Suh has always been the cancer on this team

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by timmash44, Mar 12, 2018.

1. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

That does not make him a cancer..... Just a bad contract.

Digital, Ray R and fishfanmiami like this.
  2. DolfinJohnNY

DolfinJohnNY Well-Known Member

Excuse me! I'd be willing to bet I've been a fan of this team longer than you have been alive. Thats TOTAL BS phins. Where do you come up with that crap? This team/organization has raked us ALL over the coals with this rudderless ship. Wash, rinse, repeat. That just wasn't fair regarding people who have LOVED this team virtually their entire lives. Not right.

3. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

nah

Ray R likes this.
  4. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

whatever you say man... there is no proof this is true. he had a horrible contract

Ray R likes this.
  5. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Suh is a great player, a willing mentor, a gentleman, and a classy ambassador for the team. If you want to accuse anyone of being a cancer, it's Mike ****ing Tannenbaum who's deserving of that label.

6. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Is that you in your avatar?

Ray R and SCLSU Mud Dogs like this.
  7. SmokyFin

SmokyFin Starter

I have no idea what Suh was like as a teammate but it was widely reported that he was never a vocal leader in the locker room. And I think when you're one of the best in the game at your position and you're making the kind of money he was then he owed it to the team to try and take that role. He should have never been signed for the kind of money he was given.

He was a great DT and did a solid job in Miami but the fact is he WASN'T a game changer. Was there any game where anyone can say he won that game for us? He never had many sacks or pressures and he was routinely double-teamed and taken out of games almost completely.

If I understand correctly this will free up $17 million this season but cost $12 million in dead money this year and next. So I'm sure the thinking is to use that $17 million towards 2 or 3 other players at positions other than DT that might impact the outcome of games more. The other option was to give Suh all of that money for two more seasons and accept the fact that he still wouldn't likely be a game changer.

Ray R likes this.
  8. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Maybe not a cancer, but weren't there rumors Suh would 'improvise - same as Landry

9. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

That’s not what a cancer is. A locker room cancer is a toxic personality who is causing discord among other players through that toxic personality. No such thing has been reported about Suh. It was an incredibly stupid contract that paid him way more than a DT should ever be paid, but he wasn’t a cancer.

Austin Tatious likes this.
  10. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Why was he signed to begin with, then? Nothing changed in the evaluation of him while he was here, and you can't blame this on Hickey or Ireland et al.

11. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

Because Tannenbaum is an idiot. The signing was stupid, but staying in that awful contract is what is called throwing good money after bad.

12. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Stats I've seen indicate Suh did his job against the run. Part of the problem was the Lbs behind him

Ray R and ForksPhin like this.
  13. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

A cancer?

OP's post is fraudulent, imo.

Miami better hope Suh doesn't go to the Bills.

RedWhiteNBlue likes this.
  14. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He was over paid but he was no cancer. He worked hard and played hard

Ozzy rules!!

RedWhiteNBlue, Digital and Ray R like this.
  15. Jimi

Jimi The World Is Yours

Interestingly enough I agree with just about all of your post other than the title... Which isn't even mentioned in the actual post.

Dolfan11 likes this.
  16. Dolfan11

Dolfan11 Perennial All Pro

Suh is or was not a problem IMHO. TanneBUM is the problem handing out sh*t contracts.

RedWhiteNBlue and superphin like this.
  17. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I have taken the liberty to improve your post. Here is the new and improved version with edits being shown and definitions for some of the big words being included:

Some people will defend literally anything this (stupid s/b ambitious) organization does. They could (take a dump on s/b revamp) your lawn and you'd say 'oh that's okay ( adding for clarity s/b just what we needed), my lawn needed to be (fertilized' s/b re-established). It's ( ****ing pathetic s/b needed this for a long time, and now it is happening!)

Ambitious = having a desire to achieve a particular goal; such as being a competitive football team and getting to the playoffs!

Revamp = to make over; such as upgrading performance by removing impediments to growth (such as players who aren't executing the play that was called) and bringing in younger players for less money and with more of a team oriented attitude, in order to improve those positions that need either better players or players with a different kind of skillset!

Re-establish = to re-make or re-stabilize; such as re-making a team roster by reducing excessive player salaries; introducing younger and eager to learn quality players, while keeping those better players who haven’t priced themselves off the team, and trading away or cutting those who have priced themselves out of the teams salary range based on their position and/or performance!

No need to thank me.

I realized that this is just what many of the posters have been screaming about for the last two years; you just had a few phrases inverted.

18. Finland

Finland Pro Bowler

I have to wonder. Suh must know he is taking a sizeable pay cut, so why didn't he want to do a pay cut for Miami?

fin415 and Ray R like this.
  19. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

Hey, he is a PROFESSIONAL football player. It's his job. I never heard of him being a disruptive force in the locker room. Not all players are outgoing and alpha males. Some are introverted, and Suh is one of those. In fact, the main reason he is such a beast on the football field is precisely because that was always his one outlet for all of his frustration/aggression. It's a healthy way/place to channel it. I wish Suh the best. He played something like 85% of our defensive snaps, by far the most of the entire OL, and he never took a snap off, he played, was double teamed, didn't complain, created 1v1 chances for Godchaux etc. constantly. It's not his fault they couldn't win their 1v1's. IMHO, he earned his pay.

The problem was that we negotiated too high a salary, one no other team was willing to negotiate. He came precisely because we overpaid him. And frankly, if my job showed up in Miami and offered to overpay me, I'd accept too. When he gives you everything that could be reasonably expected, he earned his pay. It's our front office's fault for miscalculating his worth.

I wish Ndamakong Suh the best. He will always be welcome in Miami from my perspective. Now, if he goes all "Welker" and starts trashing us constantly, that will change my opinion ... but based on what he gave us here, I count him as one of us.

Ray R and fin415 like this.
  20. RedWhiteNBlue

RedWhiteNBlue Well-Known Member

No, that is not what a cancer in the locker is. Has zero to do with dollars. Had anyone else made a tackle or beat their numerous one on ones this D would have won more games. The man draws far more double teams than anyone in the league and still ranked as the 2nd best DT stat wise since he signed here.

Stoobz likes this.
  21. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Suh was durable and productive, despite constant double-teams. I haven't heard or read anywhere that he was a cancer in any way. Did hear he's not necessarily a leader, but that's entirely different.

Miami has lost a lot of physical players recently with Ajayi, Landry and now Suh leaving. Maybe not the end of the world NFL-wise, but does make you wonder what direction this team is going. Is there a plan?

22. PSU Cane

PSU Cane Starter

Cutler? Thomas? 2 guys Gase personally brought in here after coaching them in the past are bad locker room guys? I can't believe that one bit.....Gase only gets rid of bad culture guys. He doesn't sign them. You must be wrong sir.

Yessir likes this.
  23. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

Cap casualty. Plain and simple. Can’t be over here he cap for a 6-10 team. Gase is beginning his rebuild now, or retooling. Gase believes that he has talent that’s young and needs to get the cap under control to keep his core. Don’t forget Suh was a philbin signing.

24. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

From the article on the home page of NFL.com:

"The big DT tallied 15.5 sacks and 181 combined tackles in his time in Miami, despite eating up double teams constantly. Since 2010, he ranks second among NFL DTs in sacks (51.5), first in QB hits (147), second in total pressures (381.5) and first in tackles for loss (103)."

I have no idea what Tannenclown and Gase are doing.

25. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

You really think his salary gets cut that much?

3/54 with only timed guarantees.

He can at least get 3/45 with half of that fully guaranteed on the open market.

Ray R likes this.
  26. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

No.

While I admire your bravado for doubling down on your stance, this is simply not accurate. He was not a cancer, and his job was not to single-handedly make a run D the best in the league. His job was to be a menace on the line, occupy multiple blockers, and give LB the opportunity to do their jobs better. He did that quite well. The run defense was not porous because of any shortcoming Suh had; the shortcomings were on an awful LB corps.

If anything, your narrative aligns with what Armando is suggesting; they're retooling their team so that there is not one and only one "key" to making a team perform. His suggestion is that they're getting rid of Suh because they don't want to have to say "We are relying on Player X to make this unit the best run defense in the league." Rather, they want the narrative to be, "we have the best run D in the league because we have and can afford players X, Y and Z, who all fit perfectly within our scheme, and if one of them isn't doing their job, we have players A and B waiting behind them."

Do I like they WAY they did this? No. And I think that doing this now is drastic and unnecessary. But the FO obviously has a better grasp on what's going on with the team's chemistry than I do. Suh didn't do anything but his job. If you want to make the argument that he wasn't a team leader in the locker room, fine. The Dolphins knew what they were getting when they signed him, and trying to make the connection that Suh was a cancer because the Fins D wasn't #1 in the league against the run is just silly.

fin415 and Ray R like this.
  27. The Goat

Because he's going to get paid an absolutely ridiculous pile of money by Miami even though he's not going to play for them. Why not stack more money on top of that?

Ray R likes this.
  28. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

He already got paid that money. Miami owes him nothing else

Ray R likes this.
  29. The Goat

Explain. Are the Fins *not* paying Suh 9 million dollars next year, due to his restructuring? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I thought they still owed him money, no matter what.

30. Kdawg954

The money was already given to Suh, but has not reflected the cap, so the cap needs to reflect that money even though actual funds won’t be changing hands . . . Because they already have changed hands.

Think of it as a 401k. You can borrow from it (Signing Bonuses and restructure Suh) and spend it (Cutler, Kiko, Branch, Thomas, Timmons) but if you lose your job (or Cut Suh) those funds you borrowed become immediately due (dead cap).

31. The Goat

Got it. Thanks.

But my point is this - there was no sense in him taking a pay cut on the Miami contract and pushing any money down the road. He can immediately play for another team and get more money, while keeping the Miami money.

Ray R likes this.
  32. Finland

Finland Pro Bowler

Good Answer

Ray R likes this.