Tanks for nothing! Did the Dolphins just ruin their offseason plans? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tanks for nothing! Did the Dolphins just ruin their offseason plans?

How can people not be excited about the fight this Flores coached team has shown? Oh yeah the sky is falling because it's burrows or Tua or bust. Minkah acted like a bitch good riddance, I don't want a player that doesn't want to be here. Love Marino as much as anyone but how much hardware did he get compared to Shula? Yeah right on good coaching doesn't play a factor in winning franchises. Oh yeah we traded Tunsil for 2 1st round picks, come next year he'll either get franchised and soon be the highest or one of the highest paid lineman ever. Yeah that's what we needed to keep in a rebuild, one lineman for the price of three good free agents. This place cracks me up at times.

Dolphins will be fine. Coaching has been above average, Flores is developing what talent we have, culture is changing and we have a load of draft picks and cap space........the LAST thing I’m going to be whining about is a couple of hard fought victories hurting my draft position.

Dolphins will be fine. Coaching has been above average, Flores is developing what talent we have, culture is changing and we have a load of draft picks and cap space........the LAST thing I’m going to be whining about is a couple of hard fought victories hurting my draft position.

We should of kept our LT ......

I still don't understand trading a young All pro LT to a playoff team even if it's for 2 1st and a 2nd and if you do go that route you gotta be fully committed to getting whatever player you have in mind.

All-pro???

Tunsil is not even close to being that. He's good, but hardly great. Most services have him ranked outside the top 10.

I think you gain much more by having the right staff then the highest picks in the draft. Not saying you don't need talent, the team needs an influx of talent, but seeing the staff work wonders with "who dat" players is impressive.

Trading Tunsil, yes, he is a great OT, but for what he would cost to keep and the picks we received, you could add three good lineman. You need assets, but I don't think having the best LT in the NFL is as important as having 3 good offensive lineman. We will most likely use a first on an OT, and people will cry "why trade him just to draft his replacement"..because, we still have another 1st and 2nd from that deal. Those picks can add to the talent.

I am a firm believer that QB success is determine by their situation...the reason so many top QB picks fail in the NFL is they go to really poor situations. The players has the talent, but they are with an organization and staff that is banking their careers on that player's success. They put too much on the player and fail to allow them to develop naturally. What B-more is doing with Jackson is one of the best QB paths I have seen a team take with a QB. It is brilliant. That is an excellent situation he is in and it is allowing him to develop and be a better QB then those drafted in front on him.

In the end, it will come down to Grier and the Front Office...many team maintain success and even get better picking consistantly in the 20s and while the focus tends to be on the QB in those organizations, the coaches are just as important to that success. Reid, Beli, Harbaugh, Peyton, Tomlin, Carroll are the top coaches in the NFL and they have great QBs...none of which have been chosen in the top 10 (Mahomes was 10). They found one of the many talented QBs that come out every year and found ways to give them early success without the team success being put on their shoulders.

We spend so much time scouting and evaluating QBs and pick at every aspect of their games..great arm, poor feet, bad decisions...etc, etc, etc...when in the end, the most important factor to that players success is going to be the situation they are in and the plan the staff has for that QB and his development.

Not gonna lie, this year has gone about as bad as I could’ve possibly imagined.

The Texans turned out to be good so the Tunsil pick is a late first. Woo

The Steelers pulled the luckiest year ever combined with playing the crappiest teams ever, including us, so that pick has turned out to be middle of the first. Yayy

The Dolphins now have 3 wins so zero chance of getting Burrow or even Young. You win with players not coaches in the nfl. Having a good coach is great but Flores would’ve been better off losing more and getting the top pick. He can keep fighting his heart out with Fitzpatrick but until he gets some real talent on the roster all he’s getting is a whopping handful of wins each year.

Gotta disagree with you bro.

Keep in mind, Tunsil was more than one pick. We are also getting the Texans 2021 first rounder and a second rounder pick. While I liked Tunsil, that trade was a windfall for us.

The Minkah trade, I actually do agree with you, but its not like we let him go for a second rounder. We are still getting a solid first round pick for him which will hopefully be a player that Flores wants, not someone else's leftovers.

But you really lost me when you said you win with players, not coaches. We can name all sorts of teams that won superbowls with joe-schmo at QB, but how many teams win superbowls with shitty head coaches? The coaching staff is the most important piece, QB possibly second.

You can build a solid team, especially when you have both picks AND money. Finding the coach and QB are the hard part.

We found the coach.

I think you gain much more by having the right staff then the highest picks in the draft. Not saying you don't need talent, the team needs an influx of talent, but seeing the staff work wonders with "who dat" players is impressive.

Trading Tunsil, yes, he is a great OT, but for what he would cost to keep and the picks we received, you could add three good lineman. You need assets, but I don't think having the best LT in the NFL is as important as having 3 good offensive lineman. We will most likely use a first on an OT, and people will cry "why trade him just to draft his replacement"..because, we still have another 1st and 2nd from that deal. Those picks can add to the talent.

I am a firm believer that QB success is determine by their situation...the reason so many top QB picks fail in the NFL is they go to really poor situations. The players has the talent, but they are with an organization and staff that is banking their careers on that player's success. They put too much on the player and fail to allow them to develop naturally. What B-more is doing with Jackson is one of the best QB paths I have seen a team take with a QB. It is brilliant. That is an excellent situation he is in and it is allowing him to develop and be a better QB then those drafted in front on him.

In the end, it will come down to Grier and the Front Office...many team maintain success and even get better picking consistantly in the 20s and while the focus tends to be on the QB in those organizations, the coaches are just as important to that success. Reid, Beli, Harbaugh, Peyton, Tomlin, Carroll are the top coaches in the NFL and they have great QBs...none of which have been chosen in the top 10 (Mahomes was 10). They found one of the many talented QBs that come out every year and found ways to give them early success without the team success being put on their shoulders.

We spend so much time scouting and evaluating QBs and pick at every aspect of their games..great arm, poor feet, bad decisions...etc, etc, etc...when in the end, the most important factor to that players success is going to be the situation they are in and the plan the staff has for that QB and his development.

The thing is Tunsil is an elite pass blocking LT at a premium position and is still very young, I think it's a bad idea to give up a proven young player for unproven young players especially when those unproven young players is coming from a mid 1st round selection. If a team would of proposed 2 1st and 2nd for Orlando Pace or Johnathan Ogden both BAL and STL would of told those teams to kick rocks, good Tackles are too hard to find.

I do agree that QB success is largely determined by the QB's situation, Prescott and Goff are good examples of that, (STL OL got old overnight lol)

This coaching staff has gotten this team to buy into the program. The players, play hard and play sound football. I believe the player turnover just before the season started, hurt the continuity that was being built during training camp. It was almost as if Miami started over. 25% of the players were cut or traded the week before the 1st game. The learning curve showed in that Miami went 0 - 7 before the break. Coaching once again brought continuity back into the fold and the team has improved immensely. I believe they'll find the right players who fit their system; no matter where they select in the draft. It's only a matter of time before Miami begins to win consistently. You got to believe in this leadership.

So now in the 3rd quarter of the season they're winning like they are the mediocre team they were. Remind me again, why are we impressed with these meaningless wins? The draft capital we have accumulated is fragile, we need the top talent playing in a system that works for their talent. I know the players want to play for something, but what would be best for the team is to use Parker sparingly and see more of Rosen for the rest of the season.

Not gonna lie, this year has gone about as bad as I could’ve possibly imagined.

The Texans turned out to be good so the Tunsil pick is a late first. Woo

The Steelers pulled the luckiest year ever combined with playing the crappiest teams ever, including us, so that pick has turned out to be middle of the first. Yayy

The Dolphins now have 3 wins so zero chance of getting Burrow or even Young. You win with players not coaches in the nfl. Having a good coach is great but Flores would’ve been better off losing more and getting the top pick. He can keep fighting his heart out with Fitzpatrick but until he gets some real talent on the roster all he’s getting is a whopping handful of wins each year.
Sorry after watching us draft Jake Long 1st overall, Ronnie Brown 2nd overall, trade up for Dion Jordan 3rd overall draft picks are overrated compared to a competent coaching staff. Bill Billicheat has won both with and without Tom Brady. Don Shula won with and without Dan Marino. Great player help definitely but great coaching gets and keeps you there.

Nope. They just ruined the couch GMs offseason plans.
Who tend to vastly undervalue coaching. Especially, the player development and system aspects of it. When you have an organization that excels at development and finding players that are a good fit for its system, slightly lower drafted players will do just fine.

Last edited:
"Do the Dolphins' draft plans get murkier as the team moves up the draft order? Sure. But the assumption that Miami getting the top-overall pick would provide them with a layup is asinine, as there is absolutely no such thing as a layup in the draft. Rather, player development is what mitigates risk for teams as they add prospects to their roster each season. And Miami is showing signs of life in that department — something the Dolphins have not seen in decades. It is a huge deal. And it transcends the need for the top pick in the draft."

:hclap:…… BUILD THE TEAM ... THE QB WILL FOLLOW... :munch: … "he can take his'n and beat your'n then take your'n and beat his'n" (BUM Phillips on Shula) … this is where it starts IMO

The thing is Tunsil is an elite pass blocking LT at a premium position and is still very young, I think it's a bad idea to give up a proven young player for unproven young players especially when those unproven young players is coming from a mid 1st round selection. If a team would of proposed 2 1st and 2nd for Orlando Pace or Johnathan Ogden both BAL and STL would of told those teams to kick rocks, good Tackles are too hard to find.

I do agree that QB success is largely determined by the QB's situation, Prescott and Goff are good examples of that, (STL OL got old overnight lol)

I fully understand that and I know that the only way that this makes sense s if we make good on those picks. failure at those picks will make this look like a horrible move for the phins. I will say that my view on the LT position is different than most. I don't know if it is still a premium position. Most pass plays in the NFL take place in under 2.5 seconds and that most teams these days can get by with good at that position and not need elite. Tunsil is an elite player, I won't downplay his ability because he is no longer a Dolphin, he could end up the best LT in the NFL, but the team needs 5 linemen, bad. Three picks and a ton of cash can help that (so could Tunsil, I still have this dream that Tunsil decides to test FA and we sign him back and win everything).

On Orlando PAce...I loved him as a player and still think he is perhaps the most dominant college player of all time (HE was a dominate NFL tackle as well).

Back
Top Bottom