Suh missing Miami Dolphins conditioning program no longer an issue | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Suh missing Miami Dolphins conditioning program no longer an issue

Are you ok with Ndamukong Suh missing the voluntary offseason conditioning program?

• Total voters

number1fin

#onephin
Club Member
Reaction score
From Armando Salguero

There was a time in the spring of 2015 when Suh missing the Dolphins’ offseason conditioning program was a topic that raised eyebrows. Back then, the defensive tackle had just signed a new $114,375,000 (yeah, that’s a lot of digits) contract, making him the newest and highest-paid player on the team.

And then the newest and highest-paid player on the team blew off the new team’s conditioning program. And that was, as I wrote at the time, bad optics.

It wasn’t terrible in that Suh would not be in shape. But it was bad in that he would not be in the locker room, that he wasn’t showing leadership and making a point and doing all that chemistry stuff some people outside the team generally don’t understand.

Then-coach Joe Philbin didn’t like that Suh didn’t show up for parts of the program but there was nothing he could do about it. The program was then as it remains today, a voluntary thing.

Fast forward two years and Adam Gase and the Dolphins are generally fine with Suh missing significant parts of the program. And that’s fine because Suh’s time with the Dolphins isn’t about optics anymore.

He’s been around two seasons and everyone knows he’s going to be one of the best conditioned players on the team. Everyone knows he’s going to play more snaps than practically any other defensive lineman. Everyone also knows Suh isn’t spending his days at a beachside Tiki bar or laying in bed eating chips.

He’s in Oregon at the Nike facility availing himself to their equipment, which is reportedly as sophisticated as it gets. He’s not in South Florida getting in shape. He’s at Nike getting in shape.

So the bottom line is Suh is going to be in shape.

And what about the leadership and chemistry stuff?

Well, these Miami Dolphins aren’t quite as starved for leaders as the 2015 team was. The leadership on this team starts at the top and filters down. Philbin, bless his heart, was lacking in the leadership department. Gase is not.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article148766714.html

Suh is better at what he does for a living than anyone else in that building. Yes, that includes Stephen Ross. I imagine Suh got some good laughs in about that.

Suh is better at what he does for a living than anyone else in that building. Yes, that includes Stephen Ross. I imagine Suh got some good laughs in about that.

:lol: erm no

It was never an issue. All the top Dolphins knew Ndamukong would be getting in top shape at Nike in Oregon every year, only the ignorant media tried to create some drama. Repeat, it was never an issue.

Not concerned at all. He always trains by himself and comes to camp in superior condition.

How do I change my poll vote? I didn't the read it all and marked "no"

I have no issues, but can you imagine how his off-season regime could affect the new rookies if he was in the building from Day one? Both Suh, Landry, Tannehill and Wake could set the right tone and work ethic. We have leaders in house.

But that doesn't tally up how many people don't care if he attend or not.
True, however, if one doesn't care if he attends or not then technically speaking you are ok with him skipping it as a no vote is pretty clear cut.

So long as his play on the field validates his decisions, it's hard to argue against the self-imposed training regimen of one of the best "pound for pound" defensive players in the league. If or when that changes, especially when he loses the inevitable step or 2, then I can see my own opinion changing. Until then, anything Suh does on his own is fine with me!

The annual "Suh is missing off-season stuff" thread.

Back
Top Bottom