Super Bowl Winners without a 'Franchise QB' | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Super Bowl Winners without a 'Franchise QB'

ChitownPhins28

Basement Dweller
Reaction score
Or teams that had a QB drafted many years prior to the team's big success and that QB wasnt a huge reason why the team won.
Here's another question: How many Superbowl teams have their been where the QB was just not a big factor?
Remember Big Ben's first Superbowl win? I bet he doesnt cherish it. He played like Crap that day.
I think the idea that Miami cant win again until we have a 'franchise QB' (a young guy that develops into a star) is nonsense. We could get young FAs during the run and maybe at some point we get lucky with a guy drafted later than top 10.

Or teams that had a QB drafted many years prior to the team's big success and that QB wasnt a huge reason why the team won.
Here's another question: How many Superbowl teams have their been where the QB was just not a big factor?
Remember Big Ben's first Superbowl win? I bet he doesnt cherish it. He played like Crap that day.
I think the idea that Miami cant win again until we have a 'franchise QB' (a young guy that develops into a star) is nonsense. We could get young FAs during the run and maybe at some point we get lucky with a guy drafted later than top 10.

giphy (18).gif

Tampa Bay and Baltimore won super Bowls with average QB’s but with an exceptional defense. That was a while back. I can’t think of a more recent example. Maybe Baltimore again with Flacco?

I wouldn’t advocate it though. I think you need an elite guy to be your QB for 10 years because the position is so hard to get right and you can always build around an elite QB. You need many more pieces to get the job done with a game manager.

Miami WON’T win a Super Bowl without a franchise QB. The league has changed since the years when a team could win a Super Bowl without having a top tier QB. Even if the team that wins a SB doesn’t get great play by their QB during the game, they won’t even make it to the SB in the first place if they don’t have that top tier QB.

Your window never closes with a legitimate franchise QB. Without one, your window is short lived.

Look at Seattle, take away that defense, and the last one standing was Wilson.

Pittsburgh, take away that top 5 Dick Labeau(sp) defense and the last one standing was Roethlisberger.

Denver, window was short lived without competent QB play.

If Mahomes and Jackson stay healthy and keep producing, they will be competing for SBs because of themselves.

In the modern era, Super Bowl champions without a top QB is a very short list

Denver has 3 times, 2 with Elway and 1 with Peyton.

Dilfer, Elix2, Johnson, Joe flacco (maybe)

then Peyton riding that defense in 2015.

Very rare those guys get you over the top and as we see it takes a lights out defense to sustain a high level of play. It isn't a sustainable formula as we see the Broncos have collapsed after that. Need that franchise qb above all else

Our reality is that Miami won't be drafting, anytime soon, in the top 5 again after this year and there is NO QB outside of Burrow worthy of an early 1st-round pick this year. So, IF Miami eventually gets a special talent at QB and he becomes our 'franchise QB', then we'll have to Get Lucky like Seattle did.

“Get lucky” sounds like a solid plan lol

why not just throw darts at a board

there is probably at least 15 QBs capable of winning a super bowl if given the right team.

When you're not drafting early in the first round you need to be much luckier. Hopefully, Miami can win 9 games and compete for a wildcard in 2020, but that puts us out of the top 5 unless we're gonna sell our whole 2021 draft to move up, maybe for Lawrence.

Too young are you guys.

My list:

- Jim Plunkett - slightly better than average.
- Joe Theisman - slightly better than average.
- Doug Williams - hot garbage but strongest arm you’ll ever see. Once threw ball OOB to stop clock on 4th down lol.
- Phil Simms - growing up in NJ saw most Giants games. Simms was awful.
- Jeff Hostetler - shows you how good Simms was. Gets hurt and they win SB anyway w this guy - total trash. Thank you Lawrence Taylor and Co.
- Mark Rypien - had epic season that year but blaaaah
- Troy Aikman - don’t believe me? Check out his career stats by season. Guy rarely tossed TD passes outside of the ‘teens and TD to INT was no bueno. Won due to OL, emmitt smith, great WR and great D and Herschel Walker
- Brad Johnson - LoL
- Trent Dilfer - double LoL
- Joe Flacco - LoL
- Nick Foles - LoL

disagree on Eli - he’s better than average.

it can happen but you have to catch lightning in a bottle. And it is barley happening anymore thanks to the rule changes. So yeah, let’s get an elite QB and be in the playoff conversations every year.

Back
Top Bottom