Surtain fined for hit on Rod Smith | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surtain fined for hit on Rod Smith

Taco John

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Gene Washington announced on the Dan Patrick show today that Patrick Surtain got fined for his helmet to helmet hit on Rod Smith. He didn't specify the size of the fine, but he made it clear that Surtain did get fined for the hit.

yea Taco they showed it on ESPN, but they also showed Kennedy leaving his feet head first like a spear for what defintely was a illegal hit...Surtans was more a wrap your arms and they were face to face..but you didn't see Rod head rock back...But a rule is a rule and I guess Surtan has to pay.

You're still here? Man, get the **** off our boards. In case you didnt notice the final score was Miami 24.....BroncHos 22...in your backyard.

:monkey: Mile High Salute

By the way, what is up with your classless fans? They were all booing while Chambers COULD HAVE been paralyzed. Man, is everyone from SouthPark over there? Trey Parker and Matt Stone did an outstanding job of portraying the trash of Denver.

Originally posted by echo_bravo
You're still here? Man, get the **** off our boards. In case you didnt notice the final score was Miami 24.....BroncHos 22...in your backyard.

:monkey: Mile High Salute

By the way, what is up with your classless fans? They were all booing while Chambers COULD HAVE been paralyzed. Man, is everyone from SouthPark over there? Trey Parker and Matt Stone did an outstanding job of portraying the trash of Denver.

Dude your no better and I'm ashamed to have you here as a phin fan. Your cheering over on the bills board over winfield's injury. Don't be a hypocrite when your just as bad. At least Taco doesn't swear and cheer on injuries. He's a solid guy.

Dude, I didnt cheer on any injury. Over there they were laughing how Denver ****ed us up, while NOW it came back and bite them in the ass!

poetic justice if you ask me

i thought that was weak of the NFL tonight guys to show replays of what Surtain did and compare that to kennedy. Surtain was trying to make legitimate tackles, while kennedy was clearly trying to lower his head and use his helmet as a weapon. those guys who played in the league can't tell the difference between a guy making a tackle which includes incidental helmet to helmet contact and a guy launching himself, head lowered, into a player in midair? and the broncos appealing, saying he was trying to hit him in the chest--i can remember "spearing with the helmet" being a penalty in the nfl for a long time now, at least back to the early '80's. what does it matter where the helmet lands--if you're using it as a weapon, you're going to get punished. kennedy could just as easily have broken his own neck on the play. a suspension should give him some quiet time to think about that.

Hey uys this Taco asshole is the same one who keep censoring and deleting posts oiff the Bronco board.

Now he's here whining. Such low class. No pride at all.

If you are interested in hearing the Interview that Dan Pattrick has with Gene Washington, Visit this Link:

http://espn.go.com/danpatrick/#

Click on "Listen to the Dan Patrick Show."

Forward two hours in if you want to hear the entire interview. If you just want to hear about the Surtain and Kennedy fines, go 2:09:00 into the clip.

He talks specifically about Surtain's fine at 2:11:00 in the clip.

While I think Surtain's hit on Rod Smith was more tame than the one he put on Mcaffrey and far more less offensive than what Kennedy did to Chambers, I also agree that if he hit with his helmet than fine him. However, the fact that they are not relasing the amount of the fine leads me to believe that this was only to shut Shanahan yap and appease his complaining about his guy and how unfair his treatment was. I imagine the fine was a small one if any.

First offense of the season is usually $5-$10 thousand.

It sounded like he has been fined all along, but the media just didn't pick up on it.

Cmon Echo, Don't make fun of injuries. Especially if it is against a hated rival. I would never do that.

Originally posted by Taco John
Gene Washington announced on the Dan Patrick show today that Patrick Surtain got fined for his helmet to helmet hit on Rod Smith. He didn't specify the size of the fine, but he made it clear that Surtain did get fined for the hit.

Here are my comments on this situation. These comments may upset some viewers of these posts.

I am highly upset upon learning about Gene Washington fining Surtain. I believe a lot of the fine was due to Mark Scherlet's(who is probably unhappy that with ESPN hiring Bill Walton he is longer the ESPN employee with the most operation performed on) and Sean Salberry's whining about the Kennedy suspension and they showed a few helmet to helmet hits done by Surtain. I also believe that Gene Washington has a grude against defensive backs. Washington was a wide reciever in his playing days.
As for myself wide recievers are the group of football players that I like the least(noseguards and centers are my favorites). I feel that the wide recievers would like to have the physical play reduced. I do not agree at all with fining defensive players with head shots against wideouts. I confess that I do really enjoy seeing a defensive player laying out a wideout, and do feel it is a part of the game and should not be de-emphasised.

Back
Top Bottom