented qb in the NFL got embarrassed in the SB.
Mahomes did not get embarrassed in the SB. He played phenomenal. His decimated OL was a different story. His receivers dropping TDs also didn’t help.

Besides this is a red herring. KC is not a poorly run team. Mahomes was not a top 3 pick. And if memory serves me correctly the Chiefs won the SB the year before.

Mahomes did not get embarrassed in the SB. He played phenomenal. His decimated OL was a different story. His receivers dropping TDs also didn’t help.

Besides this is a red herring. KC is not a poorly run team. Mahomes was not a top 3 pick. And if memory serves me correctly the Chiefs won the SB the year before.
Sign me up for that embarrassment!!!

encouraging people who don't know **** to make their own opinions is what gets us into trouble around here!
Maybe brother, but it's is that very independent thought and individual analysis that leads us to informative opinions and varying viewpoints of real understanding and insight.

Yeah. I keep hearing KC was without it's starting OTs. Hard to square that with 'elite' QBs can 'carry their team.'

As far as the media - they fall into 2 categories - bloggers and those who write for well known organizations. Neither are right very often. They tend to do what FH does . . . a few facts spiced up with our prejudices, and cooked in a pot of speculation. I'll read the occasional article but take it as opinion, while acknowledging they do have a few facts sprinkled in.

Human nature is we like to find 'a guy' who will transform the team, whether it's QB, RB, WR, . . . doesn't matter. Doesn't work too well with teams that have been bad for a while, can work well for, say, top 15 teams, and noticeably well for top 5 teams. The media, being human, tend to focus on one guy
Offensive lines matter. Brady hasn't been very good when facing constant pressure. Every QB suffers under pressure, even an elite off-schedule guy like Pat Mahomes. When you don't give him enough time to let Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce get a bit deeper into the pattern, that offense can be contained. When you keep one of Mahomes' eyes on the rush and his platform off-balance, he cannot be quite as dependable.

The entire reason the West Coast offense was formed (by Bill Walsh as an Assistant Coach in Cincinnati) was because Paul Brown told him Ken Anderson had lost the ability to throw the deep pass and he tasked Walsh with re-inventing an offense where there were only short passes. Walsh then began doing that and realizing the principles that underpin every offense in today's NFL, such as mobility mattering for OL, using the short pass as a run replacement focusing on YAC, route combos, mismatch across levels of the defense (too fast for LB's and too big for CB's), QB's who can be mobile to avoid the pass rush, and how much can be accomplished if the QB gets the ball out of his hand in 3 seconds and the OL only has to block for 2.7 seconds.

So it was a KC offense built on a strong OL (multiple Pro Bowlers) and a fantastic off-script QB can actually run routes that are deeper generating huge chunk yards and more scores against defenses hyper-tuned to stop the short pass. But the Buccaneers had a defense that destroyed that OL when it wasn't at full strength, and Mahomes was instantly under pressure and simply couldn't buy enough time to run those deeper routes. The story of that Super Bowl was one team had a great defensive line that dominated the line of scrimmage and the other team didn't.

You are correct @fansinceGWilson , OL definitely matters. Which is why someone like Joe Burrow who had a great rookie season should be given so much praise, because their OL was awful. And, why our OL's improvement to average is such a positive sign.

Back
Top Bottom