Taboo subject: Patrick Turner | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Taboo subject: Patrick Turner

I'm guessing that most if not all HOF etc WRs at least saw the field their rookie year. Pat Turner never even dressed for a game.

I think we can all agree that we do not have a great WR corp. Yet Pat Turner could not break into it.

He cannot even play special teams. Maybe he should look at gaining weight and playing TE.

IMO, he will either see the field this year or will be gone. We will not carry a player that has showed nothing what so ever as far as being able to play in the NFL in some way. As far as I'm concerned, the 5th WR spot should be between him and Pat White.

If we do draft or bring in a FA WR his days will be numbered. Hartline, Camarillo, Bess and even Ginn all bring something to the table.

I'm guessing that most if not all HOF etc WRs at least saw the field their rookie year. Pat Turner never even dressed for a game.

I think we can all agree that we do not have a great WR corp. Yet Pat Turner could not break into it.

He cannot even play special teams. Maybe he should look at gaining weight and playing TE.

IMO, he will either see the field this year or will be gone. We will not carry a player that has showed nothing what so ever as far as being able to play in the NFL in some way. As far as I'm concerned, the 5th WR spot should be between him and Pat White.

If we do draft or bring in a FA WR his days will be numbered. Hartline, Camarillo, Bess and even Ginn all bring something to the table.
Actually

Heartline/Camarillo have the same role on this team
Bess is our Slot
Ginn is our Stretch the field guy

Camarillo's days in Miami is the one that is Numbered if I had to guess.

If we drafted or brought in a #1 FA WR it would looke more like this:

#1 WR
#2 Heartline
#3 Bess

Situational
#4 GINN - Stretch the field (While I hate the guy, this is his best role)
#5 Turner - Redzone and backup Reciever

If Turner develops he could even see split time between #2 and #3. Again if He develops.
Chubbs

I think there's a chance Turner could develop into a servicable red zone threat at the WR position.

That being said, I would have liked to see something out of him on gameday in 2009. The fact that he saw zero playing time in his rookie campaign is a bit concerning.

These threads crack me up. Its not a taboo subject. If Hartline had been the 3rd round pick and Turner the 4th would as many people care if they wiffed? The guy didn't show as much as they hoped. He might after this offseason or he might not. The draft is not an exact science, thats why they drafted 2 receivers. They knew one might fail but statistically one of them should pan out. If both do then all the better.

Here's what's funny Dave..

Turner came with the higher draft grade than Hartline.. A much higher one.

Proof-the draft is a huge crapshoot.

Here's what's funny Dave..

Turner came with the higher draft grade than Hartline.. A much higher one.

Proof-the draft is a huge crapshoot.

I totally agree 110% and the FO knows it too. Thats why you see us taking the same position over and over in a draft. Merling/Langford, Murphy/Thomas, & Parmele/Hilliard in '08. Then we have Davis/Smith & Turner/Hartline in '09. Even Henne in '08 & White in '09 kinda fall into that same pattern.

They know that not everyone is going to work out so they hedge their bets to make sure that the targeted need gets addressed one way or another. It's a smart approach IMO.

Third round pick and not being able to play 1 offensive snap on a team with marginal wide receivers at best..
Who would he have taken the place of? Hartline? Cam? He does not match up to Bess. Ginn also is the returner Wasn't really a place for Turner after Hartline came around..

Turner is not a special teams player was a major part in why he was not active. The fact he was not active has no bearing on his future. While he will never be Andre Johnson, he may be a solid Wr or he could be yesterday's news.

He was a 3rd Rd pick & most likely drafted a Rd or two higher than he should have been.

The problem with the comparisons to Miles Austin and Vincent Jackson is that those two guys were immensely physically talented from a triangle numbers perspective. Jackson ran like a 4.4 and change at 241 pounds. Austin had like the perfect NFL body: 6'3", 215 pounds, and ran like a 4.5. Austin's problem is that he went to Mount Union, so he was raw as a new scab. Jackson went to Northern Colorado -- same story (with some immaturity concerns thrown in).

Turner isn't like that. He went to a big time college and played a lot. He should be well coached. He should know how to beat the jam and run good routes. But apparently he doesn't.

The problem going forward is he just doesn't have the physical gifts of Austin and Jackson to build on. He doesn't have much in the way of quickness or top end speed. He's relatively fluid and has a big body, but that seems to be it. Without speed or quickness, though, he won't amount to very much in the NFL.

Has developed slower then expected. Means absolutely nothing about his future impact. Could be the next Andre Johnson or could be the next Mr. Nobody.

Noone knows just yet and ayone who pretends to know has no clue.
Chubbs

Your point about development and future impact is well taken... but Andre Johnson he clearly is not!

Are you even sure that Turner is really ahead of Julius Pruitt???????

The Dolphins could trade Turner to his old coach up there in Seattle and just eat the bonus money right up in the uncapped year.

Another thing, why should the Dolphins keep this guy around when a guy like Kelley Washington is an UFA. Washinton is no Andre Johnson, but he has the size and experience and he graded out really well last year.

Washington had almost the highest catch per target ratio in the NFL.

Yes, he has a bad neck and could be out of the NFL at any time, but really, what player isn't at some risk of the same.

I'm not even saying I want to sign Washinton, I am just saying there are some better options to keeping Turner around.

Myself, I would rather sign Muhsin Muhammad as a player/coach/mentor guy.
Yes, Moose is ancient, but he is what he is. He catches everything,he is, bar none,by far, the best blocking WR in the NFL, he is of the highest character and would be an excellent influence on the young WR's,and he has great size and can still get open at 37.

Dolphins are in no position to put up with 3rd round busts. This WR corps needs improvement, not another project.

I totally agree 110% and the FO knows it too. Thats why you see us taking the same position over and over in a draft. Merling/Langford, Murphy/Thomas, & Parmele/Hilliard in '08. Then we have Davis/Smith & Turner/Hartline in '09. Even Henne in '08 & White in '09 kinda fall into that same pattern.

They know that not everyone is going to work out so they hedge their bets to make sure that the targeted need gets addressed one way or another. It's a smart approach IMO.

Well said. That's really been Parcells' MO throughout his NFL career-- depth in numbers. Worst case scenario, both at the position pan out, and they've got that depth and they've potentially got trade bait.

For example, going with Davis and Smith-- if both pan out, they've got the potential to have another Madison-Surtain, and a nearly uncrackable secondary.

An update on Patrick Turner's progress

Oct 11, 2009
Armando Salguero
I hope Turner becomes a better receiver than he is an interview. You should remain hopeful that can happen at some point because I asked Turner what fans will see from him when he finally gets on the field for the first time in the regular season.
"That I'm a complete receiver," he said confidently. "That I make plays."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...hat-they-want-me-to-do--ive-been-playing.html

Back
Top Bottom