Suprise Pick? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Suprise Pick?

HollowBeast

Active Roster
Reaction score
With all the talk about a Defense player being drafted at 11, are we missing a consideration of this?

What if Miami selects the top offensive lineman on the board at 11, would that be a bigger surprise to Fans , let’s say then when Miami took Ted Ginn over perennial Pro Bowlers Darrell Revis. Or Patrick Willis ! Ginn has hung on but did not do much for Miami worthy of that pick at 9 in 2007.

Since Juwuan James was talked about in a trade for CJ Anderson, is he in the long term plans?

Protecting Tannehill or any Qb is a must,

Less than a week to the draft , getting more doubts now than ever about Who I want Miami to pick

Any thoughts

Marcus Davenport.
He's not on the official 30 list (which is odd on the surface)........ and who is the LDE of the future behind Wake who is closing in on 40? Wake's time is coming to an end; Harris is a right-side-only guy; Quinn is historically a right-side guy who spent a little bit of time on the left last year, but isn't being paid big money for what he can do as a "strong side end" on base downs ....... and William Hayes is certainly not the future.

Davenport is like a young Jason Taylor. He has strong-side potential and can line up on either side effectively, which means we can maybe now get into some proper strongside/weakside shifts down the line which would be a big boon schematically IMO. 2nd most important position on the field and represents a huge future need for our defense..... so lock it up now while we have the chance and give Marcus a year to grow into the position.

I’m not smitten by any of the OT’s. My surprise players are Jaire Alexander and Lamar Jackson.

Fan favorites are LBer’s Edmunds and Smith or FS’s Fitz and James.

If we find them gone Evans or LVE could be fall back options. Reid seems too much of a reach IMHO.

Surprise picks would be CB, WR, DE, or DT. CB is probably the smart/safer choice in that case.

Now if Nelson or Mayfield is there, not to mention Chubb or Barkley, then Lord only knows what could happen.

With all the talk about a Defense player being drafted at 11, are we missing a consideration of this?

What if Miami selects the top offensive lineman on the board at 11, would that be a bigger surprise to Fans , let’s say then when Miami took Ted Ginn over perennial Pro Bowlers Darrell Revis. Or Patrick Willis ! Ginn has hung on but did not do much for Miami worthy of that pick at 9 in 2007.

Since Juwuan James was talked about in a trade for CJ Anderson, is he in the long term plans?

Protecting Tannehill or any Qb is a must,

Less than a week to the draft , getting more doubts now than ever about Who I want Miami to pick

Any thoughts

Outside of Nelson, there is no OL worth taking that high. You can easily trade back and get guys in mid/late Round 1, although the better value it to grab some of the 2nd tier OTs on Day 2.

Marcus Davenport.
He's not on the official 30 list (which is odd on the surface)........ and who is the LDE of the future behind Wake who is closing in on 40? Wake's time is coming to an end; Harris is a right-side-only guy; Quinn is historically a right-side guy who spent a little bit of time on the left last year, but isn't being paid big money for what he can do as a "strong side end" on base downs ....... and William Hayes is certainly not the future.

Davenport is like a young Jason Taylor. He has strong-side potential and can line up on either side effectively, which means we can maybe now get into some proper strongside/weakside shifts down the line which would be a big boon schematically IMO. 2nd most important position on the field and represents a huge future need for our defense..... so lock it up now while we have the chance and give Marcus a year to grow into the position.

I have a sneaky suspicion you’re right. I had been thinking for awhile this would be our pick. Let him learn for awhile from a real pro, then become a dominant DE.

If Quinton Nelson drops Miami would have to at least consider him. The offensive line looks set for this year, but there are a lot of short-term contracts including JuWuan James who the OP mentioned. Orlando Brown would be an interesting round two option if he's there.

Surprise picks for me in the first: Tavon Bryan, Josh Jackson, Derrius Guice and maybe Lamar Jackson.

Marcus Davenport.

Interesting DE prospect. What round would you grade him? Are you saying with the 11th pick?

Interesting DE prospect. What round would you grade him? Are you saying with the 11th pick?
Yes, most certainly. It's been very quiet on the Davenport front the past couple months, I think for the same reason it's been crickets regarding Terrell Edmunds whom I graded as 1st round talent and a higher-ceilinged safety than the overrated Minkah Fitzpatrick..... and that reason is that teams are secretly all over them and hoping they'll drop.

Since before the Davenport hype began I had him as a high-upside top 15 pick whom I thought looked like one of top pass-rush prospects of the past handful of years. The Senior Bowl then generated this narrative that Marcus might be dropping, and I think plenty of teams were quite happy to let that run uncorrected in hopes of it pushing him outside the top 10 and into an area that makes for a comfortable trade-up, seeing as there's a massive drop off at DE after him.

Those Senior Bowl coaches may have helped us out by both lining him up a bunch at DT and also making him rush with his fingers in the dirt (things that have no bearing on his NFL future), rather than playing him off the edge all week, allowing him to rush standup if he wanted, and thus providing him more reps on his own turf so to speak to adjust quicker to the level of competition and without having to do as much thinking. Had they done that, I think by midweek Marcus would've been wrecking offensive tackles and would've been the talk of the town. He's one of the elite-ceilinged prospects of this class, so yeah- he's worth a top 11 pick..... and our front office may be very quiet about him to deter teams behind us from trading up, seeing as he's the only 1st round worthy DE behind Chubb.

My surprise picks:

Marcus Davenport
Derrius Guice
Rashaan Evans
Josh Rosen

Yes, most certainly. It's been very quiet on the Davenport front the past couple months, I think for the same reason it's been crickets regarding Terrell Edmunds whom I graded as 1st round talent and a higher-ceilinged safety than the overrated Minkah Fitzpatrick..... and that reason is that teams are secretly all over them and hoping they'll drop.

Since before the Davenport hype began I had him as a high-upside top 15 pick whom I thought looked like one of top pass-rush prospects of the past handful of years. The Senior Bowl then generated this narrative that Marcus might be dropping, and I think plenty of teams were quite happy to let that run uncorrected in hopes of it pushing him outside the top 10 and into an area that makes for a comfortable trade-up, seeing as there's a massive drop off at DE after him.

Those Senior Bowl coaches may have helped us out by both lining him up a bunch at DT and also making him rush with his fingers in the dirt (things that have no bearing on his NFL future), rather than playing him off the edge all week, allowing him to rush standup if he wanted, and thus providing him more reps on his own turf so to speak to adjust quicker to the level of competition and without having to do as much thinking. Had they done that, I think by midweek Marcus would've been wrecking offensive tackles and would've been the talk of the town. He's one of the elite-ceilinged prospects of this class, so yeah- he's worth a top 11 pick..... and our front office may be very quiet about him to deter teams behind us from trading up, seeing as he's the only 1st round worthy DE behind Chubb.
I appreciate the insight. He would most certainly be a surprise pick for us at 11. I am not sure how thrilled I'd be going DE in the 1st two years in a row. Especially with the thoughts of letting him sit a year or two behind Wake. I'd rather go for a bigger need at 11 this year, someone who can start and contribute from year 1 (unless it's a qb).

I personally don't think Davenport is even on the radar with the way this FO works. He's not a current need and with amount of money they invested in Branch, equity invested in Harris with a 1st, and money/pick invested in Quinn, i can't see them taking Davenport.....even if he is possibly viewed as the BPA on the board when they pick.

It seems like they are dead set on drafting a QB, LB, DB or DT in the 1st round.

Back
Top Bottom