Tannehill, deep ball, big plays, and stretching the field | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill, deep ball, big plays, and stretching the field

normaldude

Starter
Reaction score
On a positive note, I noticed that..

1) Ryan Tannehill's 7.5 yds/pass attempt is the best of his career. His deep ball chemistry with Kenny Stills seems better than with Mike Wallace.

2) For number of passing plays of 20+ yds, Miami is ranked #8.

3) For number of passing plays of 40+ yds, Miami is ranked #7.

4) Miami is now ranked #12 in yds/pass attempt, and #2 in yds/rush attempt. Going forward, Miller & Ajayi should provide a decent 1-2 RB punch.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ryantannehill/2532956/profile

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...nference=ALL&d-447263-s=PASSING_AVERAGE_YARDS

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...nference=ALL&d-447263-s=RUSHING_AVERAGE_YARDS

UPDATE: I broke down the Air Yards vs YAC on the 2nd page of this thread

http://www.finheaven.com/showthread...etching-the-field&p=1065573526#post1065573526

Last edited by a moderator:
What percentage of heart does it say they have? Because I don't see any.

it's all YAC.

the mathews slant.
the sick landry plays.
miller screens and swings.

it's not coming from a vertical passing game.

it's all YAC.

the mathews slant.
the sick landry plays.

Did you watch the game today? Beautiful passes to Stills

it's all YAC.

the mathews slant.
the sick landry plays.

Thats cause its not a vertical passing game...and its your ocs doing

Did you watch the game today? Beautiful passes to Stills

of course i remember it. we all do.

every time we connect on a vertical everyone can remember it because it's happened all of about 5 times since ryan got here.

of course i remember it. we all do.

every time we connect on a vertical everyone can remember it because it's happened all of about 5 times since ryan got here.

This post tells me you're one of the people holding an impossible standard. No qb completes 80% of their deep passes or whatever number you guys need. Look at Wallace in Minnesota. Not fighting for the ball or doing much at all. Do you blame bridgewater? It's f***ing nuts how he needs to complete 95% of his passes to even get a pass from some people here. Don't even get us started on the hot mess of an OL

And like hoops said, that's the offense we run. Of course it's all about rac. JFC.

Thats cause its not a vertical passing game...and its your ocs doing

It's the guards, it's the OC, it's the RB not getting north and south. . . . :lol:

Lord knows Lazor called so much off balanced stuff to keep Miami in that game because he knows the liability this QB is to the entire offense when you get behind, and get one dimensional against this Buffalo defense.

Your lack of accountability towards the QB has reached levels of nauseum for many people.

We've watched this kid for 3.5 years . . . you really believe the OC is holding him back from a vertical passing game? Come on dude . . . Buffalo and New England were literally BEGGING Ryan Tannehill to throw the ball down the field . . . they know he won't and if for some strange reason he does and he connects, they come right back up and say "bet you can't do it again".

Rush 4, keep 4 in front of the first down . . . Ryan's almost always going short . . . . you think that is all OC? You think he's that robotic that the OC is forcing him to throw it short and allow his playmakers to break tackles to get the first? 3rd and 5 in the first quarter, throw it a yard short of the LOS and maybe Landry will get 6? If you really think the OC is directing him to do that . . . . they need to throw Ryan's azz on the bench because that's a complete lack of faith/trust in him that has built up over practice/games the last 1.5 years. Any SANE Qb is going to try to make plays and not do the same thing over and over and over . . . you know . . . thats the definition of insanity.

Lets not forget his tunnel vision on Landry almost always, even when covered, while Stills is the much better option in on that play in the 2nd half (don't worry, I'm not rewatching that crap, I truly am not that interested in seeing it again). Guess I can't blame him tho . . . Landry saved like 3 INTs today.

What about this kid in the pocket . . . at least he found the hot read once or twice today when Buffalo blitzed, but his feet are all jumbled, has no natural movement when trying to evade pressure, looks awkward as hell for some reason when trying to scramble . . . I mean if he's not being directed to run it's just uncomfortable for him to do it when the play breaks down . . . don't think teams don't know this about him . . . I'd almost keep him in read option because at least it forces him to make a split second decision on keeping or handing off. I don't like this kid having to think so much . . . smart kid, but he needs to be quicker.

He's the worst kind of quarterback man . . . so inconsistent, flashes enough just so you don't lose out hope on him and will always be better than the crap we've seen over the last 15 years . . . . which is the exact reason why he gets so much defense on this board . . . . we've seen the lowest of the low, and Tannehill isn't that and people don't wanna go back to that . . . but this kid will break your heart over and over until you realize 5 or 6 years have gone by and you are setting with a sub .500 record and no playoff appearances.

And he'll get his 5 years because his contract dictates him next year so we'll see this through but I have very little hope for him . . . he'll continue to flash every once in a while and people will get sarcastic with the "but he can't do this" . . . but in the end, he'll be the same inconsistent mess that has polarized this board arguably more than any player.

But go ahead and continue giving him every excuse in the book to comfort your opinion on him and continue asking me to point out specific plays (which I won't do because I don't rewatch or try to remember this type of crap) and ridicule me for not having them on a silver plate for you . . . . I don't claim to be a "guru" on analyzing football plays, in fact, I don't rewatch them . . . I watch enough football to know that this quarterback will never lead this team anywhere, he doesn't do the things that successful qbs in this league do on a consistent basis.

I agree! The team as a whole is average to below average and that includes the QB. There are some talented players (Landry, Miller, Ajayji, Suh) but not enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
"He's the worst kind of quarterback man . . . so inconsistent, flashes enough just so you don't lose out hope on him and will always be better than the crap we've seen over the last 15 years . . . . which is the exact reason why he gets so much defense on this board . . . . we've seen the lowest of the low, and Tannehill isn't that and people don't wanna go back to that . . . but this kid will break your heart over and over until you realize 5 or 6 years have gone by and you are setting with a sub .500 record and no playoff appearances."

This is well said. I remember alot of people defending Jay Fiedler for a long time too. I think an important non-statistic where Tannehill is concerned, is how many badly thrown balls get caught and so end up as completions. So many balls over the years either behind or over receivers, and that doesn't even take into account deep balls. The guy can't throw deep, period....anyone that can't see that is either in denial, hasn't watched enough or played enough football or I don't know what. Keep hearing year after year how he's "working on the deep ball".....when did that become an acquired skill?? Blame the O-Line, Blame Mike Wallace, Blame Philbin.......sooner or later you run out of people to blame and you have to see that this kid may have heart and some ability, but he is going to lose you more games than not. The only way they will ever win with Tannehill is with a lock-down D that will allow them to truly commit to running the ball. And that's not where they're at and playing catchup and Ryan Tannehill will never go together. This is all going to amount to more lost time.

If you watch Lazor's press interview from last week,

he ACTUALLY says RT's most improvement has been on passes over TEN YARDS.

It reminded me of a Monty Python skit.

When it's 3rd and 3 he throws a pass at the line of scrimmage.

It does appear that they have been working around this since he has been drafted.

Why draft a QB that has problems passing over ten yards?

Tannen-bomb should be the FIRST to go

Some amazing posts here.

I don't need to see the stats to confirm what I can see with my own eyes. When we throw the ball downfield, we are very good and have a lot of success.

The problem as I see it....is we do not do it enough.

RT's deep ball has gotten better and his ability to hit deep outs or middle to deep passes over the middle is very good.....but our game plan doesn't call for it enough.

it's all YAC.

the mathews slant.
the sick landry plays.

I was going to ask of how many of those 20+ and 40+ plays, has the ball traveled that length vertically in the air. With that being said however Tom Bradys while game is comprised of short passing and YAC

Some amazing posts here.

I don't need to see the stats to confirm what I can see with my own eyes. When we throw the ball downfield, we are very good and have a lot of success.

The problem as I see it....is we do not do it enough.

RT's deep ball has gotten better and his ability to hit deep outs or middle to deep passes over the middle is very good.....but our game plan doesn't call for it enough.

They are compensating for a crappy OL. They only take deep shots occasionally because if defenses began predicting the long passes, they would sack the QB on nearly every attempt.

Back
Top Bottom