Tannehill During 2016 Win Streak Vs Ajayi "carrying Him"? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill During 2016 Win Streak Vs Ajayi "carrying Him"?

Thill needs a balanced equation to achieve decent results... Ryan is NOT a difference maker @QB and is NOT going to lead the team to wins they really don't have the "right" to win.

The best you can say about Thill is that he's "functionally competitive" and (we have to hope) doesn't lose games that are winnable. But (barring a significant transformation) he's not remotely a Marino Montana etc. who could CARRY a team. And I see no evidence Gase is the next Bill Walsh.

Sum = we beat the teams we should. Win a few that are borderline. And pretty much play at the top end of our well established box. 9-7. 10-6. 1st round bye bye.

Does anyone REALLY see Ryan as a SB winning QB???
Yes.

Meanwhile Ajayi is now being sued for $tens of thousands for trashing a short term Hollywood mansion rental, not abiding by the no smoking or no party lease provisions and pushing the owner when confronted. Maybe his character issues are a lot greater than even depicted.

Ajayi's #s reduce because the teams are emphasizing stopping the run. That helps Tanny just like it would help any QB. All we need is a decent running game - Tanny doesn't have to be Aaron Rogers, and its unlikely he will be.

Like Arron Rodgers, you mean try to carry his team but get injured?

IMHO Tom Brady is the only QB in the league that consistently carries his team. The rest of the names that get added are wrong.

Certainly like all QBs, he benefited when the running game is operating on all cylinders but you can say the same about Wilson benefiting from Beast Mode , Prescott obviously benefiting from Zeke, even Brees turning around a -6 deficit win 3 year streak with Kamara and Ingram etc. There are very few QBs, especially ones not as mobile as Wilson who benefit from keeping the defense honest with a formidable running game. I know someone here has already debunked the "Ajayi Effect" but really, it's just nitpicking in attempting to discredit the salutary effect of the QB who that year was the 2nd or 3rd most deadly long ball passer despite the abysmal OL.. and had the 4th highest QBR from that rare clean pocket. .

I think the biggest misconception by some posters on this board, the national media and rival fans (obvious by the ones I talk to) is Dolphins fans are waiting for Tannehill the superstar QB to return and carry the team to the playoffs. They feel like that is what we expect and we are going to be disappointed because they don't believe for a second that Ryan is anything more than an average to below average starter (I don't agree with this). They didn't suffer through 16 games of Jay Cutler and Matt Moore and standings/stats watching doesn't tell the story. The QB play for Miami was inconsistent and most of the time abysmal. For the majority of the season it was at a lower level than Tannehill has ever played at. Just easy routine things missed.

What this group fails to realize is most reasonable Dolphins fans are waiting to see a QB who can make routine plays consistently and this will GREATLY improve the offense because it was so bad last year. Seriously look at Cutler's best game vs the Pats on Monday night. Even in his best game he left at least 14-21 points off the board (OK Jakeem Grant helped out too). Tannehill will be more consistent and accurate with the football and alone will make a huge difference. Anything else he brings to the table will be a bonus.

Why are we still talking about Ajayi?
I'm still amazed how much conversation there is about Tannehill, figured the draft would quell the topic but I think it's gotten worse. Other than how he will fare w/ new offensive teammates, there has been nothing to advance the Tannehill conversation since the last down he played in 2016. Same old, tired debates. Training camp will be a welcome breath of fresh air around here.

giphy_DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.gif

Tannehill is stronger today than he was yesterday.

There is always a positive.

If you watch Ajayi, though he does break tackles, he also was caught in the backfield quite a bit. Drake rarely if at all got caught in the backfield.

Ajayi and those monster games were great, the breaking of tackles were fun, but you know what helps a QB more, consistency.

A RB that is very hard to get in the backfield will kill a defense, because even if you stop him to only getting 1 or 2 yards, that still means on 3rd down you need to get between 6 - 8 yards, which is much better then 3rd and double digits...which happened quite a bit with Ajayi.

Tannehill in many of those games had to overcome those deep 3rd downs, with Drake it is going to feel like night and day, considering not only does Drake rarely get caught in the backfield, or is able to get chunk yardage like Ajayi, Drake is also a good receiver...so let defenses try to stop that while also remembering Tannehill now also has TEs to throw to as well as receivers.

why of course, because teams gameplanned to stop Ajayi at all costs, allowing Tannehill
to rise above mediocrity!

but i choose to be excited!
Probably right but your not being dolphin politically correct so your post is doomed for failure from the masses. Ha.

I've seen references that the reason for our 2016 7 win streak (in RT's last 8 games) is that Ajayi was carrying Tannehill. Facts:

1. In first 2 games of streak, Ajayi averaged 209 yds and 7.9 ypc.

2. In final 5 games of win streak, Ajayi ran for only 360 yards, averaging 72 yds and 3.7ypc.

3. In first 2 games, Tannehill averaged 228 yds, 8.0 ypa, 68.4% completion. he threw 1TD for a .5/0 td/int.

4. In last 5 games, Tannehill averaged 208 yds, 7.7ypa, 68.4% completion, 2.2/.4 td/int (11 TDs and 2 int).

5. In the the last two wins, where Ajayi rushed an average of 47yds and a paltry 2.4ypc, Tannehill averaged 240yds, 9.6ypa, 70% completion, and threw 6TDs with 1 int.

I think we can put that myth to bed. Truth is, Tannehill "arrived" and was just hitting his stride when the injury occurred.

FIN FANS- WE SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY STOKED FOR THIS FALL ONCE THIS TEAM JELLS!

I rewatched the Pittsburgh game last night. Box score readers will see:

24 of 32 for 252 0 TDs and 0 INTs for a nice 97.4 passer rating and 30 points scored.

They won't see that he had two TD passes dropped and one TD pass called back for a formation penalty.

The first drop negated a 26 yard TD pass on their opening drive and resulted in a FG instead (after another dropped pass by Ajayi). 4 points lost.

The second TD dropped was on the same drive as the formation penalty. That was the same drive as the incredible 53 yard pass to Gray where he stepped out at the 1 yard line. That's three passes on the same drive that could have or should have been TDs. 4 points lost.

The final drive of the half featured a 39 yard pass to Landry down to the Pitt 2 yard line that resulted in a rushing TD.

The box score reader sees 3 FGs and i rushing TD in the half.

I see a QB that has played lights out and well enough to have 3 TD passes.

The second half begins with a long drive that results in a blocked FG.

Two drives later there is another missed FG.

The next drive eats 7 minutes off the clock in the 4th quarter.

Finally in the last minute of the game, Ajayi gets 62 TD run that adds to the stats but is no more responsible for the win than getting 1 first down and running out the clock.

The box score reader sees the final stat line and says no TD passes and he was carried by the running game. I see a QB that played very well, made a few throws that very few can make and managed the game extremely well. There was only one three and out and only two punts in the game (the second was late in the game after burning off a bunch of clock and punting from the Pitt 36 yard line).

For those keeping score, that's 14 points lost in a game where 30 points were scored.

Another one is the Baltimore game who we just don't match up well against. Flacco was struggling up to that point in the season but our D laid down for him. Despite all that Tannehill didn't play as bad as his stats suggest.

Back
Top Bottom