Take This With A H. U. G. E. Grain Of Salt: Jim Harbaugh To Miami When He Returns To Nfl | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Take This With A H. U. G. E. Grain Of Salt: Jim Harbaugh To Miami When He Returns To Nfl

Do you think he would make a good HC for the team?

• Yes

Votes: 94 81.7%
  • No

Votes: 21 18.3%

• Total voters
If he brought Vic Fangio with him as DC, I'd be for it...Fangio has been one of my favorite DCs since his days in San Fran...who I also believe Gase wanted instead of Burke...I mean he walked away from the San Fran job because they wouldn't let him keep Fangio

I'm only posting to point out my sig - that's been this message since the early weeks of the season - and to post what's become my standing argument on the topic of Dolphins football (which Harbaugh could totally implement):

"I believe now more than ever that a tough, physical style of football, particularly in running the ball with a 21-personnel look using a fullback on many running plays, would catch much of the league flat-footed. So many defenses have switched to light LBs and upfield pass rushing-first linemen that a truly big, physical offensive line that stresses (and coaches) a run-first mentality could really clean house.

"As for the solution, it's right in my sig and what I've been saying for the past two years: Hire Tom Gamble, one of the greatest draft evaluators of all time, as GM (clear everyone else out, including Tannenbaum); hire Jim Harbaugh and let him build an all-star coaching staff that focuses on running the football with run-first, powerhouse offensive linemen* and stopping the run by switching Miami to the 4-3 Under similar to what Seattle runs.

"You can also clear more than half our salary cap space by cutting players that have virtually no impact on this team winning games in 2019: Robert Quinn, Andre Branch, Cameron Wake (sorry), Ju'Wuan James, TJ McDonald and Ryan Tannehill (I'm finally ready to let it go). With just those moves and a few more, you save over 50 million in cap space and would have approximately 70+ million free for next year.

"* Hire the best offensive line coach you can find, even if you have to pay more to steal one from another team. Dante Scarnecchia is proof that good o-line coaches can deliver top-shelf units year in and year out - even through injuries and free agency departures. In fact, in my opinion, no other member of the assistant coaching staff is more important, including both coordinators! Get a great one with an established track record at building strong run-blocking lines: Russ Grimm, Tom Cable, Bill Callahan, Mike Munchak, Mike Tice, etc. Start with one of those. In fact, find out if Scarnecchia has got a prized pupil on his staff and back up the Brinks truck!"

"You can also clear more than half our salary cap space by cutting players that have virtually no impact on this team winning games in 2019: Robert Quinn, Andre Branch, Cameron Wake (sorry), Ju'Wuan James, TJ McDonald and Ryan Tannehill (I'm finally ready to let it go). With just those moves and a few more, you save over 50 million in cap space and would have approximately 70+ million free for next year.
I don't necessarily agree with cutting all those players. This is one of the most popular things on this board, cutting players to create salary cap room. But then, what are you going to do with no players and all that cap room? I don't believe you will find adequate replacements for all of them.

Harbaugh would be like a 3 year rental. He wears out his welcome everywhere he goes. Michigan isn't exactly happy with his product on the field either. He's a decent coach but i wouldn't be too excited
He stayed exactly 4 years everywhere he's been. If we make the playoffs 3 times out of those 4, sign me up.

Saw this on the Dolphins Reddit page and followed the link. Again, take this with a HUGE grain of salt as there are better options out there for him as Carter lists in the video in the Tweet. But since the season is pretty much done I figured I would throw this out there for everyone to chew on.

Well done @DisturbedShifty thanks.

I have a lot of faith in Chris Carter's analysis. He is routinely sound in how he assesses situations, and undervalued among TV pundits, IMHO. Assuming his sources are correct, which is a complete leap of faith because sources have nothing to do with sound analysis, I agree with Carter. Harbaugh's primary concern when he went to San Francisco was to keep his family on the west coast and in their comfort zone. He was given carte blanche by the GM at the time, and was empowered to build the team in the image he envisioned. He eventually felt limited by Alex Smith, and switched to Kaepernick, and ultimately saw the limitations of Kaepernick and exited at the right time. He used his connection with Ross to move back to their alma mater, Michigan, avoiding that team's later-in-life cycle as key players like Patrick Willis sunsetted their careers and his veterans aged. Knowing when to leave is a very valuable skill.

Now, he is looking at the Michigan situation, and it is again looking like he's ready to end his stay. College football is more about recruiting than anything else, so the later-in-life cycle issues are nowhere near as important. But, now fully detatched from the west coast, he's looking at the football situations, and he's doing so with the realization of how both Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick eventually limited his ability to succeed. So, he's looking very closely at QB situations. Anyone with even half a mind would be interested in working with Aaron Rodgers, an all-time great QB with a fair amount of prime years left … in fact, more years than Harbaugh tends to stay at a team anyway. Looking at young QB's, Baker Mayfield is one of the best young QB's, with the attitude and wheels that Harbaugh adores as well as a very accurate passing ability, good vision, and quick release. For what Harbaugh does, Mayfield would be a fantastic fit.

Those two situations lend themselves to Harbaugh being able to implement his system and impose his will in every facet of the organization. The Packers do not have one owner they have to please, and the fans who own them are likely to sympathize more with Harbaugh than any GM, so he will get his way there. In Cleveland they are so starved for success, and their owner having endured so much controversy he is likely to be far more compliant to Harbaugh's will. While nobody wants to be in the division with the Steelers and Ravens, not to mention a talented Bengals team, Harbaugh sees that division as one of all outdoor stadiums in cold weather that are tailor made for smashmouth football against defenses built to rush the passer and less-equipped to stand up to smashmouth football for 4 quarters. From a playing style, they make sense. And, Cleveland has stockpiled young talent on both sides of the ball and still has good draft resources.

By contrast, Miami is a land of distractions, from sun and fun with relaxed atmospheres to warm weather that draws out wives and girlfriends outside almost every day to a night life that is intense and very leisure-focused. Not a community with a lunch-pail culture. Not very conducive to Harbaugh's nothing-but-the-grind mentality. Sure, he made it work in San Fran, with some of those same distractions … but South Beach is a different animal, and he has seen many young players get derailed by it every year. Also, our QB isn't young any more, and while he runs, he has missed much of two seasons with a poorly handled knee injury … not really what you want to base your running QB offense around. Our OL is perpetually plagued, and that's the rock upon which the cult of Harbaugh is built.

In the end, I don't think Miami will be Harbaugh's preferred destination. And these days, he will have his pick of landing spots, so I anticipate he will choose somewhere else if he chooses to leave Michigan.

I'm only posting to point out my sig - that's been this message since the early weeks of the season - and to post what's become my standing argument on the topic of Dolphins football (which Harbaugh could totally implement):

"I believe now more than ever that a tough, physical style of football, particularly in running the ball with a 21-personnel look using a fullback on many running plays, would catch much of the league flat-footed. So many defenses have switched to light LBs and upfield pass rushing-first linemen that a truly big, physical offensive line that stresses (and coaches) a run-first mentality could really clean house.

"As for the solution, it's right in my sig and what I've been saying for the past two years: Hire Tom Gamble, one of the greatest draft evaluators of all time, as GM (clear everyone else out, including Tannenbaum); hire Jim Harbaugh and let him build an all-star coaching staff that focuses on running the football with run-first, powerhouse offensive linemen* and stopping the run by switching Miami to the 4-3 Under similar to what Seattle runs.

"* Hire the best offensive line coach you can find, even if you have to pay more to steal one from another team. Dante Scarnecchia is proof that good o-line coaches can deliver top-shelf units year in and year out - even through injuries and free agency departures. In fact, in my opinion, no other member of the assistant coaching staff is more important, including both coordinators! Get a great one with an established track record at building strong run-blocking lines: Russ Grimm, Tom Cable, Bill Callahan, Mike Munchak, Mike Tice, etc. Start with one of those. In fact, find out if Scarnecchia has got a prized pupil on his staff and back up the Brinks truck!"

I’ve wanted to hire Gamble for half a decade now.

I'd take John over Jim

The drama we'd have with a Jim Harbaugh and his head swollen ego isn't worth it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 49ers Getting Rid Of Jim Harbaugh Had Nothing To Do With Football

Dec. 29, 2014, 10:12 AM

The 49ers tried and failed to trade Harbaugh to the Cleveland Browns last winter. Since then, there has been a pretty steady stream of "Harbaugh hates the front office" stories, including one last spring that said Harbaugh and Baalke weren't even on speaking terms.

Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman called Harbaugh's fights with the front office "extensive and nasty." SI's Peter King wrote that Harbaugh was "increasingly difficult to get along with," and he quoted a source who said one of the sides was "leaking stuff" to hurt the other.

Harbaugh's contract would have been up after next season, meaning he would have been a lame duck in 2015. There's also a nugget from Freeman indicating Harbaugh was growing increasingly annoyed with his inability to control his players off the field:

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-49ers-got-rid-of-jim-harbaugh-2014-12

You want drama at the expense of winning keep wishing on Jim.

Last edited:
Jim Harbaugh is flat out trash

On what planet does Jim Harbaugh's coaching resume indicate that he is trash? Every single football team he has taken over as head coach, has immediately improved in drastic fashion.

He had one stint in the pros, and the 49ers went from basically the worst team in the NFL to immediately storming the NFC championship and going to the Super Bowl.

I don't even fathom how you can say this guy is a trash coach.

Oh good lordy. Just imagine JH would take a gig here and replaces tannehill with Kaepernick. FH heads would explode.
giphy.gif

:lol:

Oh good lordy. Just imagine JH would take a gig here and replaces tannehill with Kaepernick. FH heads would explode.
giphy.gif

:lol:

As long as they stop having a boring offense I would be happy.

I think people are underrating how good Harbaugh actually is. 25 games over .500 and a +375 point differential over 4 seasons

Gase has been out scored by over 180 points in almost three seasons. This would be a no brainer.

Last edited:
I think Harbaugh is sort of a tool. Also, the 49ers were not really the worst team before he took over. They were in that mid-range over those last couple years ranging from 6-8 wins. They also had some darn good personnel men in the front office. Scot McCloughan followed by the 2011 Executive of the year in Baalke.

They were also struggling to develop a young QB in Alex Smith when they were led by two defensive coaches in Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary but they had some talent....especially on defense.

Crabtree, Iupati, Joe Staley, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes, Dashon Goldson, NaVorrow Boldman...

I'm not saying he is trash but I wouldn't want him (or his khakis) as the face of the franchise.

On what planet does Jim Harbaugh's coaching resume indicate that he is trash? Every single football team he has taken over as head coach, has immediately improved in drastic fashion.

He had one stint in the pros, and the 49ers went from basically the worst team in the NFL to immediately storming the NFC championship and going to the Super Bowl.

I don't even fathom how you can say this guy is a trash coach.

Yeah he was good in San Fran but that was 6 years ago. 2 bowls wins in 7 years. Lost the super bowl. Flat out bust at Michigan. Can't beat Ohio State even one time???? Are you calling for Ubran Meyer to be our coach too? Because he is sooooo much better than Jim Harbaugh it's not even funny!

An Ohio State guy floating a rumor that a Michigan coach is leaving while the final push for recruits is on??? This is like the annual Saban leaving Bama routine. Harbaugh’s not leaving Michigan anytime soon.

Why would Harbaugh leave Michigan now that Urban is going to retire? He might actually have a chance to beat the Buckeyes now. Probably not.

Back
Top Bottom