Support For Coach Gase | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Support For Coach Gase

My confusion and desire would be for Gase to get more involved early in player acquisition...so that we don’t waste high draft picks on players he is going to release.

He needs to meet and size up potential draft picks ahead of time.

No more Jordan Phillips, Jay Ajayi’s...Devante Parker’s...etc etc etc

I find most of the complaints about problems with Gase's coaching overstated and under thought out.

I'm beginning to feel too many posters here use an exceptionally narrow or incomplete in their view of the function of a coach. I'd like to see a post where all the requirements for an effective head coach are defined and all the situations where those requirements are most effected by players, coaching staff and opposing teams interactions are broken down in detail.

I'm not looking for those over simplistic "win the #$%# game" statements, but a structured review of how the stated requirements for a head coach interact with the current status of players, coaching staff and opposing teams. This would probably be such a long post that it would need to be done as a series.

Then I may be more sympathetic to some of those posters complaints about Gase.

This is an old list, but a good starting point for a discussion. I find Gase to be within a range of average to below average in each area:

1. Postgame analysis - It’s a coach’s job to hit the game tape almost immediately after the game is over. Even while on airplanes taking the team back from away games, an NFL head coach is trying to figure out what worked and what didn’t. And most importantly how to fix what didn’t work. By Monday morning, he’s got his ideas; so does his staff. Gathering the staff's opinions, weighing them and applying them are a big part of his job as well.
  2. Game planning - Implementing whatever he (and his staff) learned from the preceding game is only part of getting ready for the next week. The coach will also look at the last game or two of the team's upcoming opponent. It's his job to use all of that information. He must work with his assistant coaches, and both his offensive and defensive coordinator to come up with a way to beat the next team.
  3. Practice makes perfect - All the while, the head coach is making sure things get done on the practice field.Some coaches might run specific positions; some may run the entire offense or defense. Often though, a coach will try to take a wider view so he can see what his team is and isn't doing well. Managing the practice routine gives him a chance to see that the adjustments the team needs to make get done correctly.
  4. What time is it? Game time! - When the day of the game comes, a head coach is still tweaking his game plan. During the game, his job is to continue making adjustments based on the success, or failure, of the plan he an his staff have put together during the week...Decisions like Washington head coach Mike Shanahan allowing Robert Griffin III to continue playing on a clearly hurt leg are one's that head coaches constantly have to make. We can argue whether he was right or wrong to do so, but the bottom line is that it's the head coach's call.
  5. Buying the groceries in free agency and the NFL draft - The fact is though, some coaches do not excel in player evaluation— especially when it comes to the guys they aren't coaching at the time. Whether a head coach is good at evaluating talent or not, he has to be involved. He at least needs to tell his general manager and owner what he needs and what he's looking for. He has to watch film on a player the team is thinking of signing or drafting.
  6. Schemes and formations - While the offensive and defensive coordinators are ultimately in charge of designing and implementing schemes, the head coach is the one who is ultimately providing the larger framework that they are working in. A defensive coordinator who loves to run a base 3-4 isn't going to be brought in by a coach who believes a 4-3 is the best way to go. An offensive coordinator who loves the ground and pound isn't getting hired by a coach who wants to use the spread or read-option.
  7. Lead - A lot of things can be put under this umbrella. Leading the team includes being a dedicated professional in meetings, praising or punishing a player and making sure the team holds together when things get rough during a game...A head coach needs to lead on and off the field—in and out of the locker room.
    It's his job.
    That includes dealing with the media. There are right and wrong ways to deal with the media, and how the team does it can be influenced by how their coach does it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1666834-a-detailed-list-of-an-nfl-coachs-responsibility

2nd to last series under 4 minutes down by 2 - 4th down and 4 - why punt the ball to Brady.

I cannot take this type of overly conservative play calling!!!

The Drake play was like winning the lottery - it’s great I am thrilled we won -but seriously why punt on 4th and 4.

Also Tannehill’s pocket presence is the worse I have ever seen for an NFL QB and Gase so loves him.

That combination equals a lifetime of mediocrity...9 and 7 SUCKS!!! Not into it....so whatever!!!

My confusion and desire would be for Gase to get more involved early in player acquisition...so that we don’t waste high draft picks on players he is going to release.

He needs to meet and size up potential draft picks ahead of time.

No more Jordan Phillips, Jay Ajayi’s...Devante Parker’s...etc etc etc

Miami Dolphins: Describing who has final say in Miami isn't so black and white, because it is a collaborative effort among vice president Mike Tannenbaum, general manager Chris Grier and coach Adam Gase. Contractually, however, Gase has final say on personnel, which gives him the biggest voice in the room. -- James Walker

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/calls-shots-32-nfl-draft-rooms/story?id=38481907

This is an old list, but a good starting point for a discussion. I find Gase to be within a range of average to below average in each area:

1. Postgame analysis - It’s a coach’s job to hit the game tape almost immediately after the game is over. Even while on airplanes taking the team back from away games, an NFL head coach is trying to figure out what worked and what didn’t. And most importantly how to fix what didn’t work. By Monday morning, he’s got his ideas; so does his staff. Gathering the staff's opinions, weighing them and applying them are a big part of his job as well.
  2. Game planning - Implementing whatever he (and his staff) learned from the preceding game is only part of getting ready for the next week. The coach will also look at the last game or two of the team's upcoming opponent. It's his job to use all of that information. He must work with his assistant coaches, and both his offensive and defensive coordinator to come up with a way to beat the next team.
  3. Practice makes perfect - All the while, the head coach is making sure things get done on the practice field.Some coaches might run specific positions; some may run the entire offense or defense. Often though, a coach will try to take a wider view so he can see what his team is and isn't doing well. Managing the practice routine gives him a chance to see that the adjustments the team needs to make get done correctly.
  4. What time is it? Game time! - When the day of the game comes, a head coach is still tweaking his game plan. During the game, his job is to continue making adjustments based on the success, or failure, of the plan he an his staff have put together during the week...Decisions like Washington head coach Mike Shanahan allowing Robert Griffin III to continue playing on a clearly hurt leg are one's that head coaches constantly have to make. We can argue whether he was right or wrong to do so, but the bottom line is that it's the head coach's call.
  5. Buying the groceries in free agency and the NFL draft - The fact is though, some coaches do not excel in player evaluation— especially when it comes to the guys they aren't coaching at the time. Whether a head coach is good at evaluating talent or not, he has to be involved. He at least needs to tell his general manager and owner what he needs and what he's looking for. He has to watch film on a player the team is thinking of signing or drafting.
  6. Schemes and formations - While the offensive and defensive coordinators are ultimately in charge of designing and implementing schemes, the head coach is the one who is ultimately providing the larger framework that they are working in. A defensive coordinator who loves to run a base 3-4 isn't going to be brought in by a coach who believes a 4-3 is the best way to go. An offensive coordinator who loves the ground and pound isn't getting hired by a coach who wants to use the spread or read-option.
  7. Lead - A lot of things can be put under this umbrella. Leading the team includes being a dedicated professional in meetings, praising or punishing a player and making sure the team holds together when things get rough during a game...A head coach needs to lead on and off the field—in and out of the locker room.
    It's his job.
    That includes dealing with the media. There are right and wrong ways to deal with the media, and how the team does it can be influenced by how their coach does it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1666834-a-detailed-list-of-an-nfl-coachs-responsibility

Great response.

Can you add some information about the relationship between players skillsets and game planning with an underlying assumption that only 3 offensive and 3 defensive players will be real good and all the rest average with some occasional unique attributes ie: good blocker, slow or fast, good or average hands, exceptionally knowledgeable about their position or just a solid NFL player with good general position knowledge.

i was just surprised gase didnt run a draw play on the final play

Great response.

Can you add some information about the relationship between players skillsets and game planning with an underlying assumption that only 3 offensive and 3 defensive players will be real good and all the rest average with some occasional unique attributes ie: good blocker, slow or fast, good or average hands, exceptionally knowledgeable about their position or just a solid NFL player with good general position knowledge.

The only information I can reliably give is empirical evidence from each response. To your point(s), 3 offensive players being good (QB, RB, WR/TE) and defensive (D-Line, LB, DB) have worked with the correct playcalling in normal situations...not nominal, simply normal.

If I let some tell it, the Phins have a QB (Rt17), RB (Drake), but no WR (Stills...but I digress)...but we show up at the end of most offensive categories. Those are not last place players.

Defensively, the D-line is lacking, as is the LB corp, but the DB's are the best unit. This may be a low end unit, but not as low as measured due to scheme (IMO). The Big Nickel (McDonald/Jones at Hybrid) could cover up a lot of our coverage liabilities without sacrificing tackling.

There are certainly times when things get frustrating. Play calling (at times), defensive breakdowns, poor technique, sloppy play and stupid penalties or turnovers.

It is also hard to ignore (or believe) that we are sitting at 7-6 with 3 games left considering all that has transpired over the course of the season. And to top it off, just beat the NE Patriots, who were for the most part at full speed. I think the only starter missing from the game this week was Isaiah Wynn who was slotted to start as a rookie.

We lost...

starting TE (before week 1)
starting LG (week 1)
starting DL/best run stopper (week 3)
starting C (week 4)
starting QB (week 5 thru 11)
most productive WR (week 7)
#3 rotational DT (week 8)
starting KR/ key WR (week 10)
best CB (week 12)

We have had terrible injuries over the last several years but I can't remember it ever being this severe with key players.

Do things need to be changed or addressed? Absolutely....but I'm not ready to scrap everything at this point.

Give us half of those injured guys back and we are likely sitting at 9-4 and tied with the Patriots right now. Possibly even up by one game.

Looking forward I am....

1. signing a better backup QB (and drafting one in the mid-rounds).
2. drafting the best available edge player in the first round in 2019.
3. drafting the best available CB (or DT) in round 2.
4. signing a quality run stuffer (Danny Shelton).
5. changing defensive scheme.
6. Moving TJ McD to LB and installing Fitz at FS (unless I can trade TJ).

The criticisms of Coach Gase are valid and I will not question anybody who wants him fired but even if you are a critic you have to admit he has taken a flawed team that has become more flawed due to I jury and has them in a position to get to the playoffs. I've seen coaches with more talented teams do much less

There are certainly times when things get frustrating. Play calling (at times), defensive breakdowns, poor technique, sloppy play and stupid penalties or turnovers.

It is also hard to ignore (or believe) that we are sitting at 7-6 with 3 games left considering all that has transpired over the course of the season. And to top it off, just beat the NE Patriots, who were for the most part at full speed. I think the only starter missing from the game this week was Isaiah Wynn who was slotted to start as a rookie.

We lost...

starting LG (week 1)
starting C (week 4)
best CB (week 12)

We have had terrible injuries over the last several years but I can't remember it ever being this severe with key players.

Do things need to be changed or addressed? Absolutely....but I'm not ready to scrap everything at this point.

Give us half of those injured guys back and we are likely sitting at 9-4 and tied with the Patriots right now. Possibly even up by one game.

Looking forward I am....

We lost...

starting LG (week 1)
starting C (week 4)
best CB (week 12)

Looking forward I am....

And don't forget the secondary included Aikens and McTyer

I am convinced that play calls are hobbled by the interior line. Gase downy trust them to protect for more than 2.5 seconds. That is why our offense has been horizontal.

Look at the deep throw to stills yesterday. How many time this season has our QB had the time for that route to develop? I bet it averages less than 2 drop backs per game.

I am convinced that play calls are hobbled by the interior line. Gase downy trust them to protect for more than 2.5 seconds. That is why our offense has been horizontal.

Look at the deep throw to stills yesterday. How many time this season has our QB had the time for that route to develop? I bet it averages less than 2 drop backs per game.

Adam Gase is ultimately responsible for the pass protection.

does this post still get made if Charles Clay doesn't drop a wide open TD to win the game and we don't pull off a fluke play that this league won't see for another 50 years? sitting at 5-7...I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom