Tanks for nothing! Did the Dolphins just ruin their offseason plans? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tanks for nothing! Did the Dolphins just ruin their offseason plans?

Great coaching!! Great players!! The fact is you need both in order to win the super bowl. You need the coaching staff and it seems we have that right now. But you also need the players. This coaching staff have the team playing hard and not giving up and we've won 3 games so far. Unless we get way more talent then this good coaching won't matter as far as winning a super bowl. The FO needs to get the right free agents which we haven't really done before and of course we need to hit on those draft picks.

I have confidence in this coaching staff(not just Flores) but we also need the players. It's going to be an interesting off season to say the least. I always look forward to the draft only to get disappointed with some of the picks we make but I'd like to think with all those picks it'll be different in April. We have the coaching now lets get the players.

The thing is Tunsil is an elite pass blocking LT at a premium position and is still very young, I think it's a bad idea to give up a proven young player for unproven young players especially when those unproven young players is coming from a mid 1st round selection. If a team would of proposed 2 1st and 2nd for Orlando Pace or Johnathan Ogden both BAL and STL would of told those teams to kick rocks, good Tackles are too hard to find.

I do agree that QB success is largely determined by the QB's situation, Prescott and Goff are good examples of that, (STL OL got old overnight lol)
I hope you're not saying Tunsil is in the same category as Pace or Ogden.

Either Rosen has been the guy all along, or the Fins are aiming for Herbert or Fromm.

First pick has to be Andrew Thomas then. I can see Herbert or Fromm dropping to teens or 20s.

Or, if Rosen is the guy all along, you bet theyre going to shore up the OL with Thomas and maybe Biadazs at C or Leatherwood for RT.

Either Rosen has been the guy all along, or the Fins are aiming for Herbert or Fromm.

First pick has to be Andrew Thomas then. I can see Herbert or Fromm dropping to teens or 20s.

Or, if Rosen is the guy all along, you bet theyre going to shore up the OL with Thomas and maybe Biadazs at C or Leatherwood for RT.
I think Fromm might be there in the 20's but I doubt Herbert will be. He's gonna do good at the combine and somebody will draft him top 10 imo.

The thing is Tunsil is an elite pass blocking LT at a premium position and is still very young, I think it's a bad idea to give up a proven young player for unproven young players especially when those unproven young players is coming from a mid 1st round selection. If a team would of proposed 2 1st and 2nd for Orlando Pace or Johnathan Ogden both BAL and STL would of told those teams to kick rocks, good Tackles are too hard to find.

I do agree that QB success is largely determined by the QB's situation, Prescott and Goff are good examples of that, (STL OL got old overnight lol)

wasn't Tunsil himself a mid 1st round selection?

Is it still going to be a success when Miami hits on important players and the qb and go 11-5 next year?

Yes.

Is it going to be a failure when they don't and pick bad players?

Yes.

It's all gonna work itself out one way or another.

I think you gain much more by having the right staff then the highest picks in the draft. Not saying you don't need talent, the team needs an influx of talent, but seeing the staff work wonders with "who dat" players is impressive.

Trading Tunsil, yes, he is a great OT, but for what he would cost to keep and the picks we received, you could add three good lineman. You need assets, but I don't think having the best LT in the NFL is as important as having 3 good offensive lineman. We will most likely use a first on an OT, and people will cry "why trade him just to draft his replacement"..because, we still have another 1st and 2nd from that deal. Those picks can add to the talent.

I am a firm believer that QB success is determine by their situation...the reason so many top QB picks fail in the NFL is they go to really poor situations. The players has the talent, but they are with an organization and staff that is banking their careers on that player's success. They put too much on the player and fail to allow them to develop naturally. What B-more is doing with Jackson is one of the best QB paths I have seen a team take with a QB. It is brilliant. That is an excellent situation he is in and it is allowing him to develop and be a better QB then those drafted in front on him.

In the end, it will come down to Grier and the Front Office...many team maintain success and even get better picking consistantly in the 20s and while the focus tends to be on the QB in those organizations, the coaches are just as important to that success. Reid, Beli, Harbaugh, Peyton, Tomlin, Carroll are the top coaches in the NFL and they have great QBs...none of which have been chosen in the top 10 (Mahomes was 10). They found one of the many talented QBs that come out every year and found ways to give them early success without the team success being put on their shoulders.

We spend so much time scouting and evaluating QBs and pick at every aspect of their games..great arm, poor feet, bad decisions...etc, etc, etc...when in the end, the most important factor to that players success is going to be the situation they are in and the plan the staff has for that QB and his development.

This is a great post FSU!

I have said it in other posts before but how can people honestly say they would have felt good by having the #1 pick by going 1-15 or 0-16, to me that proves the staff would have no ability to game plan, develop players or get a culture built where guys play hard and play together rather than treating the season as a personal 16 week tryout for next year.

So what are people saying they would personally prefer to be historically bad have no real faith in the coach calling this year "a freebie" (or whatever you would say to get yourself through it) have fewer assets built up, no faith in the front office but hey baby #1 pick and we get a QB (who btw is totally unproven and would come to a team with few assets expected to save the day).

Vs what we have in...

A coach and his staff developing players and making them believe in themselves, who have taken a thin roster at best and gotten 3 wins and now are being looked at for possibly leading the team to 5 wins, a GM who has 7 picks n the first 73 picks, a bunch of picks in 2021 and begun to build some faith up in his abilities by bringing in guys like Laird, Williams, Needham, Taco, Biegel and Boehm all who have contributed while some have shown flashes to be solid starters or more. BUT MY GOD the #5 PICK OMG WE WILL SUCK FOR 20 MORE YEARS.

Yeah your logic is strong on that one......

NOBODY and I mean NOBODY who is walking out of a tunnel Saturday is going to save this franchise on his own. They need a coaching staff, a culture and weapons. Every QB who has had success young has come to a team with a good coach, good FO, sat for a year or more and learned the game and was handed a team loaded with weapons.

And as far as the LT comments, how did the Browns do for all those years with Joe Thomas?? Best LT of this generation and won what like 35 games in his 10 year career. LT is important dont get me wrong but having a guy eat up 20% of the cap for a position that can transfer from the college to the NFL level easier than ever is ridiculous. And dont say he wouldn't have asked for a ton of money, every young FA wants to be the highest paid guy at his position.

I think you gain much more by having the right staff then the highest picks in the draft. Not saying you don't need talent, the team needs an influx of talent, but seeing the staff work wonders with "who dat" players is impressive.

Trading Tunsil, yes, he is a great OT, but for what he would cost to keep and the picks we received, you could add three good lineman. You need assets, but I don't think having the best LT in the NFL is as important as having 3 good offensive lineman. We will most likely use a first on an OT, and people will cry "why trade him just to draft his replacement"..because, we still have another 1st and 2nd from that deal. Those picks can add to the talent.

I am a firm believer that QB success is determine by their situation...the reason so many top QB picks fail in the NFL is they go to really poor situations. The players has the talent, but they are with an organization and staff that is banking their careers on that player's success. They put too much on the player and fail to allow them to develop naturally. What B-more is doing with Jackson is one of the best QB paths I have seen a team take with a QB. It is brilliant. That is an excellent situation he is in and it is allowing him to develop and be a better QB then those drafted in front on him.

In the end, it will come down to Grier and the Front Office...many team maintain success and even get better picking consistantly in the 20s and while the focus tends to be on the QB in those organizations, the coaches are just as important to that success. Reid, Beli, Harbaugh, Peyton, Tomlin, Carroll are the top coaches in the NFL and they have great QBs...none of which have been chosen in the top 10 (Mahomes was 10). They found one of the many talented QBs that come out every year and found ways to give them early success without the team success being put on their shoulders.

We spend so much time scouting and evaluating QBs and pick at every aspect of their games..great arm, poor feet, bad decisions...etc, etc, etc...when in the end, the most important factor to that players success is going to be the situation they are in and the plan the staff has for that QB and his development.

Congrats, and kudos...this is THE POST OF THE YEAR, in my opinion...

We should of kept our LT ......
You mean the guy that fell in the shower and missed two games? Perhaps you mean the guy that close to the lead in false starts? Good tackle but not great. Maybe is the guy who's going to want to be the higest paid OL in the league next year? He's certainly not worth what we got for him, quit whining, we heard you the first time.

You saw what kind of team Miami could be during the pre season games. They played much better than anyone expected, aside from the Offensive Line. The Depth on the team looked like the best they've had in many years. The teams beat writers were mentioning how much better, this coaching staff was in comparison to others in the past. Then came the makeover, at the beginning of the season, which completely threw a monkey wrench into what many fans and media types were thinking. The media, jumped on the tank Mantra and we fans were confused with the makeover. Now they've come together as a team and have surprised the NFL. Only good quality coaching can do with a roster like the one Miami currently fields. I can only imagine how good a team Flores and Company can field, with better players. This is going to be fun to watch and one hell of a ride to be on, once it starts

Last edited:
You mean the guy that fell in the shower and missed two games? Perhaps you mean the guy that close to the lead in false starts? Good tackle but not great. Maybe is the guy who's going to want to be the higest paid OL in the league next year? He's certainly not worth what we got for him, quit whining, we heard you the first time.

Bingo!

Good, even very good, but not great... much less elite. ...and we got elite value out of him.

Yes, it was a GREAT trade.

I hope you're not saying Tunsil is in the same category as Pace or Ogden.

I'm not saying he's in there category in fact I don't have any LT in today's game on that level but the same way those guys were the top pass blocking LT's during their era, Tunsil is also a top 3 pass blocking Tackle.

Back
Top Bottom