Supplemental Draft Questions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Supplemental Draft Questions

GoPhins!

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
At the risk of getting blasted off of this board, what would the odds be of us drafting Leinhart (sp) in the supplemental draft? And how does it work? Does everyone pick in the same order as the regular draft?

I think that he would be worth next years number one.

Flame Away! :cooldude:

Supplemental is for players who get disqualified from college football after the draft (usually for academic reasons) and decide to declare for the pros now instead of waiting until next year's draft. Matt Leinart will not be a candidate for any supplemental draft.

Buddwalk said:
He already said he doesnt want to enter it and will stay his senior season

Wasn't that before Norm Chow bolted? Maybe he's rethinking his decision after seeing what USC has lost this offseason.

Buddwalk said:
He already said he doesnt want to enter it and will stay his senior season

Well, so much for my fantasy of him changing his mind and us getting him. :)

Redvs.Blue Phin said:
Wasn't that before Norm Chow bolted? Maybe he's rethinking his decision after seeing what USC has lost this offseason.

They haven't lost much. That school is a factory.

Redvs.Blue Phin said:

Nope he announced it about a month ago

As I understand it, the supp. draft is done by weighted lottery, i.e. worst record gets the most chances at having the #1 pick.

Leinart reaffirmed his decision to stay at USC, even after Chow left. The problem is that Leinart would be foolish to go supplemental. The pay scale is up in the air, as opposed to being the top pick of the draft, which he almost certainly will be next year. If he comes out now, who knows what he's getting as a contract? If he comes out next year, take what Alex Smith gets and tack on 5-10%.

But, no GoPhins, it's not a stupid question, because that would be an ideal situation for us. I'm pretty sure we'd burn our 2006 #1 to grab him if the opportunity arose.

phunwin said:
As I understand it, the supp. draft is done by weighted lottery, i.e. worst record gets the most chances at having the #1 pick.

Leinart reaffirmed his decision to stay at USC, even after Chow left. The problem is that Leinart would be foolish to go supplemental. The pay scale is up in the air, as opposed to being the top pick of the draft, which he almost certainly will be next year. If he comes out now, who knows what he's getting as a contract? If he comes out next year, take what Alex Smith gets and tack on 5-10%.

But, no GoPhins, it's not a stupid question, because that would be an ideal situation for us. I'm pretty sure we'd burn our 2006 #1 to grab him if the opportunity arose.

With the supplemental he would know that Miami or Cleveland would take him.

SF picking 1st wouldnt. But either Miami or Cleveland would and if he sees either place as a good situation then it would be wiser to go now instead of next year where who knows where he could go or get picked. If SF gets the top pick again in 2006 and say the #2 pick is, oh the NY Giants. Then Matt could go #3 or later and the money then is less than if he would go in the supplemental.

Redvs.Blue Phin said:
They lost some key coaches and a few starting defensive palers.

Easily replaceable. They lost more the year before and they repeated as national champs.

He said he wont enter the supplemental draft (even after Chow left) so there is no chance of that happening

DonShula84 said:
He said he wont enter the supplemental draft (even after Chow left) so there is no chance of that happening

Shawn May said he wasn't going pro either!

Things change!

MikeO said:
With the supplemental he would know that Miami or Cleveland would take him.

SF picking 1st wouldnt. But either Miami or Cleveland would and if he sees either place as a good situation then it would be wiser to go now instead of next year where who knows where he could go or get picked. If SF gets the top pick again in 2006 and say the #2 pick is, oh the NY Giants. Then Matt could go #3 or later and the money then is less than if he would go in the supplemental.

I'm wrong; they DO use the draft order, not a weighted lottery.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668 (go about halfway down)

However, I remain convinced that it makes no financial sense for him to come out. The supp draft $ doesn't come out of the rookie pool, right? And even if it did, said pool has already been determined. Leinart would surely get a much lower contract now than if he came out next year.

Back
Top Bottom