Sturgis has missed 4.5% of his XPs and 12% of his FGs under 30 yards | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sturgis has missed 4.5% of his XPs and 12% of his FGs under 30 yards

FSU's kicker Dustin Hopkins 2.4% and 0%. I am a UF almu and this move really disappoints me.

Three of his kicks were blocked last year, so he only missed one in reality. Yet another example of how stats are bull****.

Lots of pressure on the rookie now. I will be nervous when its a big spot for Sturgis. To be fair Carp had me nervous starting last year. I just like the vet in the kicking role. However, it was obvious they wanted Sturgis to win the battle and he earn the position based on his play. See how he does in the regular season.

Can people who ask for sources use one of the many search engines available to look up his college stats

We got the kicker we wanted.

This was a really natural choice. Not that drafting Sturgis over some other kicker from college was a trivially easy choice, but that Carpenter was going to be replaced with a drafted kicker. I like Carpenter and think he's a good kicker, but when he missed some critical field goals last year it made the decision easy to make. For the value the Dolphins got last year, they can get nearly that same value at a fraction of the cost from a rookie. So what if he misses the game winning field goal? For one, he'll be doing it for much less, but, two, high stakes situations can be answered with touchdowns in addition to field goals. I don't think this team got worse by letting Carpenter go, and I believe this offense is better tooled to score in general as well as in high stakes situations (ie. home runs can happen from any part of the field whereas field goals can't).

Because its the kicker Miami deserves...but not the one it needs right now?

Back
Top Bottom