Super Bowl XXVII | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Super Bowl XXVII

If the officials had correctly called Riggins fumble inside the 10, Strock would have had a chance down only 20-17 with 2 minutes. That game still bothers me.
I forgot about that. Big advantage having instant replay.

Don Strock has an autobiography about his time in Miami. It's a great read.
He said about Super Bowl 17 that Shula was going to put Strock in to start the second half because of Woodley's struggles. But right before the half what seemed like a great thing was actually a curse: Fulton Walker returned the KO for a TD, put Miami up 17-13 instead of being down 10-13 at half.
With the lead, Shula decided to give Woodley one more shot. He did nothing, and by the time Strock did get put in it was too late.
We might have been better off not scoring the TD and going right to Strock, but we will never know.
This game is one of my top 3 all time sickest Dolphins' games(the other two being the choke loss at NE to end the 2002 season and the 1994 playoff game at SDiego we lost 21-22 after leading 21-3)
I just missed the Sea of Hands game by one year, became a fan in 1975.
I heard Strock talk about that in an interview as well. And your list of sickening games matches mine. I’ll add the ‘81 playoff loss to SD even though it was one the greatest games ever and the meltdown on Monday night after leading the Jets 30-6 at one point. Honorable mention: prime time game vs Colts where we controlled the clock for 59:59 and still lost 21-17 somehow.

I remember watching SB XVII. Its the only game that I cried after watching. I really thought we would win that game. I remember three plays from it. Woodley's 80 yd TD to Cefalo, Walker's TD run back and of course Thiesman (sp?) knocking the ball out of our DE hands in the endzone (or there about). All these years later I still have not watched it or any part. I have to change the channel if they start showing Riggins TD run. Tough, tough loss. Reading ya'lls posts has helped lessen the blow (a bit :)).

I remember watching SB XVII. Its the only game that I cried after watching. I really thought we would win that game. I remember three plays from it. Woodley's 80 yd TD to Cefalo, Walker's TD run back and of course Thiesman (sp?) knocking the ball out of our DE hands in the endzone (or there about). All these years later I still have not watched it or any part. I have to change the channel if they start showing Riggins TD run. Tough, tough loss. Reading ya'lls posts has helped lessen the blow (a bit :)).
It stung for sure. All of these year later I can appreciate what a great and underrated SB it truly was.

Wolf - I seem to recall Walker having more than 1 great run back - is my memory correct in that he took a couple more to midfield or thereabouts?
Yes he nearly broke one earlier. Although we lost I really enjoyed the game but it would have been a heartbreaker back then.

Must have been a strange season to only play the 10 games plus playoffs. I'm hoping this coronavirus will be sorted out by September. Here in the UK all of the football (soccer) leagues have stopped with 7 or 8 games to play. I have no idea how they are going to resolve it as the lower leagues have promotions/relegations to be decided still. They have cancelled the European Championships (Internationals) which would have started in June. Crazy!

I heard Strock talk about that in an interview as well. And your list of sickening games matches mine. I’ll add the ‘81 playoff loss to SD even though it was one the greatest games ever and the meltdown on Monday night after leading the Jets 30-6 at one point. Honorable mention: prime time game vs Colts where we controlled the clock for 59:59 and still lost 21-17 somehow.
I forgot about that Monday night jets game.
It's probably top 5-7...we did come back from that though, made the playoffs, so in the end the loss didn't hurt us so much.
But that choke in New England- it almost looked like, as I was watching it, someone told the Dolphins to remember that they agreed prior to throw the game, and they literally did every dumb thing they could do on every single solitary play for 4:59 to ensure a loss.

It's probably top 5-7...we did come back from that though, made the playoffs, so in the end the loss didn't hurt us so much.
But that choke in New England- it almost looked like, as I was watching it, someone told the Dolphins to remember that they agreed prior to throw the game, and they literally did every dumb thing they could do on every single solitary play for 4:59 to ensure a loss.
Yeah, that loss in NY on Monday night was a bad loss, and it stung at the time. But in the end, Miami went on to win the division and the Jets stayed home in January. The loss at NY in 1986 was much worse, IMO.

And that loss to the Patriots in 2002. That was easily the worst loss in the last 20 years. I still remember feeling nothing but numb when the ball went through the uprights and NE won and Miami was out of the playoffs for the first time since 1996. My fandom has never recovered.

yes and up until they started playing like morons, they throughly dominated an uninterested NE team who had no reason really to try.

Back
Top Bottom