Super Bowl XXVII | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Super Bowl XXVII

Teenwolf

You are an animal
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls, hope everyone is safe and well!

Over in the UK we are 1 week into a lockdown and with no live sport I'm feasting on old games on good old Ytube! Anyhow, much to my shame, I watched Super Bowl 17 for the first time ever! As I am 41 I was obviously too young for this game and just wanted to hear your thoughts on the game but also that season. I feel it is our least talked about Super Bowl appearance and season. Can any of you older guys and girls shed some light on the season and how it felt to see theit shortened by the strike?

Peace

Last edited:
We had an awesome defense that year and a great power RB in Andra Franklin who was among the league leaders in yards.

The playoffs were interesting as you had more rounds so the sudden death chills you had were extended as i believe we played NE, SD and the Jets to get to the SB.

The SB itself was a slugfest - like a heavyweight boxer going against a middleweight (us) but the middleweight just wouldn’t go down despite being a outweighed man to man by about 30-40 pounds on the lines or so it seemed.

Everyone knew it was a matter of time before Wash pulled ahead - or so they thought. Somehow our D kept them out of the EZ (13 points going into Q4) thanks to 2 INTs by our D. Then the “play” of the game happened and for a brief moment we jumped for joy as we saw victory in the form of Kim Bokamper batting a pass in the air and running under it, securing it and crossing the Skins goal line for an improbable pick 6 that puts us up 24-13 and likely game over as the skins could not throw on us that day. But alas, Joe Theisman made his best play of the game by tracking the deflection and breaking up the would be INT. It was one of the greatest DEFENSIVE plays in SB history given the impact on the outcome of the game. Bokamper did nothing wrong. Theisman just made a play most DBs don’t even make. Then Riggins popped the run to put them ahead and that was it as our offense didn’t muster a single FD in the 2nd half IIR. The game was a white knuckler and I always thought under appreciated as SBs go until the NFLs greatest games piece this year that had it in there and ranked pretty high. I think retrospectively, historians of the sport have realized what a special game that was in an era sandwiched by a lot of clunkers as far as SBs go. Only shame is we didn’t win.

Hey man, appreciate your thoughts. Yes, Theisman really did do little in the game and that play was by far his best of the game. I think Woodley's performance was atrocious, other than the big td play I'm not sure if he mustered 50 yards in passing. Also our punter kept putting our defencse in a hole and as you said they palyed really well. After the game I thought we really did have a shot at winning but as I said the poor QB and punter really did hurt us.

I wasn't overly impressed with Riggins either. Other than the big td run, he really didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but as you mentioned theirbig lines really did wear our boys down.

I definitely enjoyed the game way more than I thought I would have.

We had an awesome defense that year and a great power RB in Andra Franklin who was among the league leaders in yards.

The playoffs were interesting as you had more rounds so the sudden death chills you had were extended as i believe we played NE, SD and the Jets to get to the SB.

The SB itself was a slugfest - like a heavyweight boxer going against a middleweight (us) but the middleweight just wouldn’t go down despite being a outweighed man to man by about 30-40 pounds on the lines or so it seemed.

Everyone knew it was a matter of time before Wash pulled ahead - or so they thought. Somehow our D kept them out of the EZ (13 points going into Q4) thanks to 2 INTs by our D. Then the “play” of the game happened and for a brief moment we jumped for joy as we saw victory in the form of Kim Bokamper batting a pass in the air and running under it, securing it and crossing the Skins goal line for an improbable pick 6 that puts us up 24-13 and likely game over as the skins could not throw on us that day. But alas, Joe Theisman made his best play of the game by tracking the deflection and breaking up the would be INT. It was one of the greatest DEFENSIVE plays in SB history given the impact on the outcome of the game. Bokamper did nothing wrong. Theisman just made a play most DBs don’t even make. Then Riggins popped the run to put them ahead and that was it as our offense didn’t muster a single FD in the 2nd half IIR. The game was a white knuckler and I always thought under appreciated as SBs go until the NFLs greatest games piece this year that had it in there and ranked pretty high. I think retrospectively, historians of the sport have realized what a special game that was in an era sandwiched by a lot of clunkers as far as SBs go. Only shame is we didn’t win.
Don’t know how many times I thought “If only...” regarding that play after that game.

Couldn't have said it much better. I remember thinking Miami just needed one more drive, but it never came.

Before the game Woodley was an ascending talent. Afterward, his career was essentially over. Four completions will do that.

Great game by Miami's defense, giving the team a chance.

Funny, it says Super Bowl 27 in the heading. I was thinking "Dallas and Buffalo? What's he care for? Uh.....OK, Bills-9 turnovers, Leon Lett-1 funny turnover, Bills routed us in Miami for the AFC then got curb stomped by the Cowboys. OK, just glad it wasn't us in Pasadena then." But then I realize it's that Kim Bokamper game he was referencing. I had no idea we'd lose, go to one more super bowl two years later with a new QB and then never go back ever again. Who Knew?

Hey man, appreciate your thoughts. Yes, Theisman really did do little in the game and that play was by far his best of the game. I think Woodley's performance was atrocious, other than the big td play I'm not sure if he mustered 50 yards in passing. Also our punter kept putting our defencse in a hole and as you said they palyed really well. After the game I thought we really did have a shot at winning but as I said the poor QB and punter really did hurt us.

I wasn't overly impressed with Riggins either. Other than the big td run, he really didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but as you mentioned theirbig lines really did wear our boys down.

I definitely enjoyed the game way more than I thought I would have.
Yep. Who was our punter? Orosz? He had a weak leg. Woodley was dreadful and didn’t complete a single pass in the 2nd half. We could have won that game though. When Duhe picked Theisman in the 2nd half at about the Skins 43, we were set up w great FP but the O didn’t even get a first down. I was proud of our D that despite the skins running 45+ times, the play action / pass game never opened for them.

Funny, it says Super Bowl 27 in the heading. I was thinking "Dallas and Buffalo? What's he care for? Uh.....OK, Bills-9 turnovers, Leon Lett-1 funny turnover, Bills routed us in Miami for the AFC then got curb stomped by the Cowboys. OK, just glad it wasn't us in Pasadena then." But then I realize it's that Kim Bokamper game he was referencing. I had no idea we'd lose, go to one more super bowl two years later with a new QB and then never go back ever again. Who Knew?
Damn it, only just noticed I put Super Bowl 27! I can't work out how to edit the title?

Looking back, I think if Shula had gone to Strock earlier Miami may have won. Tough decision, though, especially since Woodley got off to a good start and played fairly well in the postseason that year.

He was the future of the franchise at that point. There was no way the Dolphins could have expected Dan Marino to fall into their laps.

That said, I think that season may have been Shula's best. How many coaches could have gone that far with Woodley at quarterback?

Looking back, I think if Shula had gone to Strock earlier Miami may have won. Tough decision, though, especially since Woodley got off to a good start and played fairly well in the postseason that year.

He was the future of the franchise at that point. There was no way the Dolphins could have expected Dan Marino to fall into their laps.

That said, I think that season may have been Shula's best. How many coaches could have gone that far with Woodley at quarterback?
I’ve said and wondered the same. He got a team to the SB w an 8th round draft pick QB who had his limitations. It was masterful coaching and really Wash was a much more balanced team, plus bigger and more physical. Yet, we almost won. 1 play. Remember when Belichek went 3-0 w Garappolo and Brissett? The media were talking about him like he was a God. Shula went 12-3 in ‘82 and a SB bid w a QB who wasn’t as good as either of those guys. I do think it was his best season as coach.

I also think we would have gone to Strock earlier had we fallen behind. That was the formula. Once you went to Strock you were 1 dimensional and Shula had to keep his options open - including the threat of Woodley running- while we were ahead. Having said that, since he didn’t complete any passes in the 2nd half it’s hard to imagine Strock not having been able to at least get us another 3 or so.

If I remember, we had the lead when Rigggins' ran for his TD. We punted and then Wash ran the ball like five or six straight times to run the clock down and then Theismann threw the TD to Brown. Wasn't a lot of opportunities to get Strock in the game. I suppose after Riggins' run we could've went to him. He did get in eventually, went 0-3. I have never watched that game again. Seen plenty of Riggins' highlights to last more than a lifetime.

If I remember, we had the lead when Rigggins' ran for his TD. We punted and then Wash ran the ball like five or six straight times to run the clock down and then Theismann threw the TD to Brown. Wasn't a lot of opportunities to get Strock in the game. I suppose after Riggins' run we could've went to him. He did get in eventually, went 0-3. I have never watched that game again. Seen plenty of Riggins' highlights to last more than a lifetime.
Strock probably should have come in 1 series earlier.

That game and the 'Sea of Hands' game bother me more than any other Dolphins loss.
The difference for me was I expected Miami to beat Oakland. I knew they were a great team, but the Dolphins were better.

I thought it would be an upset if Miami defeated Washington. The Redskins had more talent.

It was actually pretty inspiring how the defense kept Miami in the game. But, I do agree it was frustrating. So many missed opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom