Surtain and the cap? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surtain and the cap?

fishypete

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone really knows what the actual cap room the Dolphins have at this time. With Surtain still counting towards that cap amount, I don't see how the Dolphins could fit the selection of a 2nd picked player from the draft. I may be wrong at this, but I believe the Dolphins have to have enough cap space prior to the draft....so do we see a fire sale....Surtain given away...or does Saban drop low enough in the draft....so he can fit the cap?

Any info? Any thoughts? GO PHINS!

We don't need to sign our picks right away.

Well, according to Clumpy, Surtain's cap hit is about $8.4 million and by trading him, it will save us about $5.5 million.

And also, we still don't know our exact cap number. That is info for thr NFL and Miami only.

caneaddict said:
We don't need to sign our picks right away.

Usually the 1st and 2nd picks are already signed prior to the draft....because they already know from the last draft...appx how much the contract amounts will be....the point is....will Saban have enough cap space....he'll need at least 5-6 mil...to fit all the draft picks.

Nublar7 said:
Well, according to Clumpy, Surtain's cap hit is about $8.4 million and by trading him, it will save us about $5.5 million.

The problem is....we have to trade him....so far that doesn't look like it will happen.

fishypete said:
he'll need at least 5-6 mil...to fit all the draft picks.

No he won't. all the draft picks will sign longer than a one year contract. and that money is broke up over the length of the contract. say we draft benson and sign him to a 5 year 30mill contract. he is not makeing 6mill a year. he may make 375,000 1st year 7.4 mill 2nd year 4.5 mill 3rd year and so on. trust me we will have no problems signing our picks with surtain still on the team.

godfater21 said:
No he won't. all the draft picks will sign longer than a one year contract. and that money is broke up over the length of the contract. say we draft benson and sign him to a 5 year 30mill contract. he is not makeing 6mill a year. he may make 375,000 1st year 7.4 mill 2nd year 4.5 mill 3rd year and so on. trust me we will have no problems signing our picks with surtain still on the team.
What about the signing bonuses? I have absolutely no clue how the cap works, appreciate all the info.

godfater21 said:

Your forgetting the signing bonus....figure appx 10-12 mil for the 2nd pick easily.

I found this story concerning draft hold outs....from 2002;

The Chargers took CB Quentin Jammer was the fifth overall pick, and he has stayed away from camp. So have sixth pick DT Ryan Sims of the Chiefs, seventh pick OT Bryant McKinnie of the Vikings and 12th overall selection DT Wendell Bryant of the Cardinals. All four players have reputable agents, most of whom I've done deals with in the past.

The hangup for Jammer, Sims and McKinnie seems to be the contract the Bills worked out with the No. 4 pick, Mike Williams. The deal has clauses and escapes the others all desire but there is no way the Chargers are going to surrender to those demands, and why should they?

Last year, San Diego had the exact same spot in the draft and its selection, RB LaDainian Tomlinson, received $9.75 million over the first three years of the contract, which is a tremendous deal for the player. The Chargers have $12.6 million on the table over the first three years to Jammer, which is a 30 percent increase from a proven 1,200-yard back in a year when the cap didn't go up 30 percent

12.6 mil for the first three years....and they are talking about the 5th player taken in the 2002 draft....so how much more for the 2nd player in the 2005 draft.

And here's something more concerning signing bonus's...and how they are figured in...and I believe would be close to what the Dolphins would have to pay a 2nd picked player from the draft;

Let's just look at Portis for instance as it compares to Bailey, who was traded to get Portis. As I said, Bailey was on the cap ledger for a $6.8 million tender. He moves on, and Portis, who signed an eight-year deal for $50 million -- got a $13 million bonus. Take that and divide it by six years (you can amortize only through 2009), and the cap charge for the signing bonus alone will be ($2.166 million). Add that to a salary that could be as low as $380,000 (because Portis has only two credited seasons). Now his cap charge is $2.55 million, which is $4.25 million less than Bailey was on the books for.

fishypete said:
I found this story concerning draft hold outs....from 2002;

The Chargers took CB Quentin Jammer was the fifth overall pick, and he has stayed away from camp. So have sixth pick DT Ryan Sims of the Chiefs, seventh pick OT Bryant McKinnie of the Vikings and 12th overall selection DT Wendell Bryant of the Cardinals. All four players have reputable agents, most of whom I've done deals with in the past.

The hangup for Jammer, Sims and McKinnie seems to be the contract the Bills worked out with the No. 4 pick, Mike Williams. The deal has clauses and escapes the others all desire but there is no way the Chargers are going to surrender to those demands, and why should they?

Last year, San Diego had the exact same spot in the draft and its selection, RB LaDainian Tomlinson, received $9.75 million over the first three years of the contract, which is a tremendous deal for the player. The Chargers have $12.6 million on the table over the first three years to Jammer, which is a 30 percent increase from a proven 1,200-yard back in a year when the cap didn't go up 30 percent

12.6 mil for the first three years....and they are talking about the 5th player taken in the 2002 draft....so how much more for the 2nd player in the 2005 draft.

And here's something more concerning signing bonus's...and how they are figured in...and I believe would be close to what the Dolphins would have to pay a 2nd picked player from the draft;

Let's just look at Portis for instance as it compares to Bailey, who was traded to get Portis. As I said, Bailey was on the cap ledger for a $6.8 million tender. He moves on, and Portis, who signed an eight-year deal for $50 million -- got a $13 million bonus. Take that and divide it by six years (you can amortize only through 2009), and the cap charge for the signing bonus alone will be ($2.166 million). Add that to a salary that could be as low as $380,000 (because Portis has only two credited seasons). Now his cap charge is $2.55 million, which is $4.25 million less than Bailey was on the books for.
All that is giving me a headache.

fishypete said:
Your forgetting the signing bonus....figure appx 10-12 mil for the 2nd pick easily.

most signing bonuses get split up now anyway. plus there is only a percentage of the bonus that counts against the cap. the whole thing does not count against it.

Back
Top Bottom