Tannehill During 2016 Win Streak Vs Ajayi "carrying Him"? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill During 2016 Win Streak Vs Ajayi "carrying Him"?

LoneStarPhin

Active Roster
Reaction score
I've seen references that the reason for our 2016 7 win streak (in RT's last 8 games) is that Ajayi was carrying Tannehill. Facts:

1. In first 2 games of streak, Ajayi averaged 209 yds and 7.9 ypc.

2. In final 5 games of win streak, Ajayi ran for only 360 yards, averaging 72 yds and 3.7ypc.

3. In first 2 games, Tannehill averaged 228 yds, 8.0 ypa, 68.4% completion. he threw 1TD for a .5/0 td/int.

4. In last 5 games, Tannehill averaged 208 yds, 7.7ypa, 68.4% completion, 2.2/.4 td/int (11 TDs and 2 int).

5. In the the last two wins, where Ajayi rushed an average of 47yds and a paltry 2.4ypc, Tannehill averaged 240yds, 9.6ypa, 70% completion, and threw 6TDs with 1 int.

I think we can put that myth to bed. Truth is, Tannehill "arrived" and was just hitting his stride when the injury occurred.

FIN FANS- WE SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY STOKED FOR THIS FALL ONCE THIS TEAM JELLS!

Great post, but some people will still give all the credit to Ajayi

Inaccurate Post.

"In last 5 games, Tannehill averaged 208 yds, 7.7ypa, 68.4% completion, 2.2/.4 td/int (11 TDs and 2 int)."

You left out the stinker in Baltimore where he threw 3 Interceptions

last 5 games he threw 11 TD's and 5 Ints. Still pretty good but why exaggerate?

Inaccurate Post.

"In last 5 games, Tannehill averaged 208 yds, 7.7ypa, 68.4% completion, 2.2/.4 td/int (11 TDs and 2 int)."

I think he was going through the 7 wins. Anyhow, yes that was a stinker for everyone. I'm stoked too. I mean if you're not stoked in May what's the point?

I'm stoked too. Should be a lot better than we were last year.

Here's what needs to be know about Tannehill's play in 2016. When playing against bottom of the barrel teams he played well. When he faced stiff competition he played, well, like Tannehill.

The bottom 10 teams in 2016 - (Teams Miami beat led by Tannehill in bold)

1. Cleveland Browns
2. San Francisco 49ers
3. Chicago Bears
4. Jacksonville Jaguars
5. Los Angeles Rams
6. New York Jets
7. Los Angeles Chargers
8. Carolina Panthers
9. Cincinnati Bengals
10. Buffalo Bills

Tannehill was 8-5 as a starter and 7-5 in games he started and finished.

Five of the wins were against teams in the bottom 7 in the league.

The win against the 10th worst team in the league (Buffalo) was benefited by Ajayi finished 28 rushes, 214 yards and 1 TD.

The "one" win Miami had under Tannehill against a winning team (Pittsburgh) Ajayi finished with 25 rushes, 204 yards and 2 TD. Tannehill was an efficient 24 of 32, 252 yards, 0 TD, 0 int.

The win against another team with a losing record (Arizona) was Tannehill's best game of the season. Understanding the context, the Cardinals defense had fallen apart in the second half of the season particularly after the Honey-badger went down with an injury and missed the Dolphins game. Arizona was in the middle of an 8 game skid in which the defense was giving up over 30ppg. Moore also was credited with a GWD after the Cardinals tied the game.

Tannehill numbers against teams with losing records:

133-200, 1566 yards, 15 TD, 4 int, 106.79 QB rating

Tannehill numbers against teams with non-losing records:

128-189, 1429 yards, 4 TD, 8 int, 79.44 QB rating (most of the positive numbers were put up against NE in the second half after NE amassed a 31-3 lead laying off receivers and the Pittsburgh game with Ajayi rushing for 204 yards)

So you assumed I exaggerated instead of just re-reading to make sure? DolfanISS read it correctly- as I stated: " 2016 7 win streak (in RT's last 8 games) "

The post was about those giving Ajayi the credit for the wins- it wasnt about the lone loss. Yes, everyone stunk in that game- it happens.... (especially against Ravens! :) )

So you assumed I exaggerated instead of just re-reading to make sure? DolfanISS read it correctly- as I stated: " 2016 7 win streak (in RT's last 8 games) "

The post was about those giving Ajayi the credit for the wins- it wasnt about the lone loss. Yes, everyone stunk in that game- it happens.... (especially against Ravens! :) )

I did read correctly, You stated in last 5 games. Baltimore was one of those games. You left it out of your numbers.
What good is compiling stats in only wins. That is like me only counting my pars on the golf course and discounting every double and triple bogey.
Useless. You have to take it all in.

In fact, Matt Moore outplayed Tannehill in 2016...

Miami on 3rd down with Tannehill:

52 of 149 = 34.9%

Miami on 4th down with Tannehill:

0 of 4 = 0%

Miami wins under Tannehill:

Cleveland (OT) = Worst

San Francisco = 2nd Worst

L.A. Rams = 5th Worst

NY Jets = 6th Worst (tie)

SD Chargers = 6th Worst (tie)

Bills = 10th Worst (tie) - Ajayi 214 yards, 1 TD

Cardinals = 13th Worst (left in 3rd quarter, Moore led Miami to GWD)

Steelers = 26th Worst (tie) - Ajayi 204 yards, 2 TD

Tannehill QB stats overall = 261 of 389 (67.1%), 2995 yards (7.7 YPA), 19 TD 12 INT = 93.5 QB rating

Tannehill QB rating vs teams with non-losing record = 128 of 200, 1429 yards, 4 TD 8 INT = 79.44%

Miami PPG under Tannehill = 21.61

Sack % = every 13.41 pass attempts

Tannehill’s opponents record vs teams beat = 35-77 (.312) if including AZ = 42-85-1 (.333)

Miami on 3rd down with Moore:

23 of 51 = 45.1%

Miami on 4th down with Moore:

2 of 4 = 50%

Moore QB stats overall = 84 of 123 (68.29%), 1010 yards (8.21 YPA), 9 TD 4 INT (includes Pitt) = 104.05 QB rating

Moore QB rating vs teams with non-losing record = 53 of 70, 494 yards, 3 TD 2 INT = 96.96

Miami PPG under Moore = 24 (includes Pitt in playoff), 27.33 without Pitt

Sacks = every 20.5 pass attempts (includes Pitt in playoff) every 87 pass attempts without Pitt

Moore’s opponents record vs teams beat = 12-20 (.375)

AdamC- now as a counter to your counter, the NFL DEFENSIVE RANKINGS of the 7 teams the Fins defeated were:

2, 9, 11, 12, 16, 31, 32. Average ranking: 16th. Middle of the road and nothing for Fins to be ashamed about.

I did read correctly, You stated in last 5 games. Baltimore was one of those games. You left it out of your numbers.
What good is compiling stats in only wins. That is like me only counting my pars on the golf course and discounting every double and triple bogey.
Useless. You have to take it all in.

Well, I'm not here to be your grammar teacher, though you might need one. Again, the post was about the 7 wins, and Ajayi getting credit for them. It had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LOSS. So whether I talked about the first one, or the last one, or the 4th one, or the 3rd one, it refers to the 7 wins. Sorry if you disagree, but you're wrong (and a little persnickety I would think). You might go back and read every sentence again and you'll see I was referrring only to the wins. I think most readers would get that.
Most.

Everyone knows we did not win 7 in a row and everyone knows we got our ass kicked by Ravens. That's pretty much a given. The post very clearly was not about that.

I

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom