Strange Idea | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Strange Idea

xiidaen

FinHeaven.com Evangelist
Reaction score
Yes, it's from PFT. Yes, I know many people see PFT as a horrible rag with no redeeming qualities. I still read it. I can't help myself.

TEAMS TO TAKE A PASS IN ROUND ONE?
Earlier this week, reader Dave Golub of Round Lake Beach, Illinois raised an intriguing possibility with us.
What if, Dave said, the 49ers choose to let their 15 minutes on the clock expire on draft day -- and they then wait to pick their guy until after several other teams have selected players?
Really, in a draft where there are plenty of teams who'd like to trade down and none who (at this point) want to trade up, we could envision several teams being tempted to slide down a spot or two, especially if they know that the team or two behind them won't be taking the guy that they want.
The benefit of such a move is that the team can get the guy they want at a lower slot, arguably enabling them to sign him for less money.
But a league source tells us that, even though the Vikings got away with passing on its No. 7 pick in 2003 and allowing two other guys to be taken before drafting defensive tackle Kevin Williams at No. 9, the NFL likely would not tolerate teams intentionally sliding back on the board.
In Minnesota's case, there was enough evidence of inadvertence to keep the team out of trouble. They'd apparently been trying to trade the spot to Jacksonville (who had the No. 8 pick) or Baltimore (who had the No. 10 spot), both of whom were hoping to nail down quarterback Byron Leftwich.
Word is that the topic has been discussed by the Competition Committee, and that there's an unwritten expectation that teams won't intentionally let others pick in front of them, in order to preserve the overall integrity of the process.
Also, as to the question of whether anyone wants to trade up, we've heard multiple times that the teams interested in making a move won't start making calls until next week. So even though there's no present indication that anyone wants to get into, for example, the top five, that all could change within the next several days.

I think teams will trade up, and down, but without a rule specifically against it, one wonders if this could be a viable tactic...once, anyway. (As I"m sure a written rule would quickly follow).

I didn't know about the rules in place to maintain the integrity of the draft process, but I did breach the subject of the 49ers possibly waiting out the clock and waiting for the Dolphins to pick before turning in their card for Alex Smith...but I raised the issue in a private message with Jaj.

So...all you have to do is look like an indecisive moron to get away with this? How did Wannstedt not come up with that years ago?

I would never pass on a pick when I'm in a position to get the player I want. In my opinion, if there is a player that Miami wants and can't trade down to get him, go ahead and take him anyway. The top 10 in this draft is close enough to where none of them are incredible reaches.

I mean, if that 2nd pick rolls around and Nick Saban feels that a guy like Shawne Merriman is the best thing since sliced bread, just go ahead and take him.

I would never pass on a pick when I'm in a position to get the player I want. In my opinion, if there is a player that Miami wants and can't trade down to get him, go ahead and take him anyway. The top 10 in this draft is close enough to where none of them are incredible reaches.

I mean, if that 2nd pick rolls around and Nick Saban feels that a guy like Shawne Merriman is the best thing since sliced bread, just go ahead and take him.

But in the salary cap era, the difference in pay could be a big difference. If it weren't for the NFL's integrity rules, I would fully explore taking advantage of the "duuuhhhh" approach.

Back
Top Bottom