"taking Our Lumps In 2019". | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"taking Our Lumps In 2019".

I looked at a list of rd1 QB picks since 2000. "Elite" (i realize that term is subjective) QBs are not a common occurrence, even for top 10 picks. That is not in dispute.

Having said that, I believe many fail because of the fact that they generally go to historically bad teams.

Taking a top QB is inherently risky, and if you can't field some semblance of a competent team around him, you are dooming him, and the team to failure.

You can't rely on a 20 yr old to be superman, lifting an entire franchise from the depths of dispair singlehandedly.

That is why I think it is not only prudent, but necessary, to address the line play on both sides of the ball thus draft, rather than going all in on a questionable QB this year.

I can agree. You know, however, some will find that blasphemous. "if you can't field some semblance of a competent team around him, you are dooming him" is the same as 'a QB (ANY QB) needs good players around him.' I have no real evidence, but I know of no high R1 QB drafted by a poor team who eventually went to a good team and blossomed into elite.

Looking at the picks since 2000, it's obvious 'elite' is VERY rare. Those ranked as top 10 are in a significant minority. Given that, I can't think of any 'failed' top 10 QB who I watched and thought, 'you know, he's good. He should be on a top team.'

As I've said a few (too many?) times already, I don't mind taking a risk on a QB - a CALCULATED risk. I don't want to get a QB and have no draft picks the next two years to get him support. Nor do I want to give up future draft picks, realize this year's rookie QB is NOT elite (most likely), and have no ammo to move on til 2040. I agree on building the trenches. I'd like this rebuild to place some emphasis on OL. Personally, I'd keep Tunsil, Sitton one more year, and either Kilgore or Swanson. Finding 4 average or above OLmen is tough and I don't want to be building an OL the same year ('20) I get a rookie QB.

Finally, there are too few of us who recognize the risk. Go back to that list and remember, all of them were 'get a top QB and get to the playoffs.'

the 2 best qb in nfl history to me is Joe Montana 3 rd draft pick and Tom Brady 6 rd draft pick
this is just me I think we should draft WVA QB Grier in 2nd rd. start him this yr. and see how it goes. he score 50 time last yr. I think he can light score board up as well w wr we have, if not draft another qb in 2020 or 21 or draft murry

We arent going to tank this year. Flores comes from a dynasty with a winning mentality. Tom Brady is a shiney example of a systematic QB who wins games.
We all know his story too well.

That coaching staff hopefully has instilled that same vision into Brian Flored. He wont come here to lose any games.

Franchise QBs can be found in any round, there are too many examples to list.

Is the Superbowl in Miami next year?

the 2 best qb in nfl history to me is Joe Montana 3 rd draft pick and Tom Brady 6 rd draft pick
this is just me I think we should draft WVA QB Grier in 2nd rd. start him this yr. and see how it goes. he score 50 time last yr. I think he can light score board up as well w wr we have, if not draft another qb in 2020 or 21 or draft murry
Isn't Grier's arm strength very questionable? I've read a couple scouting reports that say its an issue that severely limits his ceiling?

I'm not sure how accurate, but "anonymous" GMs have said Murray is a day 2 prospect, as well.

I happen to agree on both points.

Isn't Grier's arm strength very questionable? I've read a couple scouting reports that say its an issue that severely limits his ceiling?

I'm not sure how accurate, but "anonymous" GMs have said Murray is a day 2 prospect, as well.

I happen to agree on both points.
one thing I like about Grier in college. he played big time football. he kept team in game. when they were behind.
arm strength does mean that much. joe Montana didn't have that much arm strength. Murry,Tua got credit but Grier was just as good as them. Tua, Murry were on better team than Grier as well. if u can throw 40 to 50 td in college you should be starting qb on somebody NFL team. 40% of nfl starting qb are terrible in nfl. they will never win SB.

Last edited:
one thing I like about Grier in college. he played big time football. he kept team in game. when they were behind.
arm strength does mean that much. joe Montana didn't have that much arm strength.
Joe was the GOAT IMO, but no, he didn't have a canon.

Montana, and Brady are two guys, out of, literally, hundreds.

Using that mentality, we could draft 3 prospects a year, and never hit in our lifetimes.

Vegas loves that kind of rationale.

I admit, you can't win the lottery, if you don't buy a ticket, but if someone's plan is to draft Joe, or Tom in late rounds, that's not what I consider realistic.

Joe was the GOAT IMO, but no, he didn't have a canon.

Montana, and Brady are two guys, out of, literally, hundreds.

Using that mentality, we could draft 3 prospects a year, and never hit in our lifetimes.

Vegas loves that kind of rationale.

I admit, you can't win the lottery, if you don't buy a ticket, but if someone's plan is to draft Joe, or Tom in late rounds, that's not what I consider realistic.
It can happen but it don't happen that much any more. once team draft 1st rd qb. they give him thill17 rule of treatment
you have to have a good team in place for it to happen for example big Ben join steelers in 2004 w SB. 2002 Brady help good N.E team w SB.

It can happen but it don't happen that much any more. once team draft 1st rd qb. they give him thill17 rule of treatment
you have to have a good team in place for it to happen for example big Ben join steelers in 2004 w SB. 2002 Brady help good N.E team w SB.
True, but bear in mind, neither Ben, nor Brady was asked to do much other than not turn the ball over on those teams.

True, but bear in mind, neither Ben, nor Brady was asked to do much other than not turn the ball over on those teams.
we will see what happen next month. dolphins can only blame dolphins for not drafting a qb last 3 yr. they let 4 good qb go by.

we will see what happen next month. dolphins can only blame dolphins for not drafting a qb last 3 yr. they let 4 good qb go by.
I can't argue the fact that past shortsightedness is partly to blame for our current state.

Unfortunately, that goes far deeper than the QB position.

I can't argue the fact that past shortsightedness is partly to blame for our current state.

Unfortunately, that goes far deeper than the QB position.
yes if u thinking SB, but no if u thinking make playoff.

we just haven't had good qb in 19yr. to push us into next level off play. our offense have not been good since Marino day, our defense used be good now they play like offense sometime good sometime bad. the coachs we are bring in is not trying tank to me..

I'm somewhere in the middle.

We are in no position to even bring up SB. Any non biased football aficionados would laugh, and rightly so.

I want a team with a realistic chance of consistent playoff runs.

Half the teams that "make the playoffs" have very little chance of a championship.

I'll take a step above those teams please.

I'm somewhere in the middle.

We are in no position to even bring up SB. Any non biased football aficionados would laugh, and rightly so.

I want a team with a realistic chance of consistent playoff runs.

Half the teams that "make the playoffs" have very little chance of a championship.

I'll take a step above those teams please.
1.u have to understand it up to N.E right now they are boss of afc east. how long are they going be good. and afc
2. afc south is on rise too.
3. afc central
4. k,c and lac

I don't understand all the panic about tanking. Miami wasn't very good last year - probably should have won 2-3 fewer than they did. What, exactly, from that below-average team are we going to "lose" in the offseason, versus gaining, to make us unwatchable? There are very good, young components to the defense, which hopefully will be far better schemed. The offense was hard to watch - and hard to imagine getting any worse. The message I'm getting is they are going to resist from signing high-priced free agents...so boo hoo people! When has that worked out for us? Going to miss all that excitement Julias Thomas brought to the franchise? How about those broken down OL who don't last 3 games in a row? Going to miss that? I think the methodology they're putting in place may, in fact, make the team a lot better instantly, even if the wins don't pile up for a couple of years. I just don't get the pessimism, because frankly, we are super close to rock bottom already. The record was extremely misleading, as bad as it was.

Back
Top Bottom