Taking our team for granted! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Taking our team for granted!

Canadianfishfan

FinHeavean VIP
Reaction score
We are fans of the Miami Dolphins. One of the most storied franchises in SPORTS history. Mired in the middle of our first losing season since the late '80's.
Have we been spoiled. Shula.. hall of fame coach.. Did Jimmy Johnson really have a chance under such a tall shadow and glaring scruitiny? Damon Huard, Jay Fiedler... Now I know neither one could've satisfied the appetite for perfection that Marino left. The perfect season of the '72 phins is now becoming a freak sideshow..that has little relevance as the game and its players have changed so drastically that comprisons seems jovial.
We hang our hats on the past. Players and coaches long gone.. and soon to be enshrined.
We mighty Phin fans have been spoiled beyond comprehension. Every franchise in the NFL would love to have the past records and history that we have. Our first losing season in what...15yrs? I believe most Super bowl winners in the past 15yrs has had a losing record over the same span. But not the Dolphins. Until now.
A 9, 10, or 11 win season would be considered successful for most. But not for us. We've lost touch. Maybe we've lost touch of what being a real fan is. Its not if you like a player or not. Im not going to tell Fiedler that licks he's taking are chump change.. Im not going to tell Booker that his ankle is expendible. Im not going to tell any player that they have no heart.. and that they should just accept losing.. for what ever reason.
No I am a TRUE fan. I am going to support my team. No matter how much it hurts... How frustrated i get. And judging by the myriad of comments on this message board there are alot of other passionate Phin fans too. We arent going to the playoffs. That is for certain... we have a offseason of upheaval approaching. And there might not be a quick solution. Saban may not get the job done... or Weiss.. or Spurrier... Nothing is certain.
This brings meto the fans of the Cardinals.. the fans of the Browns, the Chargers...the Bengals. They're fans are there.. diehard... with the opposite history of ours. More losing that winning. Now I am jealous. Not of the franchise. But of the fans. That every losing year, supporting their team. Through every heartbreaking loss. Every INT, every fumble, bumble, and national humiliation.
It's fans like those that i love meeting when i see my beloved Phins in Buffalo, in Oakland.. in New York, and yes in Miami. To Travel and see the passion fans have for their franchinse in all turmoil.. and in all glory... but when you get through that turnstile, and you sit down with a few pints in december to watch the Phins play in Buffalo.. Ice on the field and in the stands. Then you realize the passion of fans. there.. in the cold.. freezing.. frostbitten. but you stay.. I always stay to the bitter end. Always.
Im jealous of those fans. Because through anything the are fans... and they stand by their team.
No we don't known how to lose gracefully. Tearing a strip off any player that doesn't make a pro bowl preformance. Maybe we'll never get used to it. But as fans we should act as gracious as when we are piling up winning records. As humble as the visitors to our message board.. fans from Buffalo..Cincinnati, and Arizona have been classy. Hats off you you guys. Thanks for being true football fans. I for one am learning how to be a better fan. Theres alot of disappointment on this message board.. and I truly enjoy the diversity of opinion. I enjoy the passion of talking football. Miami football. But Im disappointed that we fans are tearing a strip off each other. Insullting each other. We are losing together Brothers. And the future looks bleak. But I believe in a underappreciated motto... United we stand... divided we fall.!

jimmy was doing ok, but he quit. he still, all the way to today, gets credit for our defense. he may have been crazy and made some big errors, but i believed he bled for football and ate it and drank it and slept it and fought for it and would be willing to do any and and all to win. not to mention he would cut a player in the blink of an eye if they sucked.

as for how to be Fan, this is a unique location on earth. this will never be cleveland or DC. it will never be philly or dallas. south florida defines transition always. no one is from here (except me). people come here to die or to party and thats it. stop asking the south florida sports fan to be like any other fan because it will never happen. the only thing you can do to get us happy is just win baby. so get on that strategy and stop trying to manipulate us because we dont care if you have feelings. we are missing out on sunshine and surf and a billion other things to watch football so get it right or get out of the way.

A/C Dorsal said:
jimmy was doing ok, but he quit. he still, all the way to today, gets credit for our defense. he may have been crazy and made some big errors, but i believed he bled for football and ate it and drank it and slept it and fought for it and would be willing to do any and and all to win. not to mention he would cut a player in the blink of an eye if they sucked.

as for how to be Fan, this is a unique location on earth. this will never be cleveland or DC. it will never be philly or dallas. south florida defines transition always. no one is from here (except me). people come here to die or to party and thats it. stop asking the south florida sports fan to be like any other fan because it will never happen. the only thing you can do to get us happy is just win baby. so get on that strategy and stop trying to manipulate us because we dont care if you have feelings. we are missing out on sunshine and surf and a billion other things to watch football so get it right or get out of the way.
You've missed the point. Getting down on me doesnt give us a win man.

Canadianfishfan said:
We mighty Phin fans have been spoiled beyond comprehension. Every franchise in the NFL would love to have the past records and history that we have. Our first losing season in what...15yrs? I believe most Super bowl winners in the past 15yrs has had a losing record over the same span. But not the Dolphins. Until now.
I agree with most of your post but the frustrating part of this years team was that the handwriting was already on the wall !!!!
D Wannstedt should have been fired after the N England game last December. Hueizenga decided to give Wannstedt a contract extension and promote R Spielman to GM... Both of these moves have gotten this team to where it is today,,,, 1-8 !!!
This season imo could and SHOULD of have been a transition to a new direction and philosophy with a new h-c and f-o staff ! Now after winning only 1 game in the first half and maybe the entire season,, are the Wanny being FIRED rumors a real possibility.... :rolleyes2

Marino1983

its not you, its the idea

i have no problem with you unless you work for the phins. but i hear this other places, on radio and TV. as if you could ask the fans to be different. you cant. we are this way, this is how it is. dont waste time talking to us, turn around and talk to the phins owner and admin because thats where change can come from. let the losing continue and JRS will be a dust bowl for skateboarding competitions.

congrats to all the fans who said we would suck before our first snap

i for one had hope up until the jets monday night game

hope for this year is gone but passion has not gone away. i think we can be competitive next year, with a coach who will keep everyone at there same position for the entire pre-season, a coach who can coach an oline or hire a guy who can. i still think we need a few plugs not a whole revamp of the team.

Zach is my guy, the only player i have a jersey for, yeah the guy still wants the team out there who gives the best chance to win, he needs to realize that the guys out there now havent won so why not change a bit

i still have my fins calendar at my desk for all the giants fans in my office to laugh at when they pass me. A f-in team that cant put together a few years of consistnet winning football. I just tell them that they got that. im not a guy who throws the past at people, whats the past done for us lately

i havent taken them for granted, anybody with a brain must realize that you cant win EVERY year, its just tough when you think you will be good/competitive and your not. i think we coulda been good if we had some coaches who knew how to do there job. WE are bitter b/c we thought we would be good, were not bitter only b/c we suck. Our expectations were there and they fell with each passing week. Fans of other teams, who i admire to for sticking thru it, are used to not being competive and find other reasons to root for there teams

i think its tougher to be a dolphin fan than a cardinals fan cause our expectations are always there and nothin happens. we know what disappointment is every year, do they know what disappontiment is?

Marino1983 said:
I agree with most of your post but the frustrating part of this years team was that the handwriting was already on the wall !!!!
D Wannstedt should have been fired after the N England game last December. Hueizenga decided to give Wannstedt a contract extension and promote R Spielman to GM... Both of these moves have gotten this team to where it is today,,,, 1-8 !!!
This season imo could and SHOULD of have been a transition to a new direction and philosophy with a new h-c and f-o staff ! Now after winning only 1 game in the first half and maybe the entire season,, are the Wanny being FIRED rumors a real possibility.... :rolleyes2

Marino1983
I agree... i was livid to hear that wanny was retained. Im upset I didnt wake up this morning and hes still here.

Back
Top Bottom