T.O. said freshman Tua reminded him of Steve Young | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

T.O. said freshman Tua reminded him of Steve Young

How many times has a team had a chance to draft an "elite" WR prospect that also played with their franchise QB in college?

There is a LOT to be said about this single fact when evaluating Smith.

Sophomore QB, possibly without his mentor QB around, looking to step in the the Franchise QB role needing help on the field. A HC looking to cement his chosen QB by surrounding him with talent, confidence and a offense tailored to him.

Your young QBs ex-teammate is a Heisman Winning WR who just so happens to want to be reunited with his old QB in the NFL and you have the #3 pick and first available non-QB picking team on the board.

He also has an ex-teammate in this draft that is a 3 down RB with a 1st round grade. Who also wouldn't mind playing with his old QB again.

OH... WR and RB happen to be two of your team's top offseason priorities....

Sorry, #3 is a dead lock and perfect match with Smith. You can't script it much better.

And #18 might be a foregone conclusion if Harris is there.

Except for Tua @ #5 last year, there probably hasn't been a more predictable pick for Miami in some time.

Owens was about DeVonta Smith's size when he left high school and went to Chattanooga, weighed about 170 for a long time. So skinny that Alabama, Auburn, and all the SEC schools to passed on him and let him go to Chattanooga.

The he found the magic juice and turned into a taller version of Schwartzenegger. :chuckle:

Out of 77 receivers only 9 of them became all pro, and one of them as a punt returner. With Quarterbacks if it matters to you, only less than half drafted in the 1st round get to throw over 24 td's and 4k yards.

The mistake being made is each player should be evaluated and judged upon their own merit. The talent and skill they have. Not by the history of those before them.

That’s like playing the lottery and plugging in all winning numbers of the past to then choose the ones that have come up the most throughout history. In no way will that predict what will happen next.

IDC how many first round receivers have failed. It doesn’t matter. IDC how many top 10 receivers have failed. Same goes for small school players. Many more have failed than succeeded. But when you see one that looks like an exception, you should draft them.

Same applies here.

The mistake being made is each player should be evaluated and judged upon their own merit. The talent and skill they have. Not by the history of those before them.

That’s like playing the lottery and plugging in all winning numbers of the past to then choose the ones that have come up the most throughout history. In no way will that predict what will happen next.

IDC how many first round receivers have failed. It doesn’t matter. IDC how many top 10 receivers have failed. Same goes for small school players. Many more have failed than succeeded. But when you see one that looks like an exception, you should draft them.

Same applies here.
Im not sure I agree with that strategy either... If you look at the past 20 years and look at GMs success at picking the right players, they sort of fail miserably. I mean every draft pick they make, you gotta assume, is a player they think is going to be really good... And yet, the bust, good, great % remain fairly consistent.

The numbers of the past are real, thing is, they're not a reflection of the talent level in each different round, they're a reflection of the inability of GMs to accurately predict which players are going to be good. Of course they're not flat out clueless, as we can clearly see a trend of good players going earlier than bad players on average. OTOH, they're not very good at it because you can still find good players in the 3rd and beyond.

In other words, if GMs were good at picking players, you couldnt find an NFL worthy starter outside of the first 2 rounds.

The real question is: How can a GM be fairly confident that he's much better than all 31 other GMs by a large amount at picking good players?

Because if that aint the case, then you have to build your strategy around something other than your hunch of which player will be great.

When we were first interested in Tua I started to watch Alabama Juedy and Waddle were the guys at wideout. Yet Tua seemed to go to Smith for a key pass. I loved him for his routes etc. I thought Juedy was overhyped and Smith was a better receiver. Do I think he is worth the pick at three? No

Do you watch college football at all? Serious question...

Because I've never ever heard someone describe Smith's game as "he's just fast".

You can be skeptical of his size and how that will transition to NFL but saying the guy is successful simply because of his "speed" is just an inaccurate statement.

If anything, that was probably Smith' 2nd biggest concern with some people, other than his size, is that he doesn't have that elite speed..

So you should really pull up some of his highlights and look and how he creates separation and gets open...it's not even close to being all speed.

Because I've never ever heard someone describe Smith's game as "he's just fast".

You can be skeptical of his size and how that will transition to NFL but saying the guy is successful simply because of his "speed" is just an inaccurate statement.

If anything, that was probably Smith' 2nd biggest concern with some people, other than his size, is that he doesn't have that elite speed..

So you should really pull up some of his highlights and look and how he creates separation and gets open...it's not even close to being all speed.
Watch college football. Are you aware Smith runs a 4.27. Dude you have no idea what your talking about. Smith is a bullet.

Nevermind I'm thinking of Waddle. I get them confused sometimes. Waddle has more upside. But I like Chase. Chase is a tough WR. Not in a mood to gamble on Smith. He is only 175 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom