Supplemental Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Supplemental Draft

USC DT Manuel Wright and GT DE Travis Parker are the only 2 guys I have heard about. Neither has been approved for the draft yet but likely will make it. Wright could be a 2nd/3rd rounder if someone wants to take a flyer on his potential. Parker moved from DT to DE and may have some potential but I have no clue how NFL scouts see him yet.

"USC junior-to-be defensive tackle MANUEL WRIGHT (#92) started twice as a sophomore versus Arizona and BYU... recorded a total of 23 tackles, six tackles for loss, two sacks, two pass breakups and two fumble recoveries... top games from 2003/2004 include Michigan (2003), BYU (2004), California (2004), Colorado State (2004), Washington State (2004), Oklahoma (2004)... has had a few minor injuries; sprained right elbow, which happened in the second-half of the Arizona State contest... missed games against Notre Dame and UCLA with a sprained left ankle, which happened against Arizona... missed one game during his freshman year due to an infection in his chin... attended Long Beach CC (CA) in 2002 in order to work on his grades, but did not play football... played high school football at Poly High School in Long Beach along with several other top-rated USC prospects... three-technique defensive tackle with first-round ability, but has not always played at that level... needs to make better use of his hands to get off blocks... plays with good balance and lateral quickness for a player of his size... shows good ball recognition... takes off a few downs here and there... said to be a coachable guy with solid motor on the field... talent level falls somewhere between Albert Haynesworth (Tennessee) and Marquise Hill (New England)...

Has been as high as 365 pounds, according to his father, coming into his true freshman year, but lost a fair amount of weight before the start of that season, and played at around 325-335 pounds... has gotten into much better shape during the past three years... has good definition to his arms and upper body... still has a small gut in the middle, but not to the point where he does not look to be in about 90% of the shape he would want to be at this time of year... currently, he is right at or above 6-foot-6 (6060) and 315-320 pounds... will likely look to workout for teams around 300-310 pounds... was timed in the mid-to-late 4.8 range at a lower weight coming out of high school (before adding weight before arriving at USC)... #92 on game film... the NFL Supplemental Draft is set to occur on July 10th, so you can expect Wright's
"Pro Day" workout to happen sometime in mid-to-late June."

Even with the playmaker flashes he's shown in his mere 3 starts that's a lot of hype comparing him to former first and second round picks. Basically being ranked as high as his former teammates, when they were late first to mid-second round selections this year as well. If he shines at his pro day workout anything is possible when it comes to the draft.

With our concern at DT, do you think if this guy falls to the 4th then Nick grabs him? I mean, its technically not giving away a pick because we are getting a DT who is young. I think its a possibility.

He's a lock to be a 1st rounder if he has a good to very good season. The only point that bothers me is that Wright is like Seymour and not so much like Wilfork.

Jaj said:
He's a lock to be a 1st rounder if he has a good to very good season. The only point that bothers me is that Wright is like Seymour and not so much like Wilfork.

He isn't playing this year thats why he is in the supp. draft.

GreenMonster said:
He isn't playing this year thats why he is in the supp. draft.

No he would be playing this season if he stayed in school which he should have.

Jaj said:
No he would be playing this season if he stayed in school which he should have.

He took off all spring practice and tried to get his academics in line. That didn't work. He is so far behind he probaly would have never been eligible to play this year. Instead of not playing and just doing school work, he will try the NFL route.

In the supplemental draft I think we have the #2 position but would be giving up our pick in the same round next year (which will probably be a lower pick). So, if Wright makes it to the 3rd round, I would think we have to grab him. A potential 1st rounder for a 3rd is always good especially for a mid to late 3rd (where I expect our pick to be next year). The issue is character. If Saban doesn't think he has the right character when it comes to his dedication to doing things the right way on the field then we won't take him in any round.

What do you guys think of Wright?

caneaddict said:
In the supplemental draft I think we have the #2 position but would be giving up our pick in the same round next year (which will probably be a lower pick). So, if Wright makes it to the 3rd round, I would think we have to grab him. A potential 1st rounder for a 3rd is always good especially for a mid to late 3rd (where I expect our pick to be next year). The issue is character. If Saban doesn't think he has the right character when it comes to his dedication to doing things the right way on the field then we won't take him in any round.

What do you guys think of Wright?

Actually, I think I read somewhere that its a weighted lottery. The 6 worst teams get put in one group, non-playoff teams in another, and playoff teams last.
The lottery is weighted in that teams within each group get a number of "chances" corresponding with their ranking within their group.

For example, San Fran would get their name on 6 tickets put in a hat. Miami would get their name on 5, Cleveland 4, Chicago 3, Tampa 2, and Tenn would get only 1 ticket in the hat. Then the tickets are drawn to determine draft order. While SF would stand the highest chance of being drawn first, it is entirely possible that Tenn could get the #1 pick.
After the top six draft places are determined, the next groups are done the same way. Teams then state which rounds they are willing to use on which players in the draft. Whoever spends the highest round (and has the highest draft order if there is more than one team offering the same round pick) gets the player, but forfeits that round pick in the next general draft. If a team does not have a particular pick in the following year's draft, they cannot use that round in the supplemental draft.
I don't have a link because I think it was last year that I read about this.
If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

Back
Top Bottom