"taking Our Lumps In 2019". | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"taking Our Lumps In 2019".

claytonduper

Starter
Reaction score
I've heard this comment from many different sources and many different threads to explain our expected 2019 season. What does this really mean? What will be an acceptable "tanking in 2019"?

• Does it mean we will lose every game?
    • If so, what if we lost all or most of games by double digit blowouts?
    • What if we lost all or most games by less than 3 points?
  • Does it mean we are competitive in every game?
  • Does it mean our players will make both physical and mental mistakes but those will improve as the season goes on?
  • We give full effort but struggle in areas? Failure to complete drives?
  • Make good adjustments at half time; call time outs appropriately?
  • other?
How do we assess our coaches, players and game plan if we lose most of our games? I'm certain many will call "blowing up the team again". If our goal is a calculated regression to get younger and eliminate those bad contracts, how to evaluate this team in 2019?

Good questions.

I'm not sure there is a right answer, because everyone has an opinion of what it really means and its a grey area. Here's my thoughts.

No, to me the purpose of tanking is to get a top draft pick, ideally THE top draft pick, #1 overall, to draft our cornerstone franchise QB. To do that we're going to lose a lot of games. But, seldom does a team with the top pick not win any games, so I'm aiming for somewhere between 1 and 3 wins ideally, with 4 probably putting us within striking range of the top 3, which is where we need to be to get our QB.

How we lose? Well, I'm prepared for cringe-worthy, but I'm hoping for not eating a lot of forty-burgers or 3 TD losses, but I know they're coming. It's hard to accept being bad, but to tank, we need to be bad, so I'm not really focusing on scores and margins of loss, just the big picture of how we are setting up (both in the draft and through player development) for an ascendant 2020. Competitive every game or losing most games by less than 3 points really isn't realistic if we're tanking. That margin for error probably means we win 5 or so games and completely mess up the whole tanking thing and waste the entire season. So, I'm braced for not being very competitive. Honestly, I've had lots of practice being a Dolphins fan, it'll just be in more concentrated doses this year.

Struggling is OK, I'm not looking at us as a whole, I'm looking at us as a collection of individuals. I'm hoping we show improved fundamentals. I'm looking for individual improvement as the season progresses. I'm looking for the few good players who will be with us for the long haul.

Honestly, I'm expecting the coaching staff to tank, that means they're going to actively make sure we do not win close games. They can't admit it, but wasting time outs early and not having them when you need them for a comeback seems like a reasonable way to reduce your chances of winning a close game. We're not going to tank if we're effective on 3rd down and in the red zone. I'm not looking for coaches to make great adjustments … because the talent level is too close in the NFL, if they do that, we'll win a few and mess up the entire tanking.

It's going to be painful, no doubt. But there is a process. We NEED a cornerstone franchise QB. We haven't had one since Marino. We've tried drafting them in the 2nd round (Chad Henne, Pat White, John Beck), we've tried drafting them later (please don't make me list these names … it's painful). The last time we screwed up tanking we missed out on Andrew Luck and took the #3 QB with the 8th overall pick … Ryan Tannehill. This time, I want the best prospect.

Looking at recent drafts it's ugly. The Eagles traded a LOT to move up and get Carson Wentz. The Rams traded away a LOT to go get Jared Goff. The Bears traded away a LOT to secure Mitchell Trubisky. Look at the last decent QB draft, Baker Mayfield shot up the charts from being considered a 2nd round pick at this point of the offseason to the #1 overall pick, and a good one. Sam Darnold went high, Josh Allen went high, and even Josh Rosen went fairly high … and this was in a year that had 4 legitimate QB candidates, 5 if you include Lamar Jackson (different type of QB). So, who knows where Kyler Murray will end up this year, and if he even plays football, and if he can stay healthy at his size and playstyle.

So I understand and approve of tanking … we need to tear this down so we can build it back with a strong foundation. Yes, it's going to hurt … a lot.

Last edited:
No way we'll tank purposely, i think we win 5 or 6 with a competent QB, with a bum we win 3 or 4

The highlight will be final game when Miami and Arizona are both 0-15 and Miami has tiebreaker for Tua.

Arizona loses final game and is clearly moving on from Rosen and won't be trading Tua pick if Miami wins.

Miami trails by 2 and lines up for 50 yard FG attempt, 1 second left...

Want them to make it or miss?

Good questions.

I'm not sure there is a right answer, because everyone has an opinion of what it really means and its a grey area. Here's my thoughts.

No, to me the purpose of tanking is to get a top draft pick, ideally THE top draft pick, #1 overall, to draft our cornerstone franchise QB. To do that we're going to lose a lot of games. But, seldom does a team with the top pick not win any games, so I'm aiming for somewhere between 1 and 3 wins ideally, with 4 probably putting us within striking range of the top 3, which is where we need to be to get our QB.

How we lose? Well, I'm prepared for cringe-worthy, but I'm hoping for not eating a lot of forty-burgers or 3 TD losses, but I know they're coming. It's hard to accept being bad, but to tank, we need to be bad, so I'm not really focusing on scores and margins of loss, just the big picture of how we are setting up (both in the draft and through player development) for an ascendant 2020. Competitive every game or losing most games by less than 3 points really isn't realistic if we're tanking. That margin for error probably means we win 5 or so games and completely mess up the whole tanking thing and waste the entire season. So, I'm braced for not being very competitive. Honestly, I've had lots of practice being a Dolphins fan, it'll just be in more concentrated doses this year.

Struggling is OK, I'm not looking at us as a whole, I'm looking at us as a collection of individuals. I'm hoping we show improved fundamentals. I'm looking for individual improvement as the season progresses. I'm looking for the few good players who will be with us for the long haul.

Honestly, I'm expecting the coaching staff to tank, that means they're going to actively make sure we do not win close games. They can't admit it, but wasting time outs early and not having them when you need them for a comeback seems like a reasonable way to reduce your chances of winning a close game. We're not going to tank if we're effective on 3rd down and in the red zone. I'm not looking for coaches to make great adjustments … because the talent level is too close in the NFL, if they do that, we'll win a few and mess up the entire tanking.

It's going to be painful, no doubt. But there is a process. We NEED a cornerstone franchise QB. We haven't had one since Marino. We've tried drafting them in the 2nd round (Chad Henne, Pat White, John Beck), we've tried drafting them later (please don't make me list these names … it's painful). The last time we screwed up tanking we missed out on Andrew Luck and took the #3 QB with the 8th overall pick … Ryan Tannehill. This time, I want the best prospect.

Looking at recent drafts it's ugly. The Eagles traded a LOT to move up and get Carson Wentz. The Rams traded away a LOT to go get Jared Goff. The Bears traded away a LOT to secure Mitchell Trubisky. Look at the last decent QB draft, Baker Mayfield shot up the charts from being considered a 2nd round pick at this point of the offseason to the #1 overall pick, and a good one. Sam Darnold went high, Josh Allen went high, and even Josh Rosen went fairly high … and this was in a year that had 4 legitimate QB candidates, 5 if you include Lamar Jackson (different type of QB). So, who knows where Kyler Murray will end up this year, and if he even plays football, and if he can stay healthy at his size and playstyle.

So I understand and approve of tanking … we need to tear this down so we can build it back with a strong foundation. Yes, it's going to hurt … a lot.

Ummm, are you saying you want no QB unless Miami takes the 1st one? Who decides the "best prospect?"

Ummm, are you saying you want no QB unless Miami takes the 1st one? Who decides the "best prospect?"
Neither of us are drafting for the Dolphins. Yeah, I'm saying I have no faith in the Dolphins drafting QB prospects that aren't generally considered elite prospects. My rationale … we have had zero good QB's who were not elite prospects. The only great QB's we've had were Bob Griese (top end of the 1st round when he came out) and Marino, who should have been one of the top 2 picks except for a last-minute rumor that derailed his draft stock in an era when not everyone had great information about prospects. The rest of our drafted QB's have not been top QB's.

It isn't realistic to have the season we are dreaming about unless your point differential is -175 or worse, and preferably -200+.

So do the math on that

I've heard this comment from many different sources and many different threads to explain our expected 2019 season. What does this really mean? What will be an acceptable "tanking in 2019"?

• Does it mean we will lose every game?
    • If so, what if we lost all or most of games by double digit blowouts?
    • What if we lost all or most games by less than 3 points?
  • Does it mean we are competitive in every game?
  • Does it mean our players will make both physical and mental mistakes but those will improve as the season goes on?
  • We give full effort but struggle in areas? Failure to complete drives?
  • Make good adjustments at half time; call time outs appropriately?
  • other?
How do we assess our coaches, players and game plan if we lose most of our games? I'm certain many will call "blowing up the team again". If our goal is a calculated regression to get younger and eliminate those bad contracts, how to evaluate this team in 2019?
We’re a perennial 6-10, 7-9 team and that’s by trying as hard as we can to win. Even if we don’t try to win, not even trying to lose, we’ll accomplish our goal of getting a top 3 pick in 2020. So the team doesn’t have to try to tank, just not try to win as much as we have and bam, missing accomplishment

I think 3-6 wins keeps up in the running to trade up if we identify that one player. Hopefully, we have 2-3 quality QB's to choose from.

I don't think any player or coach will play or coach to lose in any way. If we start a qb like Osweiler or Falk, etc. then obviously we will finish very badly.

Otherwise, we have a lot of good young players who should make major improvements with a season's experience behind them. And people keep talking about cutting several veteran players like that would crush the team. I'm sorry, but losing guys like Branch, Quinn, Amendola and even Wake and Kiko will not be a big loss and it may even be a plus by replacing them with younger, hungrier guys.

So, with several good young players with some experience to build on, hopefully a good draft to add even more talent and most of all the presence of what should be a much, much better coaching staff that actually knows what they're doing, I don't expect this team to suck at all next season. Unless, as I said earlier, we trot out Osweiler or someone similar as the starter. In which case, we're screwed.

The highlight will be final game when Miami and Arizona are both 0-15 and Miami has tiebreaker for Tua.

Arizona loses final game and is clearly moving on from Rosen and won't be trading Tua pick if Miami wins.

Miami trails by 2 and lines up for 50 yard FG attempt, 1 second left...

Want them to make it or miss?

I can endure 4 to 5 embarrassing months before the draft if it gives us the best chance to end 45 years of not winning anything.

Take a knee Flores . . . .we’ll understand my dude.

IMO tanking is only possible in the minds of the fans. The organization may restructure the roster with less talent, but for the coaches and players, there's too much on the line. Things like contracts, jobs, stats, reputation, and legacy are more important to those individuals. In the NFL you have a very finite window of opportunity to get what's yours. You aren't going to take a knee to the good of an organization that you may not even be a part of to reap the benefits, all while risking your career and payday.

Come GameDay, these coaches and players are going to do everything they can to win.

The most important position is the QB position. Faulk, Fales, or Rudock will start this year, perhaps some middle round draft pick. Also, all those holes Miami's been patching with flex tape and rustOleum are about to bust loose. Get rid of the high dollar FA's, cut, trade preferably, get the team as young and inexperienced as is reasonable. Save a ton of money, aquire compensation in draft picks.

Back
Top Bottom