Switch Montana and Dan's teams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Switch Montana and Dan's teams

PerfectSZN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Who else believes that if you gave Dan some of the teams that Montana had , he would have won more SB's than Montana. Heck, for that matter...switch some of the teams that Jim Kelly had with what Marino had.

Marino got scrwd. He was the best ever (end of story)!!

PerfectSZN said:
Who else believes that if you gave Dan some of the teams that Montana had , he would have won more SB's than Montana. Heck, for that matter...switch some of the teams that Jim Kelly had with what Marino had.

Marino got scrwd. He was the best ever (end of story)!!

Even if DAn had a RB would he have ever handed the ball off?

roger craig woulda been very useful to dan, maybe not in marino's early days when he was playing sandlot ball with the marks brothers. as for doing better than kelly, man if not for norwood he woulda had 1 ring, and the other games, the nfc was far superior to the afc, even if dan was qbing the bills. although they did have the lead at the half in the second big game vs big d....interesting questions. if dan played with the talent sf had on defense and RB he would have at least 1 ring imo

Somehow (Losman7), I knew you would be the 1st to reply. Look at what Marino was trying to do during JJ's time frame. He was handing the ball off, he just didn't have the RB. Marino would have handed the ball off if it made sense to do. All he ever wanted to do was win.

By the way, I have read many of your posts. You actually make sense and know your stuff (most of the time). Kind of refreshing after seeing and listening to some of the Bills fans at the games. Some of those guys are just Wacked out!!!

Losman7 said:
Even if DAn had a RB would he have ever handed the ball off?

If you are talking about his desire to throw as much as possible in order to win, then you have the definition of a great player...someone who wants the ball in his hands, the pressure on his shoulders when it's make or break. His comebacks tell you that he mostly got it done.

But really, if Marino was willing to hand off to Kareem Abdul Jabackup, he would hand off to anybody. This makes your question seem like a relatively new football fan so see below for football 101.

He would have won more with a running back that the defense had to honour. Everybody already knows that. (See John Elway's career and Superbowl record before and after Terrell Davis' arrival.)

See Payton Manning before Edge.

Yeah, Dan was a great QB, he woulda done what it took to win.

I can't tell you if Marino would have won a superbowl in a different system. I don't even know why he didn't win one in Miami's. It doesn't matter though in my eyes, he will always be the best, superbowl or not.

claytonAndDuper said:
roger craig woulda been very useful to dan, maybe not in marino's early days when he was playing sandlot ball with the marks brothers. as for doing better than kelly, man if not for norwood he woulda had 1 ring, and the other games, the nfc was far superior to the afc, even if dan was qbing the bills. although they did have the lead at the half in the second big game vs big d....interesting questions. if dan played with the talent sf had on defense and RB he would have at least 1 ring imo

BTW I'm not saying Norwood should not have made the "wide right". But if we remember, he was one yard beyond his year long. So we could also ask, why could the offense not move the ball a bit more to get within range? I'm not blaming the offense, but I'm not blaming the kicker alone either. A real pro makes a one yard longer than his season long when needed, but a real pro also gets his kicker one yard closer. Kelly cannot be compared to Marino. Period.

I think it would be close. Montana read defenses better than Marino, but Marino was a better passer who could complete a pass even against perfect coverage.

IMO Marino would have won several SBs with the right team around him.He was a fierce competitor and the game was always within reach when he was at the helm.

He was a bit of a gunslinger but winning was always his most important goal.

I can't tell you if Marino would have won a superbowl in a different system. I don't even know why he didn't win one in Miami's. It doesn't matter though in my eyes, he will always be the best, superbowl or not.

I'm not even saying switch the offensive system, I'm simply saying switch the players then adapt as needed. We all know that Shula can adapt to the needed offense, etc.

I think it would be close. Montana read defenses better than Marino, but Marino was a better passer who could complete a pass even against perfect coverage.

Was he really better at reading defenses or did the defense just simply have to worry more about the running game (which puts them more out of position, making it easier to hit the WO)?

CrunchTime said:
IMO Marino would have won several SBs with the right team around him.He was a fierce competitor and the game was always within reach when he was at the helm.

He was a bit of a gunslinger but winning was always his most important goal.

Perfectly said.

dolphan north said:
BTW I'm not saying Norwood should not have made the "wide right". But if we remember, he was one yard beyond his year long. So we could also ask, why could the offense not move the ball a bit more to get within range? I'm not blaming the offense, but I'm not blaming the kicker alone either. A real pro makes a one yard longer than his season long when needed, but a real pro also gets his kicker one yard closer. Kelly cannot be copmpared to Marino. Period.

If you are talking about stats and gaudy numbers yo're right. But Kelly ran an entire offense on his own(Hull helped) got to 4 Super Bowls, And beat Marino on a regular basis.

Honestly I don't care if you compare Kelly to Marino. When the dust settled, all Marinos numbers couldn't beat Kelly.

Honestly I don't care if you compare Kelly to Marino. When the dust settled, all Marinos numbers couldn't beat Kelly.

You are just blinded by your loyalty to the Bills on that one. Honestly, you are starting a team and must pick either Marino or Kelly (in their prime). You are telling me honestly that you take Kelly???

Back
Top Bottom