Tackles Ranking - 2019 Draft Post Combine | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tackles Ranking - 2019 Draft Post Combine

Lane Johnson was 78" tall, 303. Isaiah is 78", 305. Jack Conklin was 78", 308. Luke Joeckel, 78", 306.

That doesn't answer the question at all, that is simply a height comparison?

DO you think he will improve on his straight legged style (which actually drops him considerably), or his poor balance?

What about his overall mediocre anchor?

Can you explain how these weaknesses effect his overall game and if you believe he can improve in these areas? What makes you think he can improve in these areas?

So you admit you are basing your rankings purely on measurements....

No I do not admit that. I watched them on YT like everyone, to confirm. The tackles I listed up top are smooth, they have god given ability, it comes easy to them, they are a joy to watch.

Measurements are extremely important, that's why there is combine. We want elite athletes. That's what separates you from first round picks. You can work hard and become good, but you will never be elite unless you have god given ability. That's why Brian Burns will be a first round pick, and some other guy will be UDFA.

His question was about "frame." Go back and check. I answered it.

I get the feeling you really don’t have a reason. In both threads you mention elite about a player and give about as vague an answer as one can.

If you don’t mind, could you answer the questions I ha e about Prince?

DO you think he will improve on his straight legged style (which actually drops him considerably), or his poor balance?

Can you explain how these weaknesses effect his overall game and if you believe he can improve in these areas? What makes you think he can improve in these areas?

Those are perceived weaknesses. You are talking about two things, strength and controlled aggression.
In other words, tackles want to be aggressive, they want to deliver a punch at the right time. The part about the right time is called controlled aggression. All tackles miss a punch at the right time here and there. You have to be very careful not to downgrade a tackle if he missed punch or whiffed, because it can be just a game thing where he simply misses, it happens. Or it can be because he is too stiff arms are not long enough, he does not have the god given ability, and he has to overcompensate and it becomes a constant thing.

Isaiah Prince is a natural athlete, a natural right tackle. He is smooth. It comes easy to him, he gets to the spot easy, he can readjust. If he loses balance, it's a game thing, not an intrinsic quality thing.

Second, the strength. Yes, he needs to get stronger, in the upper body and in the legs. He does not have Cody Ford legs, which is what everyone wants and very few have. That's why there is a gym in the building, to get better.

I do not see big issues with anchoring. Here for example, against Rashan Gary, another top talent.

https://media.giphy.com/media/x0cbPCsVRUBQTSzUDu/giphy.gif

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-25_14-4-7.png
    upload_2019-3-25_14-4-7.png
    213.1 KB · Views: 6
Those are perceived weaknesses. You are talking about two things, strength and controlled aggression.
In other words, tackles want to be aggressive, they want to deliver a punch at the right time. The part about the right time is called controlled aggression. All tackles miss a punch at the right time here and there. You have to be very careful not to downgrade a tackle if he missed punch or whiffed, because it can be just a game thing where he simply misses, it happens. Or it can be because he is too stiff arms are not long enough, he does not have the god given ability, and he has to overcompensate and it becomes a constant thing.

Isaiah Prince is a natural athlete, a natural right tackle. He is smooth. It comes easy to him, he gets to the spot easy, he can readjust. If he loses balance, it's a game thing, not an intrinsic quality thing.

Second, the strength. Yes, he needs to get stronger, in the upper body and in the legs. He does not have Cody Ford legs, which is what everyone wants and very few have. That's why there is a gym in the building, to get better.

I do not see big issues with anchoring. Here for example, against Rashan Gary, another top talent.

https://media.giphy.com/media/x0cbPCsVRUBQTSzUDu/giphy.gif

It is weird that you can write so much and say very little.

"he has bad plays...so"

I am no discussing Strength and controlled agression.

I am discussing basics of what makes an o-lineman good.

Knee bending is what a naturally gifted athletic offensive lineman play with, it allows for fluid movement while being able to keep their balance. We see this happen to Prince because he bends at the waist where he does easily get off balance. While the knees are bent you can easily readjust your body, sink the hip and anchor when needed, but also be able to move laterally quickly.

Losing balance is not just a game thing, but a technique thing and a lack of proper body position...sometimes it is coach-able, but in tough game, players tend to revert back to poor form.

Last edited:
I am discussing basics of what makes an o-lineman good.

Knee bending is what a naturally gifted athletic offensive lineman play with.

Good, finally, you are talking about "knee bending." Thank you for being specific.

Good, finally, you are talking about "knee bending." Thank you for being specific.

I asked specifically about that.

Prince does not play with knee bend...that alone should knock him to late day 2...

Thank you, I was able to click on that single play and it showed Dwayne Haskins Highlights...

You can see on the first play (and OSU quick throwing attack helps) you can see how his stiff legs cause him to get off balance, not to mention how quick his shoulder turn...Benogu was able to easily get him off balance and head inside.

On the second play, watch how slow he comes down to help the guard.

3rd play, should turn and he's reaching you can already see he is already off balance again...

Not saying that all his plays are bad, he will get drafted, but there is enough there to move him easily to a day 2 pick maybe a day 3 type T.

I'm sorry, if the issues are that easy to spot, then he his not a first round talent.

First play is not intrinsic. It's controlled aggression. He whiffed. He got wide. It happens.

Here is what is intrinsic, how he can bend the knees and play controlled. That is intrinsic, the athleticism.

https://media.giphy.com/media/oNAoAQmrMunyh80iYI/giphy.gif

The second play is scheme, they are not digging guys out of there. It's a pass play. He knows what's coming.

Third play is the same, it's a goalline situation. Edge wants to go outside, let him go. The goal is to protect the inside. You can see he flipped his hips and turned, and protected the inside. He is not kicking up to protect the passer. It's a scheme thing.

On the fourth play, it's a pass play and he is protecting the passer who must stand in the pocket, and there are no issues.

https://media.giphy.com/media/4W1VHzreSJL9jfC5sJ/giphy.gif

Now, you can compare that to this guy and tell me who is first round talent. Who looks like guard playing out of position. #73.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1BhG1Vf0EVlgUU7We6/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/jwZ8dMWPM4DfmIFTIA/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/Wy5cDGXSNPvC39777W/giphy.gif

Last edited:
You can see he flipped his hips and turned, and protected the inside. He is not kicking up to protect the passer. It's a scheme thing.

Thank you, this statement reveals so much of what you don't understand about line play.

It has been fun, but like your last thread I will make a polite exit.

Way back in the past, back before CK bought his first sweater vest... back at World Cossing and the Miami Herald forums... ok fine, I'm old.

I used to buy Kiper's yearly draft guides; well... until I realized he was almost always wrong. 'Ol Mel was always wrong because he rated his players mostly on workouts.

There was the year that he proclaimed Andre Ware to be the second coming... and he always ALWAYS overvalued the in-shorts workout. He'd ignore strength of competition and tended to fall in love with guys who finally blossomed in their senior year, reasoning that they'd finally put it all together.

Mel was a tool.

I'd almost forgotten all of this until I saw these rankings.

Back
Top Bottom