Surfers 2005 Dolphin Mock | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surfers 2005 Dolphin Mock

KB21 said:
I just fail to see what some of you see in McPherson. This is a quarterback whose highest career completion percentage at FSU was 51.8%. He has not shown that he can throw accurately or read the field. Something tells me that some fans are hot for him because he can run.

OK, now you got me started. ;) Read this to the end, then respond:

1) With regards to the Dolphins team needs, we already have a prototypical pocket-passing QB that may well be the answer to our QB problems. While Im not convinced about Feeley yet, you'll agree with me that he remains a possibility. So much in fact that most posters dont feel that we need to pick a QB in round one. Rather than select ANOTHER QB in the same mold (Greene, Walter, Orton, Orlovsky etc), I can see Saban trying to diversify his QB options by going in a completely different direction. And AM is a different kind of QB - a QB that teams need to gameplan for MUCH DIFFERENTLY. And if theres one thing we know for certain about Saban (and theres not much we definitely know about the guy) - its that he likes to mix up both his schemes and personnel to keep oppossing teams guessing.

2) With regards to his running ability, I particuarly like that he ran among the fastest cone times of ANY player that worked out this spring. That means hes not just fast, but hes incredibly agile. And my guess is that Saban likes it too. He played Marcus Randall extensively last year, another athletic QB that can make plays with his legs. He also recruited (and LSU eventually signed) ANOTHER dual threat QB in Ryan Perrilloux. So Saban cerainly has a sweet tooth for mobile QB's. As one of only five teams to attend McPherson's private workout, Im guessing he is on Saban's radar.

3) With regards to McPherson's passing ability, forget his Florida St numbers. Thats not why Im interested in him. I like his AFL play, which I take quite seriously. He ran a wide open offense to perfection, where quick decisions needed to be made on a small (and short) field. Kurt Warner started that way as well. That shows me that McPherson DOES have the tools to throw the ball with accuracy. Now, can he throw the 12 yard slant consistetly? I dont know. Can he read defenses and find his 3rd and and 4th targets? Again, I dont know. But truth be told, we dont know if Aaron Rodgers can do those things either. Thats why he makes sense in the third and not the first.

In short, this move DOES make sense. AM in the third is a good investment that hedges our bets with young Feeley still in the fold. It doesnt neglect our QB needs, but doesnt overemphasize them either.

Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

Hostile7 said:
Doesn't suck, but there are some issues...
thanks, I think :)

1. There's little to now chance Spears is there at 18. Arguably he's the best defensive player in the draft.
Ive seen a lot of sites (including GBN) predicting that Spears will fall into the 20's. I can easilly see the following players selected before Spears: Rodgers, Smith, Benson, Brown, Caddy, Mike Williams, B Edwards, Williamson, Mark Clayton, Barron, Merrimen, Derrick Johnson, Pac Man, Rolle, Carlos Rogers. DL's like Travis Johnson, David Pollack, Demarcus Ware and Erasmus James can also go before Spears - its just a matter of team preferences.
2. Brodney Poole is the best all around S in the draft. He's round 1 talent. Top 20 on my draft board.
Probably right here. But you never know with safeties. hes another guy being predicted all over the end of the first and mid second round.

3. Jerome Mathis is projected in round 2.

So it seems. A big flop of a pick I made here :(

When I revise the mock for my signature, Im going to change this pick with another of the late-round smaller WR's that I think Saban is looking for - such as Utah WR Steve Savoy, who Saban probably watched quite a lot while scouting Alex Smith.

Agent51 said:
This is the best looking mock I've seen yet. Maybe not in terms of ACCURACY, but for filling our needs/wish-wise, I like it. There are a few things I would change, but for the most part I agree, nice job dude

Thanks man. I think your assessment is especially true - even if the players arent 100% correct, they represent the teams needs as I see them.

I think if we trade down in round one, Saban would like to spend at least two first day picks on defense - to get younger on the DL and find a starter in the secondary.

Second day picks will be about finding depth on the OL, WR and DB as Saban begins to build this team in his own image. I also think we'll see at least one hybrid LB/DE selection on day two.

I like this draft too but I say forget McPherson and take Jason Campbell with 18 and then work on Mathis and Wilkerson in the second round if nothing else is available.

I doubt Campbell will last that long though :(

Surferosa said:

1) With regards to the Dolphins team needs, we already have a prototypical pocket-passing QB that may well be the answer to our QB problems. While Im not convinced about Feeley yet, you'll agree with me that he remains a possibility. So much in fact that most posters dont feel that we need to pick a QB in round one. Rather than select ANOTHER QB in the same mold (Greene, Walter, Orton, Orlovsky etc), I can see Saban trying to diversify his QB options by going in a completely different direction. And AM is a different kind of QB - a QB that teams need to gameplan for MUCH DIFFERENTLY. And if theres one thing we know for certain about Saban (and theres not much we definitely know about the guy) - its that he likes to mix up both his schemes and personnel to keep oppossing teams guessing.

2) With regards to his running ability, I particuarly like that he ran among the fastest cone times of ANY player that worked out this spring. That means hes not just fast, but hes incredibly agile. And my guess is that Saban likes it too. He played Marcus Randall extensively last year, another athletic QB that can make plays with his legs. He also recruited (and LSU eventually signed) ANOTHER dual threat QB in Ryan Perrilloux. So Saban cerainly has a sweet tooth for mobile QB's. As one of only five teams to attend McPherson's private workout, Im guessing he is on Saban's radar.

3) With regards to McPherson's passing ability, forget his Florida St numbers. Thats not why Im interested in him. I like his AFL play, which I take quite seriously. He ran a wide open offense to perfection, where quick decisions needed to be made on a small (and short) field. Kurt Warner started that way as well. That shows me that McPherson DOES have the tools to throw the ball with accuracy. Now, can he throw the 12 yard slant consistetly? I dont know. Can he read defenses and find his 3rd and and 4th targets? Again, I dont know. But truth be told, we dont know if Aaron Rodgers can do those things either. Thats why he makes sense in the third and not the first.

In short, this move DOES make sense. AM in the third is a good investment that hedges our bets with young Feeley still in the fold. It doesnt neglect our QB needs, but doesnt overemphasize them either.

:up: :clap: :yeahthat: :woot: :cool2: :yes:

I was thinking exactly the same thing!!! People are quick to put him down for lack of experience, yet most of them are the same ones who want to draft Matt Jones as a WR, which he has a very small window of experience!!!!! Adrian McPherson will be the best QB taken in the draft, BAR NONE!!!!!

Surferosa said:

:cooldude: I was not a Big fan of using a pick on this guy till now. you have been on of the few lvl headed guys around here and I respect your opinon. I like you mock and your explanation for picking AM. Good job.

NorthFloridaFin said:
:up: :clap: :yeahthat: :woot: :cool2: :yes:

I was thinking exactly the same thing!!! People are quick to put him down for lack of experience, yet most of them are the same ones who want to draft Matt Jones as a WR, which he has a very small window of experience!!!!! Adrian McPherson will be the best QB taken in the draft, BAR NONE!!!!!

Thats dude. Please keep in mind though that Im not saying he'll be the best QB taken in the draft bar none. I like him because he has the chance to be a special QB with the pricetag of only a 2-4th round pick. Coupled with the fact that we already have a young pocket-passing QB of our own to groom, I see AM as an ideal selection to complement our current personnel.

This mock certainly would be an "ideal" scenario for us. I'm not sure I'd take Spears.

The Mathis pick would be good if he's there. We definitely need an upgrade at WR.

As it has been well said, Mathis probably won't last till the fifth. Thus I'd rather use that pick on a big DT. I know some Mocks have the DT from Bama there!?

KB21 said:
I just fail to see what some of you see in McPherson. This is a quarterback whose highest career completion percentage at FSU was 51.8%. He has not shown that he can throw accurately or read the field. Something tells me that some fans are hot for him because he can run.

I don't like or want anything to do with AM, I would rather take Ryan Fitzpatrick in the 4th!

Surferosa said:
This meager exercise in draft prognostication is worth about us much as a Football signed by Dave and Jan Wannstadt. Still, Im not so much looking for compliments or rips as I just had to get this out of my system. All comments are welcome and appreciated :o

(For what its worth, I called Vernon Carey last year in my Doomsday Mock)

1.7 (from Minnesota for #2) RB Caddilac Williams - While the Vikes jump ahead of the Bears and Browns to get Braylen Edwards, we drop down a few spots and take the last of the three big RB's. Cedric Benson could also be the pick here if hes available. Either one fills our greatest need of finding a capable, potentially dominating ball carrier. To those that are interested, I guess the Vikes throw in another mid round pick next year to complete the deal.

1.18 (from Minnesota for #2) DE/DT Marcus Spears - I can see him dropping to #18 since hes a bit of a tweener and doesnt do any one thing in a dominant fashion. What, you dont think he will fall to 18? I can see the top 2 QB's, 3 RB's, 4 WR's, 3 DL, 1 LB and 3 DB's all being drafted before him. Nick likes him beacuse he can play both DL and DT, and we need to get younger along the front four. Combined with out FA acquisitions, our DL is once again a team strength. We can go for a Safety or even a WR like Mark Clayton here, but ultimately Saban cant pass up the value of drafting his former player.

2.15 (From KC Surtain) Brodney Poole. FS, Oklahoma. Saban recruited him out of high school, and he fills a dire need in the secondary. He has a good size/speed combo and may be able to come in and start. Like Spears, he may not last this long, but coverage safeties have a way of falling come draft day.

3.5 Adrian McPherson, QB, Florida St. - The wildcard of the Dolphins draft. Aside from being a mouth-watering prospect, he's the best compromise for an Organization that hasnt decided what direction to take with regards to the QB position. By Picking AM, Saban does the smart thing - he hedges his bet on Feeley with a mid-round signal caller that possesses the ceiling of a high round, blue-chip prospect. Feeley, Ferrotte and Mcpherson give Saban/Linehan three intriguing QB options - A) the young, developing incumbent, B) the seasoned vet, C). the high risk/high reward guy.

4 Ben Wilkerson, C, LSU - This is the second LSU player Saban drafts, and he solidifies the interior of the line. A starting five of Carey, Jeno, Wilkerson, Hadnot and McDougle looks much better than last years bunch.

5 Jerome Mathis, WR, Hampton. Im think that Saban will look to complement his WR corps with a small, quick receiver in the mold of protypical Bellicheckian receiver (Patten, Branch, T Brown, Bethel, Ward, etc). At 5 ft 11 with 4.31 speed, Mathis will give the offense another weapon and a different look than Chambers, Booker, Thompson, and Gilmore.

5 (from KC Surtain) Kelvin Hayden, DB, Illinois - We need a fifth corner if/when Surtain is traded. Its anybody's guess who Saban likes here. My guess is that he wont take one of the late round prospects with blazing speed and questionable cover skills - I imagine hed be more interested in a more well rounded player that he can coach to his liking. Is that Hayden? We shall see.

7 Khari Long DE/LB Baylor. On the second day, my guess is that we will look for multi-purpose guys that can play multiple positions. Long is one of those guys.

So? Does it suck? :lol:

Wow, how did you come up with that Vernon Carey pick?

I don't think Minnesota will give up those two picks now in this particular draft, but if they did that would be a good draft.

BlueFin said:
Wow, how did you come up with that Vernon Carey pick?

I have to dig up the thread where I picked Carey.... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom