Tannehill During 2016 Win Streak Vs Ajayi "carrying Him"?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LoneStarPhin, May 14, 2018.

1. LoneStarPhin

LoneStarPhin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I've seen references that the reason for our 2016 7 win streak (in RT's last 8 games) is that Ajayi was carrying Tannehill. Facts:

1. In first 2 games of streak, Ajayi averaged 209 yds and 7.9 ypc.

2. In final 5 games of win streak, Ajayi ran for only 360 yards, averaging 72 yds and 3.7ypc.

3. In first 2 games, Tannehill averaged 228 yds, 8.0 ypa, 68.4% completion. he threw 1TD for a .5/0 td/int.

4. In last 5 games, Tannehill averaged 208 yds, 7.7ypa, 68.4% completion, 2.2/.4 td/int (11 TDs and 2 int).

5. In the the last two wins, where Ajayi rushed an average of 47yds and a paltry 2.4ypc, Tannehill averaged 240yds, 9.6ypa, 70% completion, and threw 6TDs with 1 int.

I think we can put that myth to bed. Truth is, Tannehill "arrived" and was just hitting his stride when the injury occurred.

FIN FANS- WE SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY STOKED FOR THIS FALL ONCE THIS TEAM JELLS!

2. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Great post, but some people will still give all the credit to Ajayi

3. LoneStarPhin

why of course, because teams gameplanned to stop Ajayi at all costs, allowing Tannehill
    to rise above mediocrity!

but i choose to be excited!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins Finheaven VIP

Inaccurate Post.

"In last 5 games, Tannehill averaged 208 yds, 7.7ypa, 68.4% completion, 2.2/.4 td/int (11 TDs and 2 int)."

You left out the stinker in Baltimore where he threw 3 Interceptions

last 5 games he threw 11 TD's and 5 Ints. Still pretty good but why exaggerate?

5. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I think he was going through the 7 wins. Anyhow, yes that was a stinker for everyone. I'm stoked too. I mean if you're not stoked in May what's the point?

6. Fins1971

I'm stoked too. Should be a lot better than we were last year.

7. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

Here's what needs to be know about Tannehill's play in 2016. When playing against bottom of the barrel teams he played well. When he faced stiff competition he played, well, like Tannehill.

The bottom 10 teams in 2016 - (Teams Miami beat led by Tannehill in bold)

1. Cleveland Browns
    2. San Francisco 49ers
    3. Chicago Bears
    4. Jacksonville Jaguars
    5. Los Angeles Rams
    6. New York Jets
    7. Los Angeles Chargers
    8. Carolina Panthers
    9. Cincinnati Bengals
    10. Buffalo Bills

Tannehill was 8-5 as a starter and 7-5 in games he started and finished.

Five of the wins were against teams in the bottom 7 in the league.

The win against the 10th worst team in the league (Buffalo) was benefited by Ajayi finished 28 rushes, 214 yards and 1 TD.

The "one" win Miami had under Tannehill against a winning team (Pittsburgh) Ajayi finished with 25 rushes, 204 yards and 2 TD. Tannehill was an efficient 24 of 32, 252 yards, 0 TD, 0 int.

The win against another team with a losing record (Arizona) was Tannehill's best game of the season. Understanding the context, the Cardinals defense had fallen apart in the second half of the season particularly after the Honey-badger went down with an injury and missed the Dolphins game. Arizona was in the middle of an 8 game skid in which the defense was giving up over 30ppg. Moore also was credited with a GWD after the Cardinals tied the game.

Tannehill numbers against teams with losing records:

133-200, 1566 yards, 15 TD, 4 int, 106.79 QB rating

Tannehill numbers against teams with non-losing records:

128-189, 1429 yards, 4 TD, 8 int, 79.44 QB rating (most of the positive numbers were put up against NE in the second half after NE amassed a 31-3 lead laying off receivers and the Pittsburgh game with Ajayi rushing for 204 yards)

8. LoneStarPhin

So you assumed I exaggerated instead of just re-reading to make sure? DolfanISS read it correctly- as I stated: " 2016 7 win streak (in RT's last 8 games) "

The post was about those giving Ajayi the credit for the wins- it wasnt about the lone loss. Yes, everyone stunk in that game- it happens.... (especially against Ravens! :) )

9. LoneStarPhin

AdamC- I respect your post. That is a good counter/defense to my post. Refreshing when people argue facts with facts. We'll see how this Fall plays out!

John Biello and srp1979 like this.
  10. Fins1971

I did read correctly, You stated in last 5 games. Baltimore was one of those games. You left it out of your numbers.
    What good is compiling stats in only wins. That is like me only counting my pars on the golf course and discounting every double and triple bogey.
    Useless. You have to take it all in.

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  11. AdamC13

In fact, Matt Moore outplayed Tannehill in 2016...

Miami on 3rd down with Tannehill:

52 of 149 = 34.9%

Miami on 4th down with Tannehill:

0 of 4 = 0%

Miami wins under Tannehill:

Cleveland (OT) = Worst

San Francisco = 2nd Worst

L.A. Rams = 5th Worst

NY Jets = 6th Worst (tie)

SD Chargers = 6th Worst (tie)

Bills = 10th Worst (tie) - Ajayi 214 yards, 1 TD

Cardinals = 13th Worst (left in 3rd quarter, Moore led Miami to GWD)

Steelers = 26th Worst (tie) - Ajayi 204 yards, 2 TD

Tannehill QB stats overall = 261 of 389 (67.1%), 2995 yards (7.7 YPA), 19 TD 12 INT = 93.5 QB rating

Tannehill QB rating vs teams with non-losing record = 128 of 200, 1429 yards, 4 TD 8 INT = 79.44%

Miami PPG under Tannehill = 21.61

Sack % = every 13.41 pass attempts

Tannehill’s opponents record vs teams beat = 35-77 (.312) if including AZ = 42-85-1 (.333)

Miami on 3rd down with Moore:

23 of 51 = 45.1%

Miami on 4th down with Moore:

2 of 4 = 50%

Moore QB stats overall = 84 of 123 (68.29%), 1010 yards (8.21 YPA), 9 TD 4 INT (includes Pitt) = 104.05 QB rating

Moore QB rating vs teams with non-losing record = 53 of 70, 494 yards, 3 TD 2 INT = 96.96

Miami PPG under Moore = 24 (includes Pitt in playoff), 27.33 without Pitt

Sacks = every 20.5 pass attempts (includes Pitt in playoff) every 87 pass attempts without Pitt

Moore’s opponents record vs teams beat = 12-20 (.375)

12. LoneStarPhin

AdamC- now as a counter to your counter, the NFL DEFENSIVE RANKINGS of the 7 teams the Fins defeated were:

2, 9, 11, 12, 16, 31, 32. Average ranking: 16th. Middle of the road and nothing for Fins to be ashamed about.

illscriptures, tay0365 and joenhre like this.
  13. LoneStarPhin

Well, I'm not here to be your grammar teacher, though you might need one. Again, the post was about the 7 wins, and Ajayi getting credit for them. It had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LOSS. So whether I talked about the first one, or the last one, or the 4th one, or the 3rd one, it refers to the 7 wins. Sorry if you disagree, but you're wrong (and a little persnickety I would think). You might go back and read every sentence again and you'll see I was referrring only to the wins. I think most readers would get that.
    Most.

Everyone knows we did not win 7 in a row and everyone knows we got our *** kicked by Ravens. That's pretty much a given. The post very clearly was not about that.

I

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  14. RonniesRightArm

RonniesRightArm Member

Imagine that, when your ground game is feared it opens everything up for the passing game and vice versa

illscriptures and lurking like this.
  15. LoneStarPhin

Sorry, Adam, but I literally quit reading your post after that statement at top. If there was something meaningful after that, I guess my loss.... :)

FinaticalOne and FinaticalFinfan like this.
  16. AdamC13

And this was coming off 2015 in which Tannehill led Miami to a 6-10 record against a cupcake schedule which was very similar to the cupcake schedule Miami had in their 2008 season making the playoffs going 11-5.

The two divisions Miami played in 2015 were the NFC East and AFC South.

NFC East

Washington 9-7
    Philadelphia 7-9
    NY Giants 6-10
    Dallas 4-12

AFC South

Houston 9-7
    Indianapolis 8-8
    Jacksonville 5-11
    Tennessee 3-13

and the other 2 teams Miami played outside of their division were:

Baltimore 5-11
    San Diego 4-12

That schedule was so soft the Jets were able to muster a 10-6 record sandwiched between 4-12 and 5-11 seasons.

Seriously, how in the world is Tannehill considered to be a leader of this franchise and good QB? Ya'll CRAZY that think so!!

17. AdamC13

Exactly, that is how over-hyped Tannehill is a QB with some Dolphin fans. The only way to stay in denial about Tannehill being a good QB that will lead Miami to wins is to ignore that the backup actually outplayed Tannehill at his peak.

18. LoneStarPhin

Exactly. The Fins were playing good football. Some games Ajayi played great. Other games, he was pretty much shut down (4 of the 7 games he averaged 62yards). One thing was constant though- Tannehill never had a bad game in those 7 wins. Some weren't great, but none were bad.

tay0365 likes this.
  19. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

lol, Moore-ons...

kevphin and rickd13 like this.
  20. LoneStarPhin

If only I had not seen the games, then I might actually not laugh at your statement and ponder it. :)

21. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Miami never won 7 in a row that season.

Fins1971 likes this.
  22. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Your obsession with a single player is pretty amusing. Still none of those stats and records you are throwing out there mean much if anything in 2018. The team is a lot different now. We will see how they perform on the field. Tannehill is going to be the starter in 2018, no matter how many stats you post. You will either be here at the end of the season to tell everyone that you told them so, or you will disappear if Tannehill plays well while the team wins, or you will actually enjoy the team winning and if Tannehill does play well maybe you will give him a little credit. Only time will tell. Now continue on with your obsession.

23. LoneStarPhin

you're absolutely correct! that's why I never said they did. you might want to read some of the other posts :)

24. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Hard to believe that there are people that still don't understand that nobody can win alone in football. It's the most team sport there is. This is not basketball where one guy alone can make such a big difference. Yes I know great players make a difference but we're talking 22 starters and ST's that often have a lot to do with who wins a game. Nobody will carry anybody all the way. In order to win in the NFL you still need a TEAM.

25. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Yeah you said a “7 win streak”. What is that?

26. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

As I've said before, we need a league where it's only QB's on the field throwing at targets. Some here would be happy that everything was finally all about the quarterback

Danny and FinfanInBuffalo like this.
  27. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

You are partially correct. For some, it is all about Tannehill when we lose and all about the rest of the team when we win.

crumpdaddy and rickd13 like this.
  28. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

I would say that Ajayi's play and Tannehill's play worked hand in hand. An offense that isn't one dimensional is certainly going to be more productive. Look at how Ajayi's #s dropped in 2017 when Cutler and the passing game struggled. I think the running game will be even better in 2018 because IMO overall Drake is a more talented RB than Ajayi. He isn't going to break as many tackles as Ajayi, but he is a much bigger threat in the passing game. Drake is also a bigger threat to break a run for a TD. Also the Offensive Line should be much better. It will come down to how well Ryan and his new weapons play together. If everyone plays to their potential, I believe this offense will score more points than the offense did in 2016.

tay0365, cullenbigcstill and Danny like this.
  29. Danny

lol

30. Danny

Some would still complain about the targets.....lol

Sarnics13 and rent this space like this.
  31. Martel13

Martel13 Since '84 Super Donator

Adam C did the research that none of us care to do because we don’t have time and it’s pretty clear to most people watching football that Tannehill isn’t nearly as good as some of you think he is. Thx for doing that Adam C you’re the real MVP

32. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Finheaven VIP Donator

The only thing that is clear to me is that a win is a win is a win.

This notion that he excelled only against bad teams is straight-up hogwash.

I mean, it’s tough enough as is to win in the National Football League and you have those who feel it necessary to discredit a win just because they deem it not impressive enough due to the quality of opponents.

So you’re telling me that the team performed adequately and did what they’re “supposed” to do by beating the teams their “supposed” to beat but somehow that’s a negative in some people’s book.

Absolutely mind boggling.

33. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

**insert yawning gif here

why do people have to constantly produce the most obscure stats in a vacuum to try to convince people that Tannehill sucks? Is there really nothing positive that's happened with this team recently to talk about? I sure think there is.

34. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

....and that's why it amazes me when a football player guarantees a win, there are so many moving parts to a Football team (O,D and ST) so much to go wrong. Thill is a big part of this team, hell, the most important part on the field for that matter....Let's give him another chance now that he has more pieces to work with........we'll see.

FinaticalFinfan likes this.
  35. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Thill needs a balanced equation to achieve decent results... Ryan is NOT a difference maker @QB and is NOT going to lead the team to wins they really don't have the "right" to win.

The best you can say about Thill is that he's "functionally competitive" and (we have to hope) doesn't lose games that are winnable. But (barring a significant transformation) he's not remotely a Marino Montana etc. who could CARRY a team. And I see no evidence Gase is the next Bill Walsh.

Sum = we beat the teams we should. Win a few that are borderline. And pretty much play at the top end of our well established box. 9-7. 10-6. 1st round bye bye.

Does anyone REALLY see Ryan as a SB winning QB???

36. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Wow what insight this is. Sure would’ve been useful in the Tannehill is Boring thread where a poster from Buffalo keeps yammering that Luck’s stellar division record is due to the crap teams he plays against in the AFC South.

But he’s clearly pwning everyone over there, to some. Freaking hilarious.

Ray R likes this.
  37. miami365

miami365 Rookie

This. Every win counts especially when you start 1-4 regardless of the opponent. Also bear in mind that there are teams we feel we should beat but on the other side of the coin I'm sure there are teams that chalk down Miami as an easy win as well especially when our D consistently hands out career passer ratings to the likes of McCown and Tyrod Taylor.

number1fin likes this.
  38. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

We wouldn’t want to give Ryan a consistent ground game or OL, I mean that would be straight up ..

He needs to ‘overcome’ all that

Ray R likes this.
  39. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin There's one, set for stun Moderator Finheaven VIP

Ok guys let's stick to the topic and leave out the personal and political comments. If I have to delete anymore posts they will be accompanied with points next time.

40. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

TH has always been at his best as a play action QB, that’s not even debatable. He will never be the guy that carries the team like the top QBs, but we can win with him, if everything is good around him.