Super Bowl Contender? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Super Bowl Contender?

AntMarino13

Scout Team
Reaction score
What exactly do the Dolphins need to become a superbowl contender, and have the firepower to beat a team of the Steelers' caliber. Some say running, others say defense. It obviously has to be a perfect combination, but what exactly is a perfect combination?

Great Defense (We are very good...but now especially since the offseason could hurt..we need to be better) , a good running game: Which to me means we need a good offensive line and we need good healthy guards and a really good RB wouldn't hurt ;). Next...you need a good and intelligent QB...Someone who is patient and doesn't average 2 int's per game giving the other team gasps of hope. You also need a good offensve coordinator that will call the right plays when needed. Maybe Norv will help...or maybe Schula will...but atleast Gailey is out ;) Everything else looks pretty good...We have a GREAT kicker in Mare, and we have some good wide receivers. Maybe they could use Chambers on some kickoff returns/punt returns.....That's what needs to be done in my opinion :o

Everyone wants to blame Gailey but I believe he got the most out of this OFFENSE!! What are you supposed to do with a lackluster offensive line? The LOGICAL answer is screens! That is what they did!! You have a QB that is mobile roll him out!! They did that, he just couldn't make the reads!! You have a 1000yard rusher, give him a chance!! They did! You have a playmaker wide receiver in Chambers, get him the ball!! They did, when Feidler made the right reads! I noticed Chan's dismay after the RAVENS game when he harped on Jay's misread of a WIDE OPEN McKnight in the endzone on the DOLPHINS first possession! McKnight might have dropped it!! THE POINT IS , HE CALLED WHAT HIS STRENGTHS WERE! WHICH WASN'T MUCH!!!!

ok, i agree, our O-line sucked................

Originally posted by Phinmaster1354
Everyone wants to blame Gailey but I believe he got the most out of this OFFENSE!! What are you supposed to do with a lackluster offensive line? The LOGICAL answer is screens! That is what they did!! You have a QB that is mobile roll him out!! They did that, he just couldn't make the reads!! You have a 1000yard rusher, give him a chance!! They did! You have a playmaker wide receiver in Chambers, get him the ball!! They did, when Feidler made the right reads! I noticed Chan's dismay after the RAVENS game when he harped on Jay's misread of a WIDE OPEN McKnight in the endzone on the DOLPHINS first possession! McKnight might have dropped it!! THE POINT IS , HE CALLED WHAT HIS STRENGTHS WERE! WHICH WASN'T MUCH!!!!
so why did chan run lamar up the middle so much? you would think the most natural thing to do was to get a speedy back, like minor and go outside. but no, chan had em both go up the gut!:fire:

For me it's simple...

... #1 we MUST find a FOR REAL RB, #2 sign an GOOD O coordinator, and finally get our DT situation situated.

I am confident that Fiedler is about to play at a very HIGH level. IMO what held him back from just being a GOOD QB last year was a lack of a running game after LS left his sole in NY and the 3rd grade O play calling by Gailey.

We are set at WR, OL once they are healthy they will show what they are made of. I can't say we are set at TE, but it depends what type of OC we get before we know how this will affect the Dolphins.

On the D side of the ball what I saw was a D that was completely DIF when Gardener and Bowens weren't in there together. When these 2 guys are in there they are simply a DOMINATE DUO.

Oliver...

I think we have too many obstacles to overcome with salary cap and the FA to be able to be a SB contender next year; unless we have an incredible off-season and get 2 new OL that are great and have Tim Bo and Daryl come back and get a starting QB and HB to a new a few areas... :(

Originally posted by dolphan39
I think we have too many obstacles to overcome with salary cap and the FA to be able to be a SB contender next year; unless we have an incredible off-season and get 2 new OL that are great and have Tim Bo and Daryl come back and get a starting QB and HB to a new a few areas... :(

If New England can get where they are with what thay have then I don't see why we can't do the same thing. I mean talent wise, how much better are Philly and New England than we are?
It all depends on the coaches getting the most out of what we have and that includes getting everybody properly prepared for every game. Too many times did we see the Dolphins completely unprepared to face good teams like the SLJets, The Rams, and the 49ers and even a couple of bad teams we had to struggle to get on track against, like Buffalo, Denver and Atlanta.

Originally posted by inFINSible
I mean talent wise, how much better are Philly and New England than we are?
It is not about only talent, but also about talent in the trenches. The Pats and Eagles have better people up front than we do. If we can improve our OL and get our DL back to where it was as the beginning of the year and keep it there - we've got a decent shot.

Originally posted by dolphan39
It is not about only talent, but also about talent in the trenches. The Pats and Eagles have better people up front than we do. If we can improve our OL and get our DL back to where it was as the beginning of the year and keep it there - we've got a decent shot.

This is the quote that answers antMarino's question. Everything else is icing on the cake.
With a dominant O-line, Fiedler is an All-pro, Lamar or whoever is a 1200 yard rusher. With Chambers and Minor providing the big play potential and Gadsden and Ward getting the crucial catches, this offense would operate at peak efficiency.
With a healthy defensive line clogging the middle and getting some pressure on the QB, our All- pro backer and DBs will be able to play to their potential.
The only way we are going anywhere next season is to dump all we have into the offensive and defensive lines.Period.

amen to that...

Originally posted by inFINSible
The only way we are going anywhere next season is to dump all we have into the offensive and defensive lines.Period.
:cool:

Dolfan 06,
If you can't gain a yard for a first down, how is that GAILEY'S fault? You can have a guy back there that runs a 4.0 forty but if there are no holes to run through you aren't going anywhere? He ran up the middle because that is where you run in the NFL! To be a winner you must run the ball and Gailey was just trying to establish a running game, that just didn't happen!

It's all of the above

I could go on forever about what Miami's needs are but I won't (at least not right now). They are as follows in my humble opinion in order of importance:

1) RB. Get me a 225 lb, 6'-0" 4.5/40 stud (not over the age of 30, sorry Lamar) who loves to bang it up inside and we'll really get to see what Chambers can do next year with the play action passes.

2) OL. Wade-young and good, Perry-old and good, Ruddy-old and sorta good, Dixon-old and really good (when healthy) and Smith/Spriggs/Folau-not good. We need a serious influx of both youth and talent. One draft will not fix it but it'll certainly help.

3) DT. Gardener is great but spends too much time in the trainer's room complaining about his sore back. It's not his fault his back isn't a tenth as strong as the rest of him but the fact is, we can't expect him to play a full season. Without him in there, poor Zach was getting beat up. We all know Zach's more effective without the 310 lb guards harrassing him. Draft a 340 lb immovable object who has a semblence of athletic ability and let Clarence Brooks work with him.

4) OC. Not to discount the importance of a quality coordinator but regardless of who you bring in here, it'll be an "up the gut on 1st down" guy as long as Dave Wannestadt's around and I have no problem with that.

I just want to stop talking about being a power running team and start bringing in the people who are going to facilitate this pipe dream. Two years ago we got a taste of what we can be, this offseason let's se it through and draft/sign the personnel to finally get it done...................

welcome a-board Canuck

alot of Dolphans up there in New Brunswick ? :D

Thanks for the welcome.......

.......and yes, there are a few of us. Generally speaking, I have found that Miami is a fairly popular football team in Canada as a whole based on the amount of TV coverage they get in the sports update shows. Albeit nothing like the coverage you (Americans) receive. For better or for worse, hockey is the name of the game up here. Thank God for satelite dishes!

Re: Thanks for the welcome.......

Originally posted by Canuck
.......and yes, there are a few of us. Generally speaking, I have found that Miami is a fairly popular football team in Canada as a whole based on the amount of TV coverage they get in the sports update shows. Albeit nothing like the coverage you (Americans) receive. For better or for worse, hockey is the name of the game up here. Thank God for satelite dishes!

Are you sure you're not a Newfie? :D
Following a team because of sports updates. LOL

Back
Top Bottom