Sturgis - Yea or Nay? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sturgis - Yea or Nay?

VaPhinatic

Active Roster
Reaction score
Great win last night. Sturgis did make the kick to send it to overtime but....

He did not look comfortable last night. Do we need to bring in veteran kickers for a tryout this week? Would that further erode Sturgis' confidence? Do we care?

Great win last night. Sturgis did make the kick to send it to overtime but....

He did not look comfortable last night. Do we need to bring in veteran kickers for a tryout this week? Would that further erode Sturgis' confidence? Do we care?

He will be fine....went through a rough patch and came back strong when it mattered in this game...

id bring a kicker in for competition.

i know he hit the game tying fg, but he has not looked good at all since the ravens game.

Leave him be. Character building tying FG is all he needed.

Until he costs us a game or two the way Carpenter did right? This is a concern that you can't just wash away with the brush of your hand. I hope like hell he just hit a rough patch and is working his way through it but he makes that chip shot FG he missed, he ends it in the 4th qtr instead of sending it to OT.

If I am the coaching staff I am not to far from the phone of another kicker if this continues.

He has been in a funk, but making his final two kicks last night with the last one being a final seconds kick to send it to overtime is a confidence builder.

Apparently it's been building since Brandon Fields got up and left the canteen table when Sturgis came over.

Game was exactly what he needed.

Clutch kick will help his confidence big time.

prove it to me league. right now, i'm not a fan. sure, he got the tying fg. should have been a game winning fg, if he didn't miss a 30 something chip shot.

Last year, we fired carpenter for the same sturgis has done.
Man did he looked stressed out last night!
I am definitely glad sturgis seems to have come back and got out of his funk.
I say give him a chance and let's see how he handles the rest of the season.

He does worry me a bit, though...

Here's some stats on this season

Carp is 12th in FG % Made with 89% (16 of 18)
Sturgis is 30th in FG % Made with 72% (13 of 18)

I'm not sure the avg on making a 40+ or a 50+ yd FG, but what worries me with sturgis is he missed two 30+ FGs.

Keep it together man!

kickers with skills IMO are little different than golfers who go through slumps - it's mental and once it gets in their heads, it requires a bunch of positive reinforcement to again have confidence and positive expectations. That all or nothing kick hopefully helps bolster Sturgis's confidence cuz we all know he's sure got the technical skillset and power leg. I'd watch him closely for the next game or two. We can't carry 2 kickers and I guarantee you that if we tried to stash him on the PS, he'd be gobbled up faster than you can say "Goodell has an agenda."

He will be fine, so i say YEA...........:up:

Until he costs us a game or two the way Carpenter did right? This is a concern that you can't just wash away with the brush of your hand. I hope like hell he just hit a rough patch and is working his way through it but he makes that chip shot FG he missed, he ends it in the 4th qtr instead of sending it to OT.

If I am the coaching staff I am not to far from the phone of another kicker if this continues.

i dont want to say he was the reason we lost last week, but if he had hit that chip shot vs the pats, we r up 20-3, and the pats do not take over with the good field position, and they do not gain back there confidence.

again, not saying he was the main reason we lost, but he started the downward trend last week. also, maybe i am getting confused which game it was, but didnt he kick the ball out of bounds on the kickoff vs Baltimore late in the game that led to the gw fg? maybe i am getting mixed up when he kicked the ball out of bounds, but he deff did, i believe it was the drive that led to the ravens gw fg.

also lets not forget, we overcame it, but missing that chipshot fg lastnight could have easily cost us. fortunately we came back and won, but we cant forget a missed 34 yd on top of everything that has happened the past few weeks because we won.

i am not saying lets take away his job yet, but bring someone in to not let him feel complacent.

Sturgis is now 13 for 18 on field-goal attempts through his first eight games, with all five of his misses coming over the last four games.

5 Misses are huge for a team like MIA who struggle for points...
Start scanning the wire before the next game. I dont have enough finger nails left to watch him nudge it down there.

Back
Top Bottom