Suh has always been the cancer on this team | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Suh has always been the cancer on this team

Suh was durable and productive, despite constant double-teams. I haven't heard or read anywhere that he was a cancer in any way. Did hear he's not necessarily a leader, but that's entirely different.

Miami has lost a lot of physical players recently with Ajayi, Landry and now Suh leaving. Maybe not the end of the world NFL-wise, but does make you wonder what direction this team is going. Is there a plan?

Suh freelances a bit too much...... and that's about it. Jay Cutler is team cancer, Julius Thomas is team cancer, Suh is not.

Cutler? Thomas? 2 guys Gase personally brought in here after coaching them in the past are bad locker room guys? I can't believe that one bit.....Gase only gets rid of bad culture guys. He doesn't sign them. You must be wrong sir.

Cap casualty. Plain and simple. Can’t be over here he cap for a 6-10 team. Gase is beginning his rebuild now, or retooling. Gase believes that he has talent that’s young and needs to get the cap under control to keep his core. Don’t forget Suh was a philbin signing.

From the article on the home page of NFL.com:

"The big DT tallied 15.5 sacks and 181 combined tackles in his time in Miami, despite eating up double teams constantly. Since 2010, he ranks second among NFL DTs in sacks (51.5), first in QB hits (147), second in total pressures (381.5) and first in tackles for loss (103)."

I have no idea what Tannenclown and Gase are doing.

I have to wonder. Suh must know he is taking a sizeable pay cut, so why didn't he want to do a pay cut for Miami?

You really think his salary gets cut that much?

3/54 with only timed guarantees.

He can at least get 3/45 with half of that fully guaranteed on the open market.

Thats why he was a cancer in the locker room. With Suh at DT we should have been #1 in rush defense. That's why you pay Suh that money.

No.

While I admire your bravado for doubling down on your stance, this is simply not accurate. He was not a cancer, and his job was not to single-handedly make a run D the best in the league. His job was to be a menace on the line, occupy multiple blockers, and give LB the opportunity to do their jobs better. He did that quite well. The run defense was not porous because of any shortcoming Suh had; the shortcomings were on an awful LB corps.

If anything, your narrative aligns with what Armando is suggesting; they're retooling their team so that there is not one and only one "key" to making a team perform. His suggestion is that they're getting rid of Suh because they don't want to have to say "We are relying on Player X to make this unit the best run defense in the league." Rather, they want the narrative to be, "we have the best run D in the league because we have and can afford players X, Y and Z, who all fit perfectly within our scheme, and if one of them isn't doing their job, we have players A and B waiting behind them."

Do I like they WAY they did this? No. And I think that doing this now is drastic and unnecessary. But the FO obviously has a better grasp on what's going on with the team's chemistry than I do. Suh didn't do anything but his job. If you want to make the argument that he wasn't a team leader in the locker room, fine. The Dolphins knew what they were getting when they signed him, and trying to make the connection that Suh was a cancer because the Fins D wasn't #1 in the league against the run is just silly.

I have to wonder. Suh must know he is taking a sizeable pay cut, so why didn't he want to do a pay cut for Miami?

Because he's going to get paid an absolutely ridiculous pile of money by Miami even though he's not going to play for them. Why not stack more money on top of that?

Because he's going to get paid an absolutely ridiculous pile of money by Miami even though he's not going to play for them. Why not stack more money on top of that?

He already got paid that money. Miami owes him nothing else

He already got paid that money. Miami owes him nothing else

Explain. Are the Fins *not* paying Suh 9 million dollars next year, due to his restructuring? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I thought they still owed him money, no matter what.

Explain. Are the Fins *not* paying Suh 9 million dollars next year, due to his restructuring? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I thought they still owed him money, no matter what.

The money was already given to Suh, but has not reflected the cap, so the cap needs to reflect that money even though actual funds won’t be changing hands . . . Because they already have changed hands.

Think of it as a 401k. You can borrow from it (Signing Bonuses and restructure Suh) and spend it (Cutler, Kiko, Branch, Thomas, Timmons) but if you lose your job (or Cut Suh) those funds you borrowed become immediately due (dead cap).

The money was already given to Suh, but has not reflected the cap, so the cap needs to reflect that money even though actual funds won’t be changing hands . . . Because they already have changed hands.

Think of it as a 401k. You can borrow from it (Signing Bonuses and restructure Suh) and spend it (Cutler, Kiko, Branch, Thomas, Timmons) but if you lose your job (or Cut Suh) those funds you borrowed become immediately due (dead cap).

Got it. Thanks.

But my point is this - there was no sense in him taking a pay cut on the Miami contract and pushing any money down the road. He can immediately play for another team and get more money, while keeping the Miami money.

Back
Top Bottom