Talent Needs & Solutions? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Talent Needs & Solutions?

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Here are the major needs (potential and essential):

Offense:
WR - Forget trying to defend Chambers as a legit #1 WR. Despite the statistical breakdown in another post - the problem it did not capture was his inability to get significant separation. Maybe it's coaching; scheme; route running. But, he struggles to break free and is not as fast as he used to be. I think we need a speedster and a game breaker here, desperately so.

LT - McIntosh is a free agent and played well late. He may be the top LT on the market. I don't want to over pay for him. So, we'll see. But, LT may be a position we have to fill - even if he comes back we may want to.

OG - we do have three OG's who were injured, though two may not be here anymore (McKinney & Anderson) and we have Shelton who may turn out to be a solid player there. And, there is Toledo and Fonoti - either of whom could be competitive. Nevertheless, the interior of the OL is soft and needs a tough player here.

TE - It's possible this may not be a need area. But, McMichael is unstable (on and off the field and in the locker room). He is too much baggage for too little production. If he were getting 90 catches and 10 TD's a year - that would be different - we'd tolerate some of his instability. He's not. I'd look for a better one at some point. A trade is a possibility.

Defense:
DE - With Carter's huge salary - he's likely gone, unless he wants to stay and renegotiate. Roth is very good, but the rotation really works well. You need to have 6-8 DL's who can rotate.

DT - Wilkinson is gone; Trailor is aging and can't go a full game for very long. Holliday is getting up there and had a good year - he's also a free agent. He will be tough to keep. We have a couple of young guys with potential (Evans; Vickerson), but are the ready to start? Very questionable.

OLB - We need another starter who can make big plays. This is the highest priority on the D, imo. A guy who can stop the run or rush the passer would be an important upgrade. Someone on the other side of JT who can compliment him. Grooming a young MLB would be useful as well.

CB/S - We need some more depth here and possibly another starter at CB. I would not want to spend a high draft pick on another defensive back. But, I'd look at free agency.

Solutions? Here's mine:

Look at free agency for all positions, depending on talent depth. But, especially at OLB (there are potentially 2/3 very good ones); LT; CB; and depth on the DL. If Asante Samuel (CB) is available and not franchised, I'd take a serious look at him. Also, if either Briggs or Adalius Thomas are available at OLB - I'd give serious consideration to them. Thomas is more of a pass rusher and gives you that flexibility; Briggs is a solid tackler, run stopper and would fit the position well. Getting a good OLB and CB would be a huge plus - though both are longshots.

In the draft - I'd look to offense in the higher rounds and hope to find a gem or two on D in the lower rounds. The positions I like are:
WR - Tedd Ginn, if he's available. He may be gone to Minnesota before we can get him. Though he's behind Calvin Johnson, this kid has game-breaking speed and great return instincts. He would be instantly a punt/KO returner and a deep threat at #3 spot. If he works hard, he has Steve Smith-like potential. I'd also go for another WR later on - even as early as 3rd/4th round - we need an influx of talent at some of these positions.
OG - 2nd round, imo. Take the best O-lineman available here. Usually, the top tackles are taken in round 1. A center might be good here as well if there is a top guy at the time - we could move Hadnot to OG. I'd also look to draft another lineman latter (4th or 6th round).
DL - 3rd round/4th round slot.

Of course, you are always looking for the best talent at each draft slot. But, if we can trade down effectively and there is a good player in the round at these positions - then go for that.

And, I think Meuller should be signed (I've said this many times before) to a new deal and he should run the draft - not Cameron.

Wow...I didn't know we were that bad to need all that...But you can't have the best of everything due to a little thing called money.

In Free-Agency I would target Asante Samuel for sure as the Patriots are likely to release him. The problem would be the big contract he would want. As for Adalius Thomas, the Baltimore Ravens have promised him that they will not franchise him. He is a possibility and a great fit in our system, but the 49’s have more cap space and a need at the same position. Briggs would cost even more than Thomas and would be less of a fit in our system. There is a Veteran Offensive Lineman I would target in Free Agency: Eric Steinbach (OG), he may be a realistic target.

As for the Draft

Round one- Levi Brown(LT)/ Tedd Ginn (WR)- This would either give us that LT or a speedy receiver.

Round two- Aaron Sears (LT)/ Ryan Kalil (C)/ Patrick Willis (LB)/ Brandon Siler (LB)- If we don’t take Brown in the first than Sears is a likely candidate in the second. Ryan Kalil is a very talented center and would anchor our line for the next decade. Willis and Siler are talented Linebackers that could probably start as rookies over Donnie Spragan.

Obviously its hard to predict such a thing but that’s just my two-cents.

In Free-Agency I would target Asante Samuel for sure as the Patriots are likely to release him. The problem would be the big contract he would want. As for Adalius Thomas, the Baltimore Ravens have promised him that they will not franchise him. He is a possibility and a great fit in our system, but the 49’s have more cap space and a need at the same position. Briggs would cost even more than Thomas and would be less of a fit in our system. There is a Veteran Offensive Lineman I would target in Free Agency: Eric Steinbach (OG), he may be a realistic target.

As for the Draft

Round one- Levi Brown(LT)/ Tedd Ginn (WR)- This would either give us that LT or a speedy receiver.

Round two- Aaron Sears (LT)/ Ryan Kalil (C)/ Patrick Willis (LB)/ Brandon Siler (LB)- If we don’t take Brown in the first than Sears is a likely candidate in the second. Ryan Kalil is a very talented center and would anchor our line for the next decade. Willis and Siler are talented Linebackers that could probably start as rookies over Donnie Spragan.

I absolutely agree with this post. WR is not deep in FA and must be addressed in the draft. CB/LB/OL all have potential to address in FA.

On the DT front, don't forget the Wright Bros as well. Along with Evans and Vickerson, we have a lot of talented young blood at the position and I would not waste a draft pick on it this year.
:dolphins:

Excellent post Da fins i believe you nailed it,i'll keep mine short,
Draft the X factor that is tedd ginn, our most glaring need is a playmaker on offense,he would be our reggie bush,the ability to line up anywhere on the field and take it to the house.

Sure up the outsidelinebacker position with a splash in free agency.

Sure up the oline with our other free agent,i figure we can afford two nice players,plus we have enough projects on our team.

In rounds 2 thru 7 i say we draft all defense to create young depth for our team.

Nice simple plan.

Here are the major needs (potential and essential):

Offense:
WR - Forget trying to defend Chambers as a legit #1 WR. Despite the statistical breakdown in another post - the problem it did not capture was his inability to get significant separation. Maybe it's coaching; scheme; route running. But, he struggles to break free and is not as fast as he used to be. I think we need a speedster and a game breaker here, desperately so.

LT - McIntosh is a free agent and played well late. He may be the top LT on the market. I don't want to over pay for him. So, we'll see. But, LT may be a position we have to fill - even if he comes back we may want to.

OG - we do have three OG's who were injured, though two may not be here anymore (McKinney & Anderson) and we have Shelton who may turn out to be a solid player there. And, there is Toledo and Fonoti - either of whom could be competitive. Nevertheless, the interior of the OL is soft and needs a tough player here.

TE - It's possible this may not be a need area. But, McMichael is unstable (on and off the field and in the locker room). He is too much baggage for too little production. If he were getting 90 catches and 10 TD's a year - that would be different - we'd tolerate some of his instability. He's not. I'd look for a better one at some point. A trade is a possibility.

Defense:
DE - With Carter's huge salary - he's likely gone, unless he wants to stay and renegotiate. Roth is very good, but the rotation really works well. You need to have 6-8 DL's who can rotate.

DT - Wilkinson is gone; Trailor is aging and can't go a full game for very long. Holliday is getting up there and had a good year - he's also a free agent. He will be tough to keep. We have a couple of young guys with potential (Evans; Vickerson), but are the ready to start? Very questionable.

OLB - We need another starter who can make big plays. This is the highest priority on the D, imo. A guy who can stop the run or rush the passer would be an important upgrade. Someone on the other side of JT who can compliment him. Grooming a young MLB would be useful as well.

CB/S - We need some more depth here and possibly another starter at CB. I would not want to spend a high draft pick on another defensive back. But, I'd look at free agency.

Solutions? Here's mine:

Look at free agency for all positions, depending on talent depth. But, especially at OLB (there are potentially 2/3 very good ones); LT; CB; and depth on the DL. If Asante Samuel (CB) is available and not franchised, I'd take a serious look at him. Also, if either Briggs or Adalius Thomas are available at OLB - I'd give serious consideration to them. Thomas is more of a pass rusher and gives you that flexibility; Briggs is a solid tackler, run stopper and would fit the position well. Getting a good OLB and CB would be a huge plus - though both are longshots.

In the draft - I'd look to offense in the higher rounds and hope to find a gem or two on D in the lower rounds. The positions I like are:
WR - Tedd Ginn, if he's available. He may be gone to Minnesota before we can get him. Though he's behind Calvin Johnson, this kid has game-breaking speed and great return instincts. He would be instantly a punt/KO returner and a deep threat at #3 spot. If he works hard, he has Steve Smith-like potential. I'd also go for another WR later on - even as early as 3rd/4th round - we need an influx of talent at some of these positions.
OG - 2nd round, imo. Take the best O-lineman available here. Usually, the top tackles are taken in round 1. A center might be good here as well if there is a top guy at the time - we could move Hadnot to OG. I'd also look to draft another lineman latter (4th or 6th round).
DL - 3rd round/4th round slot.

Of course, you are always looking for the best talent at each draft slot. But, if we can trade down effectively and there is a good player in the round at these positions - then go for that.

And, I think Meuller should be signed (I've said this many times before) to a new deal and he should run the draft - not Cameron.

Great post, I agree with most of it except the TE situation. I do agree with you about trading McMichael but if you expect your TE to only be good if he catches 90 balls you're dreaming. Tony Gonzalez only caught more than 90 balls and topped 10 or more TD's twice in his 10 year career. Antonio gates hasn't had a season where he caught 90 balls. Crumpler has never had a season of 65+ receptions, Jeremy shockey has bever had better than 75. Although wishful thinking is nice, TE aren't expected to put out that much production (90+ 10TD seasons). Thats what wide recievers are for and if we must continue to keep in the TE and block to help with QB protection because of a pourus line expect any TE we get to not catch more tha 60 balls a year. All in all I do believe that this will change with Cam coming in and an improved line will help break out the TE and free him up in passing situations. But even for the best TE's in the league those stats are very far fetched

rob19;1061774209[B said:
][/B]In Free-Agency I would target Asante Samuel for sure as the Patriots are likely to release him. The problem would be the big contract he would want. As for Adalius Thomas, the Baltimore Ravens have promised him that they will not franchise him. He is a possibility and a great fit in our system, but the 49’s have more cap space and a need at the same position. Briggs would cost even more than Thomas and would be less of a fit in our system. There is a Veteran Offensive Lineman I would target in Free Agency: Eric Steinbach (OG), he may be a realistic target.

As for the Draft

He's going to be too expensive. He wants champ Bailey money and he isnt worth Champ bailey money. And with his gay a** tatoo, who needs a player that only cares about the payday and himself and isnt a team guy

Great post, I agree with most of it except the TE situation. I do agree with you about trading McMichael but if you expect your TE to only be good if he catches 90 balls you're dreaming. Tony Gonzalez only caught more than 90 balls and topped 10 or more TD's twice in his 10 year career. Antonio gates hasn't had a season where he caught 90 balls. Crumpler has never had a season of 65+ receptions, Jeremy shockey has bever had better than 75. Although wishful thinking is nice, TE aren't expected to put out that much production (90+ 10TD seasons). Thats what wide recievers are for and if we must continue to keep in the TE and block to help with QB protection because of a pourus line expect any TE we get to not catch more tha 60 balls a year. All in all I do believe that this will change with Cam coming in and an improved line will help break out the TE and free him up in passing situations. But even for the best TE's in the league those stats are very far fetched

I agree about the TE position and the stats. Of course he's never going to be a 90/10 guy. But, the point I was making was not literally those numbers - or that they should be realistic - it was that with his baggage and lack of character the risks are there that his production needs to be better than the best TE's who are team players - like Gonzalez. Even Shockey is a guy who clearly wants to win and produces on the field when thrown the ball. He's a very good team player in that respect.

The point was a relative one, not an absolute. If he straightens up and becomes a good citizen, you can take less production. It's like Ricky. Given the risks, if he were only as good as Travis Minor, no one would want him. But, since he is possibly one of the 2-3 best backs in the league when healthy - you take the risk to bring him back.

WR is a serius issue and needs to be handled correctly. With our defense, we can win games. If we fix some of our age issues on the defensive side, and effectively USE the little talent on offense, we can easily win 10 games.

As for the Draft

Very good analysis.

----

On another point, bluehaze raised the issue of QB. I don't see that as a need position right now - except to perhaps draft a guy for long range (maybe we'll get a Tom Brady?).

Daunte Culpepper will be the QB. Give him a chance to get healthy and the potential is there. Unless a good young QB comes out of free agency, I don't see us taking one. Even if we take a guy in round 1 of the draft, there's no guarantee he'll succeed. Look at how many QB's have failed who were drafted in round 1! But, right now, given the team situation, it is my view that the other positions warrant greater attention.

I agree about the TE position and the stats. Of course he's never going to be a 90/10 guy. But, the point I was making was not literally those numbers - or that they should be realistic - it was that with his baggage and lack of character the risks are there that his production needs to be better than the best TE's who are team players - like Gonzalez. Even Shockey is a guy who clearly wants to win and produces on the field when thrown the ball. He's a very good team player in that respect.

The point was a relative one, not an absolute. If he straightens up and becomes a good citizen, you can take less production. It's like Ricky. Given the risks, if he were only as good as Travis Minor, no one would want him. But, since he is possibly one of the 2-3 best backs in the league when healthy - you take the risk to bring him back.

Absolutely right. I think at this point, we should trade him anyways. Peele was very good i thought with the amount of balls that were thrown his way (minus the holding penalty that took chambers TD away) and we can get a very serviceable TE in the draft or free agency. Trade Mcmichael and bring in someone to compete with Peele for the starting job

Offense:
WR - Ted Ginn Jr, Ohio St. (9)
LT - Ryan Harris, Notre Dame (41) Let McIntosh go

OG - Chris Dielman, San Diego Chargers - Kasey Studdard, Texas (167)
TE - Randy and Justin are fine.
Defense:
DE - Start Roth, resign Bowens, restructue/cut/trade Carter
DT - Let's see what we got in Evans, Vickerson, and Wright add Stanely Daughty, South Carolina (169)

OLB - Earl Everett, Florida (73)
CB - Nate Clements, Buffalo Bills - Kenny Scott, Georga Tech (105)
S - Bell, Allen start Renaldo Hill rotates.

Excellent post Da fins i believe you nailed it,i'll keep mine short,
Draft the X factor that is tedd ginn, our most glaring need is a playmaker on offense,he would be our reggie bush,the ability to line up anywhere on the field and take it to the house.

Sure up the outsidelinebacker position with a splash in free agency.

Sure up the oline with our other free agent,i figure we can afford two nice players,plus we have enough projects on our team.

In rounds 2 thru 7 i say we draft all defense to create young depth for our team.

Nice simple plan.
100 AMENS.

Would love to find some method of getting my hands on Paul Soliai and Dan Bazuin in this year's draft.

Would also love to come away with Levi Brown.

There's honestly so many options out there.

Here are the basics of what I would recommend:

1. Cut Jeno James; Sign a guard. Again, you've got options here. Kris Dielman is still playing chase-me games with San Diego and he is very close to Cameron. Leonard Davis is available. Eric Steinbach should be available. Too many high quality guard options to ignore the possible discount benefits of a flooded market.

2. Explore signing Adalius Thomas. Teams may actually shy away from the guy because of his age. The Ravens are. The 49ers have some players they like at the spot already, and may decide they'd rather keep drafting it rather than pay up for FA. There's a very real possibility he has to end up signing one of those "old guy" contracts that has a lot more bark than bite in terms of real dollars vs. how it looks in the presses. He fits what this defense needs like a glove. Not every team fits like Miami does for him. Sell him on that.

3. Let Holliday leave, but keep Carter, test David Bowens' market value, and do your damnedest to try and convince Keith Traylor to take on one more NFL contract before he retires. Matt Roth takes over the CE position, Carter moves inside to assume Holliday's old spot, and you don't miss a beat. David Bowens has too much value to us as JT's backup, a STs ace, and a pass down specialist to just let him twist in the wind if he's not gettin heavy action out there.

4. Forget Asante Samuel. But, quietly, see what kind of market is out there for Nate Clements. If Clements' market has been suppressed by Samuel's shadow, jump all over it. If not, no sweat.

5. Find out the market on all three of our main WRs...Booker, Chambers and Welker. Welker may actually be the easiest to move (as an RFA) and may present the most value. Do not hesitate to pull the trigger on that. Chambers & Welker do not mix, as they both need to be worked in the slot, and Hagan is just waiting to take over for Marty Booker. All three are expendable, it just becomes a matter of where the interest lies, who will grease our palms the most considering the transfer costs.

6. Cut Joey Harrington, Seth McKinney, and Bennie Anderson. Dead space.

7. You should come away from this draft with a C, a guard or tackle, a NT, a jumbo-sized OLB, and a FB. Optional positions from there, and especially if we manage to sell off some assets for draft picks, include: WR, QB, CB, S, and DE. You have to let the talent come to you at #9, the money is too great to go cherry-picking...but otherwise the draft is a heck of a lot more position picking than everyone likes to give credit for. Everyone keeps saying BPA, BPA, BPA, cuz it's so easy to say that but in reality you've got 30 guys all with the same grade sitting in front of you at most picks.

8. I'm not going to lie. The FO has their work cut out for them. We have something like 50% of the roster coming into free agency of some sort (restricted/unrestricted), or set to be cut. You can only fill like 6 roster spots with draft picks. The rest you've got to get the guys you want back re-signed and fill in the rest with some lower tier FAs.

Back
Top Bottom